Don't go to specialty restaurants

tommyj4

How do you know "the cost of the original meal.."?

You don’t really know the cost but there is still some value to it. Just wondering when people decide if that is part of the thought when deciding if it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first “Specialty” experience was on Ocean Princess March 4th 2001.

It was the first night of Sterling Steak House. I think we were the only pax that night (Cruise Director at the table next to us.)

It was very good. The charge was $8/pp. we ate there all seven nights.

Fast forward to 2018. We were on MSC Seaside in January. The prices were crazy and the restaurants were not busy. Waiters were trying to up sell constantly everywhere all day and night.

I think they may have raised prices too high.

I agree. Unfortunately, it is supply and demand. People like to feel they are getting an "exclusive" experience and are willing to pay for it.

I, personally, wish they would just charge me a little more on my fare and have all the dining options available.

"They" (i.e., the cruise industry) already have what you want on premium/luxury lines. For example, Oceania includes all specialty restaurants (unlimited) in the cabin fare (along with beverages, internet, airfare/air credit and a choice of alcohol, excursions or OBC).

When one compares select similar itineraries including all anticipated bottom line trip expenses, the resulting value of a premium line (particularly a Oceania and Azamara) compared to better mass market lines (e.g., Celebrity, Disney, etc) is pleasantly surprising.

You don’t really know the cost but there is still some value to it. Just wondering when people decide if that is part of the thought when deciding if it’s worth it.

Two answers:

I don't consider it since I have no idea what that value is.

Regardless of what that value maybe, it is a "sunk cost". One does not consider "sunk costs" when considering future courses of action.

Two answers:

I don't consider it since I have no idea what that value is.

Regardless of what that value maybe, it is a "sunk cost". One does not consider "sunk costs" when considering future courses of action.

Correction. One shouldn’t consider sunk cost but studies galore show that they do. Big business do too and again this is shown in all the research on sunk costs.

I'm curious, when people are thinking of the price of specialty restaurants. Do you consider the cost of the original meal that is paid for as cost of the cruise or do you consider the cost by itself? Just wondering about the thought process as the prices seem to keep climbing.

I think most people are asking themselves if a specialty restaurant is worth x dollars more than the MDR or windjammer vs if it's just worth it on its own, and I'd be surprised if people weren't.

I think most people are asking themselves if a specialty restaurant is worth x dollars more than the MDR or windjammer vs if it's just worth it on its own, and I'd be surprised if people weren't.

I would think that’s the case but sometimes when someone says the price for a specialty restaurant is cheap I wonder.

I have a little different viewpoint about cruising.

I remember when air travel was an experience and people dressed up for the plane ride. Then the airlines started marketing to the groundlings and it has now become like an airborne New York subway ride.

I also remember when an ocean cruise was an experience and people dressed up for the cruise. Then the cruise lines started marketing to the groundlings and it has become like a floating county fair with the Beverly Hillbillies.

We now look at cruising as basic transportation to get from the US to Europe or Europe to the US. We don't expect five-star dining anymore, we expect the shows to be over-amplified, we expect to see feral children run loose, and we expect to see chair hogs.

But we don't expect to pay extra for food when there's plenty in the MDR and the buffet.

Love the attitude.....and the Latin.

Margy

The more people that go to these restaurants the more expensive they become. If this trend continues I can see having to pay to go to the MDR and the only included food on your cruise will be in the buffet. I have been to 5 star restaurants and the service and the food in the specialty restaurants are anything but.

Specialty restaurants are not going away. People make choices everyday and they can choose where they want to have meals onboard. We personally enjoy very much Izumi onboard and that is a type of food that is never served in the MDR. We have enjoyed Sabor one time, and it was nice.....but I think some of the pricing for it, is HIGH. It is just Mexican food.....I can pay less for that at home and enjoy it just as much.....so everyone makes choices.

I have a little different viewpoint about cruising.

I remember when air travel was an experience and people dressed up for the plane ride. Then the airlines started marketing to the groundlings and it has now become like an airborne New York subway ride.

I also remember when an ocean cruise was an experience and people dressed up for the cruise. Then the cruise lines started marketing to the groundlings and it has become like a floating county fair with the Beverly Hillbillies.

We now look at cruising as basic transportation to get from the US to Europe or Europe to the US. We don't expect five-star dining anymore, we expect the shows to be over-amplified, we expect to see feral children run loose, and we expect to see chair hogs.

But we don't expect to pay extra for food when there's plenty in the MDR and the buffet.

Were you on titanic? Geez. These are Caribbean cruises and it is hot. Of course people dress causally. I’m quite happy one doesn’t need to wear a coat and tie when, cruising, playing golf, etc like back in the early 1900s.

I’m also quite happy to wear shorts when I fly since they pack us and in like cattle. In those good old days average people couldnt afford to fly or cruise and flights were much more comfortable.

Things change and I’m guessing by far most think it is for the better now or the ships wouldn’t be the way they are today. Cruising is definitely different today but pretty much everything is and we all have to adapt.

I have to agree there is something neat about the old ways but dang I would be horribly uncomfortable having to dress like that all day and night and I’m glad things are casual nowadays.

Were you on titanic? Geez. These are Caribbean cruises and it is hot. Of course people dress causally. I’m quite happy one doesn’t need to wear a coat and tie when, cruising, playing golf, etc like back in the early 1900s.

I’m also quite happy to wear shorts when I fly since they pack us and in like cattle. In those good old days average people couldnt afford to fly or cruise and flights were much more comfortable.

Things change and I’m guessing by far most think it is for the better now or the ships wouldn’t be the way they are today. Cruising is definitely different today but pretty much everything is and we all have to adapt.

I have to agree there is something neat about the old ways but dang I would be horribly uncomfortable having to dress like that all day and night and I’m glad things are casual nowadays.

There is a picture of a young woman using the exercise bike on, IIRC, Titanic. Yes, she was wearing an ankle length skirt, white blouse, and a very large hat.

I'm in topnole's camp . Cruises, over all, are better and better today. Having a balcony in a largely smoke free environment with various food options while not being limited to a set dining time

is Great !

Yes things have changed . There are clearly a lot of extra ways today to spend your money. Cruising is

clearly less inclusive then in the past . C'est la vie ! Things change and these extras keep the cruise price lower . Go, don't go to the specialty restaurants . Make your own choices. :ship::ship:

No we don't.

I guess that is true. You are free to wear a 3 piece suit from sun up till retiring for the night in your stateroom. Better yet wear one on your next flight and enjoy the time it takes to get through security and then try to squeeze into what they call a seat as your running n your nice suit. Then you will realize why people dress the way they do. The world changes and spending too much time complaining about it is pointless but it is your perragotive to do so.

It is kind of ironic that the revelolutionary technology behind so much recent change in this world was created by the older generations (baby boomers and the prior generation) and it is often them that pine for the good old days.

I guess that is true. You are free to where a 3 piece suit from sun up till retiring for the night on your cruise. Better yet wear one on your next flight and enjoy the time it takes to get through security and then try to squeeze into what they call a seat as your running n your nice suit. Then you will realize why people dress the way they do. The world changes and spending too much time complaining about it is pointless.

It is kind of ironic that the revelolutionary technology behind so much recent change in this world was created by the older generations (baby boomers and the prior generation) and it is often them that pine for the good old days.

There's a significant difference between wearing a three piece suit and shorts/flipflops/wifebeater/backwards baseball cap at dinner. Same goes for the close quarters of a long haul economy flight. A little decorum (e.g., "country club casual") would a long way to making things pleasant for the widest range of passengers.

There's a significant difference between wearing a three piece suit and shorts/flipflops/wifebeater/backwards baseball cap at dinner. Same goes for the close quarters of a long haul economy flight. A little decorum (e.g., "country club casual") would a long way to making things pleasant for the widest range of passengers.

True but I rarely see such attire and I think the occurrences of this are over blown. Plus nice shorts and a collared shirt and yes even sandel or flip flops look better than what some people pass of as casual or even formal where.

Some of the guys and gals on formal night wear zip away travel pants with a blue blazer and orthodic shoes or house pants with a 1970s gemstone blouse and buster brown shoes look ridiculous. It is very sad actually because I think they think they are dressed properly for the occasion.

I prefer a modern suit on formal night but I also wear shorts out on other nights but they are dress shorts and No I don’t wear wife beaters.

I would think that’s the case but sometimes when someone says the price for a specialty restaurant is cheap I wonder.

Your post made me think about my own personal views....

So in real life at home (not on a cruise) I'm taking my loved one out for dinner.... we walk down the main road of my home town, and come across two restaurants side by side:

Choice #1) is called the "MDR/MTD restaurant"... as reported by many: lineups to get in even with a reservation, a likelyhood of lukewarm food, suspect service due to overworked staff, tables really close together so zero privacy or intimacy, zero view unless you get a window table, no drink service, organized chaos with servers running around everywhere, reviews of people leaving the restaurant and going to a local buffet venue (ie. Windjammer) instead, many reviews saying buffet food actually better (Like on this forum quite often) and all the other numerous issues associated with MDR

Choice #2) is called the "Specialty Place".... It's $20 per person more.... no lines, gauranteed reservation I get seated right away, less tables (many, about a 1/3 let's say, with a view), more servers, less tables, food made to order when you order it, hot food when it's ready, upscale choices, better quality, tables farther apart, intimate dining ambiance, non-rushed and personal service

$20-$25 difference (5 night or ultimate dining package)? I feel that the above is not that far from our actual choices when considering the current RCL MDR vs. specialty debate.

Edited by Hoopster95

It is so different on different ships. We had Thanksgiving cruise on Anthem and Christmas/NY on Grandeur last year.

On Anthem it was close to #1 description although we got a table by the window every night (they kept sitting us there) and food was pretty good, but yes, lines and close tables.

On Grandeur we were seated by the rail (our choice, could’ve requested a window), never experienced any lines, even 1 person, had decent distance between the tables. Assistant manager or other staff greeted us by the entrance by our family name and walked us to our table(MTD , but reserved)

Food again was very good to excellent (mind you, we never thought RCCL was a foodies line, that’s Celebrity and Princess for us). And it usually took us approximately 1 hour to dine even though we often requested several appetizers and entrees each.

I love these types of threads, shows the diversity of people! We always eat in the MDR, we don't feel the need to pay extra for the specialty dining. I have never been rushed, always have great service and the food is decent enough. I have never had an issue sending back something I don't like and get what I do like. They always are willing to work with my needs.

Ditto.... Our group of 10 love the MDR. We always enjoy the food and get great service. Last year, on Adventure OTS, the floor manager, Anthony, brought my wife an off menu curry dish each night. And our sever found me my favorite dessert, orange sherbet, every night, even though it was not on the menu. He even brought me some at our last night dinner at Giovanni's (we do 1 specialty dinner each cruise, usually last night).

I think it is what you make it. If you go to the MDR expecting so so food and marginal service, you'll probably get it. If you go to enjoy yourself, you probably will.

So in real life at home (not on a cruise) I'm taking my loved one out for dinner.... we walk down the main road of my home town, and come across two restaurants side by side:

Choice #1) is called the "MDR/MTD restaurant"... as reported by many: lineups to get in even with a reservation, a likelyhood of lukewarm food, suspect service due to overworked staff, tables really close together so zero privacy or intimacy, zero view unless you get a window table, no drink service, organized chaos with servers running around everywhere, reviews of people leaving the restaurant and going to a local buffet venue (ie. Windjammer) instead, many reviews saying buffet food actually better (Like on this forum quite often) and all the other numerous issues associated with MDR

Choice #2) is called the "Specialty Place".... It's $20 per person more.... no lines, gauranteed reservation I get seated right away, less tables (many, about a 1/3 let's say, with a view), more servers, less tables, food made to order when you order it, hot food when it's ready, upscale choices, better quality, tables farther apart, intimate dining ambiance, non-rushed and personal service

$20-$25 difference (5 night or ultimate dining package)? I feel that the above is not that far from our actual choices when considering the current RCL MDR vs. specialty debate.

In the past I have done the specialty restaurants but it seem the cost is well above $20 any more. The other issue I have is I feel a little like I’m rewarding them for lowering the dining experience in the MDR.

Sorry but the criticisms of the mdr are often way over blown. Go to Giovanni’s on oasis and tell me that place isn’t hectic. Oh, and tables side by side and no view. My dad was star class and took my wife and I one trip and we had to wait 30 mins after our reservation time to get seated. It was a hot mess to say the least.

Add to this that many criticize many of the pay restaurants too. So your comparisons are a bit exaggerated in many cases. I get where you’re trying to go with this but your examples are too extreme and simply not necessarily the case.

I booked the BOGO Specialty Dining for $30 at $15 per night its a great deal even if the venue is chosen for the first night which can be changed if available.

I never had a bad meal at Chops,Giovannis and Portifinos. I had a better steak at Chops than at Black Angus.

If there is a problem with the meal then please speak to your server or the manager. We had an issue and the manager comped us an additional meal!