Port Tax/Fee Refund If We Choose To Stay On Ship

offtopic

I tried to search but didn't see anything about this.

My question is that if we choose to stay on board (we don't want to get off at Roatan, heard horrible things) can we go to guest services and get the port taxes and fees refunded to us for that port since we didn't actually get off the ship and visit the location?

My question is that if we choose to stay on board (we don't want to get off at Roatan, heard horrible things) can we go to guest services and get the port taxes and fees refunded to us for that port since we didn't actually get off the ship and visit the location?

That's too bad. We enjoyed Roatan very much. We booked a private charter and although we drove through some less than stellar looking areas, I had no complaints about the port or our tour. I realize the risk in booking outside of the cruise line vendors but I did a significant amount of research and this one was well reviewed. Seems a shame to miss such a great place, but it's obviously your decision.

Enjoy your cruise!

Roatan is a good port. Beautiful waters.

Hmmmm. Maybe if you were to jump overboard 2 miles off shore in international waters and wait until the ship come back in the evening, you could avoid the port tax.

A few years ago we stayed on the ship when docked in Jamaica and did get a credit... It was small something like 9 dollars each. We did not request it, it just appeared and when we asked we we're told it was the refund of the Port fees.... So you may get something, but don't expect much.

A few years ago we stayed on the ship when docked in Jamaica and did get a credit... It was small something like 9 dollars each. We did not request it, it just appeared and when we asked we we're told it was the refund of the Port fees.... So you may get something, but don't expect much.

I received a small refund of port fees even after getting off at each stop. I just assumed the fees went down.

Beautiful scuba and snorkeling, right off the ship there is a shopping area, bar, restaurant, very nice place....

There is next to nothing right off the ship. Are you confusing it with the Carnival dock area?

Wow sounds like there is stuff to do here after all. I love to snorkel so will look into it.

The reason I was planning on staying onboard the ship was that I was told that there are people begging and emaciated children and dogs everywhere.

we don't want to get off at Roatan, heard horrible things)

Not sure where you got this advice. We love Roatan. Take an island tour, go to the beaches, snorkeling is great. Maya Key, just across the bay from the dock at Coxen Hole is very nice. If docking at Mahogany Bay, there is a nice beach, shopping and restaurants at the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

that happens if the port fees is less then what the cruise lines estimate when you booked a cruise or you missed a port

Roatan is by far my favorite port on a Western Caribbean cruise. Hire a driver to show you around their island. Go to the West End. Enjoy the scenery. It's a beautiful place.

Can't comment on the West End, but I have been to Roatan 3 times. It isn't bad. It's WAY better than Falmouth (or anywhere in Jamaica) or Costa Maya, Mexico, in my opinion. One time we went to a small island spa (since closed, I believe, this was about 10 years ago), recently we went to Little French Key (enjoyable), and once a while ago we got off and just walked around (which I do not recommend.)

Hope you reconsider and find something fun to do!

Can't comment on the West End, but I have been to Roatan 3 times. It isn't bad. It's WAY better than Falmouth (or anywhere in Jamaica) or Costa Maya, Mexico, in my opinion. One time we went to a small island spa (since closed, I believe, this was about 10 years ago), recently we went to Little French Key (enjoyable), and once a while ago we got off and just walked around (which I do not recommend.)

Hope you reconsider and find something fun to do!

We are very open to this port, thank you for your input. Our ports include Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan, and Harvest Caye.

The reason we were planning on staying onboard the ship in Roatan was that I was told that there are people begging and that there are emaciated children and dogs everywhere. Now that I'm hearing from honest cruisers that it may be one of the best ports on our itinerary we will be looking into snorkeling spots.

First of all, yes, you will hear negatives about Roatan but you hear a lot more positives. I think you are making a mistake not visiting the island. We have cruised about 40 times now and it is one of our favorite ports. That, however is your decision. But no, the ship is charged port charges etc based on the number of people on the ship, not based on how many actually get off the ship.

As for beggers and dogs etc everywhere, there must be two Roatans. We have never seen either. Yes, there is poverty which is what much of the Caribbean is, but the positives out weigh the negatives. Do book a tour that includes beach time or crab a taxi when you get off the ship.

Edited by newmexicoNita