Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

One of the things that I find interesting is that there is no statement available on Carnival's website about this. Sure, they've had their people come out and make statements, but big deal.

Their website has nothing but "feel good" material. I think it shoes real character when a company can publicly acknowledge its failures alongside it's successes. I guess that's just me though.

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. If it was the "family" that initiated the call, then what better way to shift blame then by portraying yourselves as the victims.

Exactly.... I don't record random calls in the middle of the night. There is way more to this.

that sounds really far fetched tho. I think I'll give the person who called a relative crying begging for them to call the federal police the benefit of doubt that they needed help, not think it's part of some elaborate plan to flip blame.

Crazier things have happened.

A troll goes after someone's character and tries to make them angry or put them on defense. I hope that's not how you feel, because a brand should never become that close to our identity. I'm with everyone here who's shocked, wants change, and feels for those passengers.

I kind of felt your posting fit this definition ...... perhaps I was mistaken? :rolleyes::confused:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

The captain should be fired why didnt he take ship to nearest port and have these idiots arrested

I've read on here that no port would take them...or something? That makes me wonder, what do you do if that happens? I suppose cruise ships don't have a brig? It seems like they should have some way of containing people.

One of the things that I find interesting is that there is no statement available on Carnival's website about this. Sure, they've had their people come out and make statements, but big deal.

Their website has nothing but "feel good" material. I think it shoes real character when a company can publicly acknowledge its failures alongside it's successes. I guess that's just me though.

I get what you are saying Keys2Heaven. While I appreciate Carnival admitting that their security was not following policy and that they are investigating, it would have been reassuring if they not only put up a public statement on their website, but went above and beyond by emailing those of us who have booked cruises some type of reassurance regarding our safety. An email costs them nothing.

Also, I’m not sure what to think about the family’s claims. I’ve read more than a few articles and there are quite of few unrelated passengers who had various negative experiences with them. If their family were innocent, their attorney would have provided a statement to the media loooong ago. Why wait until x # of days later to address these claims? More than likely the family doesn’t like the worldwide press coverage.

I was just on their website looking for some statement..in my boredom...I looked at their legal notices..way down in section 5 this is what I found interesting

"Carnival and the Master reserve the right to disembark any unfit Guest or any Guest whose behavior affects the comfort, enjoyment, safety or wellbeing of other Guests or crew members. Guests disembarked in such circumstances shall be liable as set forth in Paragraphs 2 and 10. Carnival reserves the right to debark, deny boarding, or cancel the reservation without refund, compensation, or payment of any Guest who is unfit to travel"

Hmmmm

[/font][/color]

I've read on here that no port would take them...or something? That makes me wonder, what do you do if that happens? I suppose cruise ships don't have a brig? It seems like they should have some way of containing people.

Ordinarily, the cruise lines confine guests to their cabins.

I thought they always had brigs onboard also. Certainly, not the capacity needed for this family.

A quick google search showed pictures of a supposed "brig" that many claimed was actually a brig on a Navy ship and that no, cruise ships don't have proper brigs.

This may sound stupid, but how do they confine people to their cabins? Overriding the normal door functions? Posting a guard?

I thought they always had brigs onboard also. Certainly, not the capacity needed for this family.

In many cases, yes. But the largest cruise ship brig I've seen only held 2 people. If Legend does have a brig, I don't imagine the capacity being any more than 1.

[/font][/color]

This may sound stupid, but how do they confine people to their cabins? Overriding the normal door functions? Posting a guard?

They post guards, turn off their cruise cards, and do regular checks. Also, if you do a Google image search for "cruise ship brig," Carnival Valor's comes up at the top. It's the one with the blue padded walls.

How much control does the Captain really have? What happens to a Captain if corporate decides a situation was not handled appropriately? Suppose he diverts to put these passengers off and corporate later second guessed him for the costs associated with this action such as refunds to other passengers, fuel used, and lost revenue.

How many cells in the brig? It might accommodate a few but not a group this big. Confining to cabins would appear to work of the passengers involved agreed to some degree to stay in the cabin. Would there have been enough security to guard cabins of all members in this family and still maintain security for the rest of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[/font][/color]

A quick google search showed pictures of a supposed "brig" that many claimed was actually a brig on a Navy ship and that no, cruise ships don't have proper brigs.

Have read of security being outside a cabin!

On a ship like the Legend, it wouldn't too hard to sequester a larger group, the deck 1 forward Firebird Lounge usually used for movies/comedy club could easily be guarded, and there are a lot of couches the 'bad boys/girls could sleep on, and bathrooms at the entry door!!

In many cases, yes. But the largest cruise ship brig I've seen only held 2 people. If Legend does have a brig, I don't imagine the capacity being any more than 1.

They post guards, turn off their cruise cards, and do regular checks. Also, if you do a Google image search for "cruise ship brig," Carnival Valor's comes up at the top. It's the one with the blue padded walls.

Thank you Aquahound. You have been great over the years to provide an inside perspective of things onboard.

Family-A bunch of unruly drunk idiots! ..how did they get that way? Well your honor we served them! Security- Aww hell ,I am embarrassed as a security professional! That was pathetic and scary! No further comment needed! Carnival-screwed, let the lawsuits begin! ---So how many times did your security staff and a guy in whites kick this man while he was on the floor?

We have seen the videos many times on TV news here in Oz. I have been able to see that the kicking appeared to be an attempt to get one aggressor to release a headlock he had on his 'opponent'. Perhaps a desperate attempt to prevent a passenger fron being choked to death? Then so be it.

Some posters are saying that the security personnel are untrained. I would say inadequately trained. From my observations security staff have been drawn from Indian, Fillipino and Indonesian armed forces and/or police. Their training standards may not equate to that of US or Australian LEOs. This does not excuse their behaviour but perhaps explains it. Anyways, lets hope that all cruiselines can learn from this event and upgrade their standards and procedures. Happened once, could happen again.

I think that a Captain should have control of his ship and the people on it. If not there can be anarchy on board.

Please excuse the different size of type.

It just happened.

I have to disagree. Captain is only one individual. Captain does not make hiring decisions in regards to onboard security. Captain does not control the budget for onboard security. Captain is not in charge of the training onboard security receives. One man or woman can only do so much. Not fair to call the Captain out. Carnival corporate put this Captain in a poor position.

We have seen the videos many times on TV news here in Oz. I have been able to see that the kicking appeared to be an attempt to get one aggressor to release a headlock he had on his 'opponent'. Perhaps a desperate attempt to prevent a passenger fron being choked to death? Then so be it.

Some posters are saying that the security personnel are untrained. I would say inadequately trained. From my observations security staff have been drawn from Indian, Fillipino and Indonesian armed forces and/or police. Their training standards may not equate to that of US or Australian LEOs. This does not excuse their behaviour but perhaps explains it. Anyways, lets hope that all cruiselines can learn from this event and upgrade their standards and procedures. Happened once, could happen again.

I hear what you are saying and agree.... a stun gun would have been a welcome tool in this situation.

I have to disagree. Captain is only one individual. Captain does not make hiring decisions in regards to onboard security. Captain does not control the budget for onboard security. Captain is not in charge of the training onboard security receives. One man or woman can only do so much. Not fair to call the Captain out. Carnival corporate put this Captain in a poor position.

I'm sure that the captain is well aware of the level of training that his security staff have, and as such should have, as I stated in an earlier post, taken strong and decisive action against the offenders before things escalated.

Don't blame security for the captains lack of leadership. The captain is just that, The Captain, the buck stops with him.