Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

I have to disagree. Captain is only one individual. Captain does not make hiring decisions in regards to onboard security. Captain does not control the budget for onboard security. Captain is not in charge of the training onboard security receives. One man or woman can only do so much. Not fair to call the Captain out. Carnival corporate put this Captain in a poor position.

Sorry, but the Master of a ship, similarly to a Pilot-in-Command, has the specific duty to say "this vessel is not

seaworthy and will not sail under my command" when appropriate. This includes having adequate security

staffing aboard.

People love to say the Captain is always to blame when things turn bad. Again, one man or woman and many onboard departments. That is why there are experts that are on Carnival's payroll in charge of security. I can't say what the root cause is for the breakdown of Carnival's security onboard Legend was, but don't blame the visible Captain. The people to truly blame are not onboard.

Edited by coaster

Family of over 20, do Tasers come in multi shot?;p

Let’s not dilute the discussion with facts. That said, they can do multiple taser shots (when touching) but only shoot as in project the leads connected to wire one time without reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sure I missed it but WHERE is this family from? I saw they "targeted" Australian passengers for their drunken attacks. Why?

As for Security being under-trained, cruise lines don't normally have groups of 20+ roving drunken thugs looking for trouble. Yes, they probably weren't trained to handle such a situation but these situations just DON'T happen on cruise ships. This family was reportedly out for trouble from the moment they boarded (of course you can argue that crew SHOULD have been alerted then and given the option of cooling down or getting off the ship before sailaway!). Sadly the world is becoming angrier and I guess it was only a matter of time before that carried over onto the seas. I did like that at least the security folks locked several members in their cabins overnight.

I have to disagree. Captain is only one individual. Captain does not make hiring decisions in regards to onboard security. Captain does not control the budget for onboard security. Captain is not in charge of the training onboard security receives. One man or woman can only do so much. Not fair to call the Captain out. Carnival corporate put this Captain in a poor position.

I disagree. He has the power and the staff/crew to take control. Just like the control he has over his ship when the PAX need to abandon ship. He is in control of the ship and gives the orders to keep people safe and to get them off the ship, if needed.

I agree to disagree with you.

People love to say the Captain is always to blame when things turn bad. Again, one man or woman and many onboard departments. That is why there are experts that are on Carnival's payroll in charge of security. I can't say what the root cause is for the breakdown of Carnival's security onboard Legend was, but don't blame the visible Captain. The people to truly blame are not onboard.

Okay, you get threatened by a thug on the cruise, report it to he captain and he does................................ nothing. And you want to blame Head Office.

In 2015, on Holland Nieuw Amsterdam, a woman was raped by a crew member and almost thrown over board!

How about some other incidents/charges, on other cruise lines,,,,

Feb. 2018 P&O fight breaks out between 7 people forcing ship back to port! (Sydney)

Feb. 2018 RCL sexual assault on a minor.

Jan 11 NCL sexual assault on a child by crew member.

Jan 8 NCL drug arrests.

Jan 1 RCL assault, stabbing.

Jan 1 NCL passenger arrested.

I could list hundreds more for the years previous, seems like it includes every cruise line, 'yea even the expensive ones', and it runs from petty theft, fighting, to child rape, and even murder!:eek:

So lets chill out, what happened doesn't just happen on cruise ships, it can, and does happen all the time, around us! There are a lot of sick people out there!:eek:

But that being said, you gotta live, can't hide from the world, we'll be cruising this weekend!:D:D

It could just be me, but I have a hunch that a similar list for Carnival would be about 10 times this long!

I am sure I missed it but WHERE is this family from? I saw they "targeted" Australian passengers for their drunken attacks. Why?

As for Security being under-trained, cruise lines don't normally have groups of 20+ roving drunken thugs looking for trouble. Yes, they probably weren't trained to handle such a situation but these situations just DON'T happen on cruise ships. This family was reportedly out for trouble from the moment they boarded (of course you can argue that crew SHOULD have been alerted then and given the option of cooling down or getting off the ship before sailaway!). Sadly the world is becoming angrier and I guess it was only a matter of time before that carried over onto the seas. I did like that at least the security folks locked several members in their cabins overnight.

All reports say there where from Melbourne Australia

I disagree. He has the power and the staff/crew to take control. Just like the control he has over his ship when the PAX need to abandon ship. He is in control of the ship and gives the orders to keep people safe and to get them off the ship, if needed.

I agree to disagree with you.

A Captain with poor equipped and poor trained security onboard. Captain has ultimate control at sea, but is up against the wall knowing onboard resources are overpowered. Ask onboard passengers if there are experienced security personnel and/or active retired and military personnel to help respond to the threat? Again, I can't point fingers at the Captain.

Edited by coaster

I was just on their website looking for some statement..in my boredom...I looked at their legal notices..way down in section 5 this is what I found interesting

"Carnival and the Master reserve the right to disembark any unfit Guest or any Guest whose behavior affects the comfort, enjoyment, safety or wellbeing of other Guests or crew members. Guests disembarked in such circumstances shall be liable as set forth in Paragraphs 2 and 10. Carnival reserves the right to debark, deny boarding, or cancel the reservation without refund, compensation, or payment of any Guest who is unfit to travel"

Hmmmm

Well it's nice to know that Carnival wanted to ensure the perps got their money's worth by not kicking 'em off until the next to last day.

When the Captain was made aware of the situation, his response was, “What do you want me to do about — throw them overboard?”. Huge red flag.

At first I was shocked at watching a carnival employee kicking a passenger but after learning more I get it. But I think we can all agree it was handled poorly.

The scariest part of this to me is it does not seem like the ships are equipped to deal with a large problem like this. These where young thugs looking to pick on people from what I’ve gathered. What would carnival do if 4 or 5 large men who where trained to fight wanted to take over the ship and worked together to do so?

Only hope I could see is if the passengers stood against them instead of hiding in their rooms. The ships security does not seem adequate Judging by the fine fighting/take down skills displayed by the 150 pound security guards shown in the video.:confused:

Interesting theory. Do you mean like an act of terrorism?