Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

Again, regardless of your insistence that you are owed an answer, you are not.

Authorities, regulatory bodies, and others MAY be but the public is not.

Thanks for posting. We've read your valuable insights into this incident and I'm sure Carnival will heed your wisdom and just prosecute the heck out of the family. And I'm sure the security staff will all receive Carnival's highest commendation for their actions.....but we'll never know, will we.

There are just so many problems with this incident, response, coverage, and reaction to it.

1. As this society has been prone to do as of late the blame is always on everyone except the perpetrators of the act. The incident happened because the perpetrators committed the acts. This was no one else's fault bu theirs. They are solely to blame and all attention should be focused on punishing them.

2. The security team did nothing wrong. If you physically assault another passenger or crew member then you ought to have the ever loving crap beat out of you. (repeatedly) These clowns should have got more than they did. Unfortunately we have a free press that is hell bent on criticizing and demonizing law enforcement and authority at the present time while they heap praise on criminals. I haven't heard of anyone being hospitalized as a result of the actions taken by the security team so apparently they didn't brutalize them enough. Also, if a crew member instructs you not to do something then you don't do it. It you don't stand around and have a debate with them in the middle of the incident. A passenger aboard a cruise ship you don't have a "right" to film when you are told not to. If you don't like that, don't go on a privately owned cruise ship.

See the guy in the orange shorts in this video:

He should have been beaten beyond recognition.Anyone who would assault a crew member like this has absolutely no respect for authority and is lucky he is still in one piece.

3. The Press/Media (or whatever you want to call them) starts with these overly sensational headlines using words like "Bloodbath". Bloodbath??? Really??? I've watched the videos and read quite a bit about the story as well as seen the aftermath photos and calling it a bloodbath is downright dishonest. I watch all the UFC fights pretty much every weekend and what occurred on those videos doesn't even compare to UFC fights. Total BS from the press.

4. The reaction to this on Cruise Critic has been appalling in my opinion. Our society has become a bunch of self-entitled babies who don't respect any authority or rules. What the focus should be on now is prosecuting the individuals involved in this incident instead of a starting witch hunt against the cruise industry.

:)

Well said. I hope the barkho family get what they deserve. If I was an Aussie, I would avoid all business with them in the future since they live in Melbourne. I hope some Aussies pick on them and see how they like it. As a minority I know how it feels to get picked on by bullies like this. It is funny how they are asking police for protection. I hope justice is rightfully served. Maybe passengers should sue them for physical and mental distress for the 9 days they harassed passengers.

New company tag line: "Get your kicks on Carnival" or "Kick off your vacation on the fun ship."

I'll have to keep working on those.

Catching back up on the thread, this made me spit out my water yesterday!

There are just so many problems with this incident, response, coverage, and reaction to it.

1. As this society has been prone to do as of late the blame is always on everyone except the perpetrators of the act. The incident happened because the perpetrators committed the acts. This was no one else's fault bu theirs. They are solely to blame and all attention should be focused on punishing them.

2. The security team did nothing wrong. If you physically assault another passenger or crew member then you ought to have the ever loving crap beat out of you. (repeatedly) These clowns should have got more than they did. Unfortunately we have a free press that is hell bent on criticizing and demonizing law enforcement and authority at the present time while they heap praise on criminals. I haven't heard of anyone being hospitalized as a result of the actions taken by the security team so apparently they didn't brutalize them enough. Also, if a crew member instructs you not to do something then you don't do it. It you don't stand around and have a debate with them in the middle of the incident. A passenger aboard a cruise ship you don't have a "right" to film when you are told not to. If you don't like that, don't go on a privately owned cruise ship.

He should have been beaten beyond recognition.Anyone who would assault a crew member like this has absolutely no respect for authority and is lucky he is still in one piece.

3. The Press/Media (or whatever you want to call them) starts with these overly sensational headlines using words like "Bloodbath". Bloodbath??? Really??? I've watched the videos and read quite a bit about the story as well as seen the aftermath photos and calling it a bloodbath is downright dishonest. I watch all the UFC fights pretty much every weekend and what occurred on those videos doesn't even compare to UFC fights. Total BS from the press.

4. The reaction to this on Cruise Critic has been appalling in my opinion. Our society has become a bunch of self-entitled babies who don't respect any authority or rules. What the focus should be on now is prosecuting the individuals involved in this incident instead of a starting witch hunt against the cruise industry.

Come on bro, you can't complain about our society being a bunch of babies who don't respect authority and laud - or at the very least not strongly condem - the actions of the security team. Authority figures must act justly and ethically to command respect. It's why law enforcement, judges and some professions have character and fitness requirements.

Obviously the passengers were in the wrong. But the security workers and CCL's training/security protocol adhereance (or more likely inadherence) acted abysmally by kicking people appeared to me to be down and subdued. This shouldn't have even come to this, they should have locked these people (and all other potential troublemakers) in their rooms at the first sign of trouble. People pay big money to take these trips and don't deserve to be around people like the passengers.

I have no idea whether there was cutbacks in security but I'd sure like to see some additions.

But the security workers and CCL's training/security protocol adhereance (or more likely inadherence) acted abysmally by kicking people appeared to me to be down and subdued.

Subdued? He is subdued the moment he quits choking the other guy and stops fighting. Until then physical force is the only thing that will stop him.

there are just so many problems with this incident, response, coverage, and reaction to it.

2. The security team did nothing wrong. If you physically assault another passenger or crew member then you ought to have the ever loving crap beat out of you. (repeatedly) these clowns should have got more than they did. Unfortunately we have a free press that is hell bent on criticizing and demonizing law enforcement and authority at the present time while they heap praise on criminals. I haven't heard of anyone being hospitalized as a result of the actions taken by the security team so apparently they didn't brutalize them enough. Also, if a crew member instructs you not to do something then you don't do it. It you don't stand around and have a debate with them in the middle of the incident. A passenger aboard a cruise ship you don't have a "right" to film when you are told not to. If you don't like that, don't go on a privately owned cruise ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcucvadjcom

he should have been beaten beyond recognition.anyone who would assault a crew member like this has absolutely no respect for authority and is lucky he is still in one piece.

3. The press/media (or whatever you want to call them) starts with these overly sensational headlines using words like "bloodbath". Bloodbath??? Really??? I've watched the videos and read quite a bit about the story as well as seen the aftermath photos and calling it a bloodbath is downright dishonest. I watch all the ufc fights pretty much every weekend and what occurred on those videos doesn't even compare to ufc fights. Total bs from the press.

4. The reaction to this on cruise critic has been appalling in my opinion. Our society has become a bunch of self-entitled babies who don't respect any authority or rules. What the focus should be on now is prosecuting the individuals involved in this incident instead of a starting witch hunt against the cruise industry.

totally agree with you!!!

How about:

1) class action business lawsuit on breach on contract to provide safe passage. This was no

act based on an exception.

2) dispute the credit card bill for same reason.

3) complain bitterly to the passenger cruise rights on the abandonment of responsibility.

and so on....

This was a highly serious situation. It could have erupted into a las vegas type catastrophy.

Didn't they learn anything from the ships where they had resource failure and people fought with waste?

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is zero excuse for kicking someone so stop trying to justify the actions of a thug.

Here’s one for you.

If they weren’t doing anything wrong, why were they stopping anyone filming them and creating more fuss about that than these thugs.

As others have alluded. This family had been causing trouble from boarding and there was ample opportunity at previous ports to get them off the ship. No cruise line wants or deserves to put up with low life’s like these. Had they done that, they wouldn’t have then assaulted anyone.

I believe that would be the preferred choice rather than support loutish behaviour of carnival staff.

This is as far as I've read so far but wanted to throw my two cents in. I'm a police officer and and we train in defensive tactics at least 4 times a year. I hate to tell you this but we are trained to kick, punch, slap, knee.. Whatever force is being used against us or another, we can use up to that force. I saw some of the video. They were kicking offenders attacking others as far as I could tell. If not I hope they get some type of punishment as well. Very poor untrained kicks that looked like children. But kicking can be effective and allowed in court.

Really bad situation all around. Seems to be some very poor training and guys got frustrated with some very active trouble makers.

Edited by dwayneb236

You should apply for a security job with Carnival. Your obvious propensity for violence would probably be welcomed.

I got a chuckle when my nephew said that this story reminded him of playing Double Dragon. The folks who want to play this in real life can now join the security team or get on the ship with all their rowdy friends. 9 days of free play might turn just as many people on as off.

Subdued? He is subdued the moment he quits choking the other guy and stops fighting. Until then physical force is the only thing that will stop him.

You're watching a different video from me pal.

To be clear, I understand that security are people and I'm sure they aren't paying them enough to put up with this stuff. One of the most impressive things I've ever seen from an employee on a cruise line was a photog restraining himself from punching an extremely rude guest who was challenging him to fight. Like I said, I'm a huge whimp but I even wanted to deck the guy.

I cruise CCL for the staff first and foremost. But I'm sticking to my guns they were in the wrong here though there were obviously others there with them.

Chris Kyle and Chuck Norris approve this post.

He should have been beaten beyond recognition.

I really hope this is just emotion talking because had he been beaten beyond recognition, not only would he be rich from his lawsuit against Carnival, but the security personnel would be without a job.

Respectfully, I totally get what you're saying, but those in uniform have a duty to respond professionally. No, they are not the main culprits here but 2 wrongs do not make a right. For the record, I still want to give security the benefit of the doubt since we don't have the whole picture but I can't say I totally agree with your post.

Well said. I hope the barkho family get what they deserve. If I was an Aussie, I would avoid all business with them in the future since they live in Melbourne. I hope some Aussies pick on them and see how they like it. As a minority I know how it feels to get picked on by bullies like this. It is funny how they are asking police for protection. I hope justice is rightfully served. Maybe passengers should sue them for physical and mental distress for the 9 days they harassed passengers.

Problem with your statement is that the Barkho family was not involved in this. The first news reports where false. Only 1 guy from that family was on the ship, he was a just friend of the other 2 families that where involved and he was the one who called for help and was not fighting. But because of the false news reports people are continuing false and hurtful rumors about them and threatening the family when they where not even on the ship

Problem with your statement is that the Barkho family was not involved in this. The first news reports where false. Only 1 guy from that family was on the ship, he was a just friend of the other 2 families that where involved and he was the one who called for help and was not fighting. But because of the false news reports people are continuing false and hurtful rumors about them and threatening the family when they where not even on the ship

Link?

1. Who isn't blaming the perpetrators? Punch passengers once, shame on you, punch passengers twice, shame on the crew.

2. It looks to me like after 9 days of violence, the guy on top finally had enough of the crew doing nothing. Good for him. Out of 3000 pax at least someone had a spine. He didn't deserve to be kicked for doing what the crew wouldn't. If you think the camera situation was hunky dory then I'm ok with that as long as warning signs are put up around the ship so folks know the consequences.

4.jpg.ac63288fed99dc747a5bdca69fc99fe7.jpg

3. Correct, but no worse than throwing the situation under the rug either.

4. Excuse me, we don't respect authority and rules? Actually 9 days of standing down is not enforcing the rules. A captain saying "What do you want me to do about it?" is not showing authority. Maybe you've got it backwards, and we're the ones who want actual rules and authority, in place.

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

Hope sprang eternal as my rates for Nov 4 on the Miracle dropped 50 dollars per room or a total of $100. Keep the bad press coming ;p

The price on our upcoming cruise went up and down a few times over the last 8 months, don't think there is a strong correlation to the bad press.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5411533/Michael-Zakhour-centre-Carnival-Legend-cruise-brawl.html

This report says that George Barkho was the only Barkho on board.

It also says that members (plural) of the family are getting medical attention right now. Which could mean that some family members have a different last name.

It also says that members (plural) of the family are getting medical attention right now. Which could mean that some family members have a different last name.

It also days the 2 families are the Nanfaro family and the Zakhour family and that George Barkho was just a friend of the family. It also say that George Barkho was the only member of the Barkho family on board

Example of reaction that made you appalled?

And who should be doing the prosecuting? Other passengers? Carnival?

And why should Carnival's response and handling of the situation not be a pertinent discussion point? Nobody is BLAMING Carnival for the actions of these thugs. The discussion is around how they REACTED!!! Big difference which I think MANY here are failing to recognize. You have a multi-billion dollar corporation with security acting the way they did and decisions made by a Captain that need further clarification.

To your opinion of security doing nothing wrong, the jury is still out on that:

Continue reading to post 665 and you will see a comment from a LEO , that indicates that maybe just maybe Carnival Security wasn't so wrong.