Internet Access in Conciege Staterooms?

debsjc

Could someone please clarify if there is free internet, and how many minutes if restricted, in concierge cabins?

This is on a cruise only fare, not with the O Life package - we are having a few problems with Oceania on this issue, thanks

Could someone please clarify if there is free internet, and how many minutes if restricted, in concierge cabins?

This is on a cruise only fare, not with the O Life package - we are having a few problems with Oceania on this issue, thanks

As stated in the general terms and conditions on their website if you are booked in a Concierge cabin or higher, you get one free internet account per stateroom, irregardless of whether or not it is booked with the cruise only fare. Here's the link: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/promotion-terms/

Go all the way to the bottom where it says "Free Internet".

On our recent sail, the free internet was inconsistent at best. You can use it shipwide on one device at a time. Some areas had better luck connecting than others.

We were unable to do simple things like post a picture or send an iMessage. Another issue was being connected for a few minutes and then being disconnected without notice.

If the paid plans have an option for a higher quality internet, that would definitely be our choice on another trip.

On our Lima-Papeete cruise, internet speeds varied greatly. In the rooms, the best coverage was near the cabin door because the routers are located in the hallways. Speeds were best very early in the mornings (4 am - 7 am) when there wasn’t much traffic. The more people on WiFi, the slower it is. During the day it was almost useless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Am sitting in the Concierge Lounge on Marina Papette cruise right now.....Service is free for Concierge members... Internet speed is fine even for business use.... Early morning best times.. probably till 7am. Actually like the upper decks Horizon but they are cleaning the espresso machines before 5AM today.

On our recent sail, the free internet was inconsistent at best. You can use it shipwide on one device at a time. Some areas had better luck connecting than others.

We were unable to do simple things like post a picture or send an iMessage. Another issue was being connected for a few minutes and then being disconnected without notice.

If the paid plans have an option for a higher quality internet, that would definitely be our choice on another trip.

I wouldn't swear to it but I don't think there is any difference between the free and paid plans.

On the O ships with Concierge Lounges, we have always found that the best connection and service was in the Lounge, not in our cabins.

Service is dependent upon time of day and location of ship. No pat answer to your question. They should block all reception, IMO, in the Ship’s Lounge and Specialties Restaurants. Why do people ask for sharing tables if they only want to stare into their cell phones all evening? Why should a waiter keep having yo interrupt their surfing so to take their order? If they’re to engrossed in surfing, they’re obviously to engrossed to eat!

The internet is free but painfully slow. Their excuse is that everyone is too selfish to log off or doesn't understand why they should thereby tying up bandwidth.

Sometimes, in port, I would go into the terminal and use the port wi fi in order to get something done.

I am on Riviera in the Caribbean and our Concierge class free internet is working pretty well throughout the ship. Except for Celebrity's latest version of high speed internet, this is the most dependable reliable and reasonably fast internet I have experienced in over 40 cruises.:):):)

All of us can give plenty of anecdotal answers to the question. So I’ll give one more piece of anecdotal experience from being on multiple O ships in both hemispheres and in multiple seas. That answer is that it’s depends greatly upon where on the globe you are on, the time of Day, atmospheric conditions, and a few more factors. It depends, and this is another question with no accurate pat answer.

I think soon the crew will get some free internet time. Right now they pay for it. Be interesting to see how it will effect the speed. Last cruise it was spotty -- some days really good and some days it was poor. Atmospherics do not effect signal strength -- except for heavy rain, sea state (rolling of ship) and line of site issues in ports. Biggest issues bandwidth limitations. No way to fix this other than a bigger pipe -- I think O and other cruise lines compress to maximum that is technically feasible. Oceania really needs to block the sites that consume data. They already are blocking alot of streaming sites (like YouTube). More is needed.

In Concierge cabin are we able to pay for a second person's device?

I don't know if you can purchase one, but it's not necessary to have a second account. Anyone in the cabin can use the complimentary wifi on any device they have...the only restriction is that only one device can be using the wifi at a time. My wife and I would just take turns using it, with each of us signing off on whatever device we were using when we were done, which allows the other person to sign on with whatever device they're using.

If you try to sign on and another device is currently signed on to the account you'll get a message to that effect and it the system will even allow you to log the other device off. That is very convenient for instances where one person accidentally forgot to log off.

Edited by njhorseman

Yes. We were in a concierge level suite and had free internet for one device. My wife purchased a second plan. We don’t share we’ll. LOL. Word of caution, the internet is satellite based and slower than old dial up. Mostly unusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our Marina December crossing of the Atlantic, we had the free internet in a PH. We found the speed and accessibility to be superior to just about all of the other lines we have sailed. It's not great, not like one would find at home or in a good hotel or cafe. But, I'm here to tell you, it was way, way better than Cunard, Princess, HAL or Seabourn where it is very hard to simply log on or log off.

Sorry for the late reply. Reception initially told me that only certain passengers in concierge cabins qualified for the free internet. Then they called back later that evening to say they had emailed head office, and had it added to our booking. Not sure what that was all about, but we did get it resolved in the end.

The connection isn't too terrible if you are using a smart phone, but on the desktop computers in the concierge lounge, it is very slow.

Sorry for the late reply. Reception initially told me that only certain passengers in concierge cabins qualified for the free internet. Then they called back later that evening to say they had emailed head office, and had it added to our booking. Not sure what that was all about, but we did get it resolved in the end.

The connection isn't too terrible if you are using a smart phone, but on the desktop computers in the concierge lounge, it is very slow.

Interesting. I had the same type of fare as you had on another cruise and I had to pay for the Internet. Glad you had better luck.

Wonderful cruise and hopefully, we will see you on another cruise.:)

On the O ships with Concierge Lounges, we have always found that the best connection and service was in the Lounge, not in our cabins.

Service is dependent upon time of day and location of ship. No pat answer to your question. They should block all reception, IMO, in the Ship’s Lounge and Specialties Restaurants. Why do people ask for sharing tables if they only want to stare into their cell phones all evening? Why should a waiter keep having yo interrupt their surfing so to take their order? If they’re to engrossed in surfing, they’re obviously to engrossed to eat!

On both R and O ships, I have found the best wifi signal/speed to be in back rows of the theater adjacent to the control booths.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots of answers from different perspectives and so I will just say ...

We are usually in a suite (but all over the ship). But a year ago we were in a B1, midships I think, on Nautica. I really haven't noticed a difference from room to room in terms of internet speed. (It's a given that it's slower on a ship than on land.)

As has been said, the real difference can be time of day. If you go online when lots of people are online, it's certainly going to be slower than if you go on at 3am. Not that I'm recommending that as an option!

I think it was back in the Renaissance days when I went up to the internet cafe around midnight -- this was before I routinely brought my own laptop with me so it COULD have been Ren but it also could have been early Oceania days. I was the lone passenger there. Everyone else was crew. They were chattering a lot among themselves which was the real problem ... The access was as fine as it could have been back then.

I've not seen that happen since, but then with my own laptop I no longer need to go up there except very occasionally!

Mura