Don't blame them

Mike981

It is almost a daily occurrence on this website. How many times is there a review from someone who just complains the whole post about how bad {insert cruise line/ship here} is. Then as you read the rant you find much of the "outrageous" offenses are nothing the cruise line even has control over. :rolleyes:

There's a "famous" Youtuber who complained over the fact that MSC Seaside left Miami when it's dark. If you have done 40+ cruises you should be able to figure out that it will be dark in Miami at 07:00 P.M during the winter... :rolleyes:

After that I took that review and all other he have done with some salt...

0022190dec450d96495202.jpg

That was ^^^^ funny EK!

This January my family (wife and kids - 22 & 24) were on a cruise where we were having a ball playing cards on deck. The weather was perfect and we had a great view of the water.

A woman came out and sat at an empty table by herself. I noticed her watching us and she just looked sad. I could actually feel it. A while later a man came over to her table and sat down. Neither acknowledged the other, let a lone look at each other or speak. No more than a minute goes by and the man gets up and walks away. A few minutes later he returns with a cup of coffee and sits down. Takes his time drinking and then they get up and leave. They never spoke or looked at each other, and if you saw them walking you wouldn't think they were together.

Now, of course there could be a host of reasons for this behavior. It just bothered me because it just seemed so sad. It was like a scene from a movie. The happy laughing family and the sad couple.

I am one of those people who refuse to let things bother them. I always figure something is going to happen and cause a scramble for me to fix so I am always pleasantly surprised when things go right!

My husband on the other hand... is not happy unless things are perfect! Bermuda cruise into a tropical storm. Rained 5 out of 7 days. My solution? Lets go find a beach that is open to swim in during the tropical storm kids!! (don't worry! Both teenagers and they didn't go out far!) My husbands theory, to complain it is to cold (in the low 70s)

Every land vacation we take the weather goes horrible. Heck, we just went out of town to a concert, not up in the Northeast but Ohio... and it was snowing! So much for my plans on bar hopping all night afterwards, not gonna do that in the snow! Husband was upset because he knew I wanted to. I was just happy to go back to the hotel and splurge on (amazing!!) room service.

Life happens and I just wish more people understood that also!

I am one of those people who refuse to let things bother them. I always figure something is going to happen and cause a scramble for me to fix so I am always pleasantly surprised when things go right!

My husband on the other hand... is not happy unless things are perfect! Bermuda cruise into a tropical storm. Rained 5 out of 7 days. My solution? Lets go find a beach that is open to swim in during the tropical storm kids!! (don't worry! Both teenagers and they didn't go out far!) My husbands theory, to complain it is to cold (in the low 70s)

Every land vacation we take the weather goes horrible. Heck, we just went out of town to a concert, not up in the Northeast but Ohio... and it was snowing! So much for my plans on bar hopping all night afterwards, not gonna do that in the snow! Husband was upset because he knew I wanted to. I was just happy to go back to the hotel and splurge on (amazing!!) room service.

Life happens and I just wish more people understood that also!

YES, I understand what type of person you DH is, my wife can sometimes be that way:rolleyes: But she comes by it naturally, her Mom was that way, only worse, she'd find 'something-anything' too complain about even if everything was perfect !:eek: Talk about a real pain to be around OR travel with ! And her mom was like this non stop the entire trip ! Luckily, she would NEVER consider leaving home to be trapped on a cruise (Whewwww ! Thank goodness !) When my wife starts showing 'signs and attitudes of Ruth' (as I call it) I gently remind her that things really are NOT that bad. Then she realizes she's falling back into that mode that people around her mom would notice and suddenly remember they had somewhere else to be when her Mom would start constantly complaining. I still see these types on cruises and feel so sorry for their families and friends because I KNOW what they're enduring.:eek:

Mac

What concerns me about these types of problems is the 'mob mentality' one sometimes hears about when a ship has to cancel a port or change an itinerary for reasons out of their control. Angry passengers storm the desk or create a toxic atmosphere onboard for everyone with angry confrontations and outbursts. And/or try to get other passengers to band together to demand compensation. One day, I fear, a group like this will go too far...

I would get rid of the nagging people and the ones that berate the Capt. for going into bad weather. I love sunny weather, I enjoy the rainy weather and if there is no lightning, I will swim. The rougher the sea, the better I enjoy it. Noisy people, I turn off my hearing aides. When the ships power plant konks out, and that did happened to us once for 2 days, I get miffed.

Edited by JMorris271

I would get rid of the nagging people and the ones that berate the Capt. for going into bad weather. I love sunny weather, I enjoy the rainy weather and if there is no lightning, I will swim. The rougher the sea, the better I enjoy it. Noisy people, I turn off my hearing aides. When the ships power plant konks out, and that did happened to us once for 2 days, I get miffed.

Rough seas are a guilty pleasure of mine too.

I love the ‘I couldn’t go do x because they didn’t tell me: I needed a visa, my passport needed 6 months on it, I needed vaccinations’ we are the ones who choose to travel so it’s our responsibility and cruise critic is one of the best places to get pointed in the right direction. Ok I also love the fact you ask a question and may get 30 different opinions but there’s some great ideas come out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Slightly off topic, but I love the people who give a bad review to a hotel they have never stayed at because they made a booking with a non-refundable deposit, then for whatever reason they did not show and were upset that their deposit was not refunded.

Slightly off topic, but I love the people who give a bad review to a hotel they have never stayed at because they made a booking with a non-refundable deposit, then for whatever reason they did not show and were upset that their deposit was not refunded.

^^^this^^^

YES, I understand what type of person you DH is, my wife can sometimes be that way:rolleyes: But she comes by it naturally, her Mom was that way, only worse, she'd find 'something-anything' to...........

Mac

Our group has lots of complainers but we simply ignore them :D. For us ‘It’s not a successful event unless someone complains.’ And yeah, we call out the ridiculous, confirm the bad and tell them when their complaints aren’t valid.

The unknowns complainers I usually avoid.

The most interesting thing about having your plans messed up is the stories you can tell, laughing, later...

... like the time we got a flat tire in the middle of a national forest and discovered we had no spare (it was left off at the pre-trip tire rotation....our bad for not looking under the damned car...) and on the same trip, the rain-fed flood that meant we had to move our car over the bridge to the other side of the stream to protect it- at 5 am in our jammies...

...or my 20-year daughter's flight to Budapest being re-routed to Austria, when she had no working cell phone and ended up with a bunch of Hungarian businessmen on a bus from Vienna in the middle of the night only to be dropped off on a corner in Budapest in the snow at 3 a.m. Waiting to get picked up by a boyfriend.... (I found out about it way after the fact, by the way)......

The way we deal with stuff says so much about us.......and so much about the twits who complain loudly over silly little things....

We always take a positive view to what we do and that includes our travels. We are just thankful we can travel and do what we can do. Life is short.

Keith

I feel the same way. A couple of years ago we took the NCL excursion to Jost Van Dyke when we visited Tortola, Well, it poured rain for a good 2 hours (we were only there for 4 hours) so we just stood out in White Bay drinking Pain Killers in the rain.

IT WAS AWESOME!!

We met some folks from Seattle and had a great time!