What small thank you gift to bring to meet and mingle for officers?

Pandot

Just like you do NOT tip the "owner" of a business, you do NOT tip the Captain or upper officers. It's not done, and certainly not expected or welcomed. Just say "Thank you". That's all that's needed.

Its not a 'Tip" in my mind...Regardless of your politics, when Melania handed Michelle a Big Blue Tiffany Box (containing a Picture Frame) on the day or inauguration at the White House steps, there was no way anyone could misconstrue that offering of a gift as a Tip or a Bribe.

It was a very cordial and pleasant gesture. Likely to say Thank You for your Transiton Efforts among other things, but certainly not for a what can you do for me idea.

A handwritten thank you note attached to a very high quality bar of chocolate. A nice gesture in my opinion.

It never occurred to me to bring gifts for the ship's captain or other officers, not because I don't appreciate them, but it just seems kind of inappropriate to me. I know they are "people" too, but when I am on a ship, I view the captain and his staff as authorities. Most "gifts" would seem too personal or presumptive. However, I wouldn't hesitate to drop an email to the corporate office to express my appreciation for the time the captain and/or his staff spent at the Meet & Greet.

I also may be paranoid but I wouldn't eat candy a stranger on a cruise ship gave me. I would appreciate the gesture, but I imagine I would just toss it. (Crazy world out there!)

And I do bring hostess gifts to parties or bring a cake when visiting a friend for coffee, etc. But that's not really the same thing as giving a gift to a ship's captain that I have never met because he took the time to answer questions. Again, just seems like it pushes the boundaries of what is appropriate.

No offense, but why bring the officers on a ship a thank you note and a gift? Do you bring your airline pilot a gift? This just makes no sense to me. It's their job, and a well paid job.

What are you thanking them for, exactly?

I was thinking about the same. We have been to a couple dozen M&Gs and no one has ever given the officers anything other than a smile and a personal thank you, not even in form of a note. They welcome us which is wonderful and answer our questions but not to be rewarded. :confused:

BTW for Ashleyriley and a few others, no, just because we do not take gifts or whatever to the officers at our M&Gs does not mean we do not take gifts to our host at a party or dinner, nor does it mean we do not write thank you notes. These are 2, totally different situations.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I always write Thank You notes to the Senior Management Staff both Bridge and Hotel.

All of them give up so much of their own personal lives to serve on board ships. On one of my last cruises both the Captain and the Restaurant Manager became Grandfathers--both girls.

They are WORKING on cruiseships NOT serving their country on battleships!

Two VERY DIFFERENT situations.

Sounds like we have some people here who are feeling guilty that they didn’t think of this and who therefore are trying to make the OP feel as though he or she is doing something wrong.

Ignore them.

This may be a regional/cultural thing, but as I've said before, there are appropriate boundaries that people should respect. I wouldn't go to a meeting with a Senior Vice President of my company and just decide to bring him a little gift or piece of chocolate. He would think I'd lost it. :')

Doesn't mean I'm not a nice, generous person if I don't bring the ship's captain a picture frame or other gift. In fact, I think it shows a level of respect for his/her (I cruise Celebrity too ;)) position and our actual relationship (which is not "folksy" friends who are meeting for a coffee chat.)

I usually bring them an 8X10 hand painted portrait of my entire family, that I paint myself. They seem to really appreciate it, and always assure me they will hang it in their quarters, how cool is that?

Try taking something more useful next time like a workbench and tools, or a set of encyclopaedias.

I usually bring them an 8X10 hand painted portrait of my entire family, that I paint myself. They seem to really appreciate it, and always assure me they will hang it in their quarters, how cool is that?

Is that oil or watercolor, and is it hard to learn? :')

Is that oil or watercolor, and is it hard to learn? :')

I've been dabbling with pastels as of late. For my upcoming cruise on the Escape, I've been working on small figurines of the Capt, hotel director, and food & beverage director. They are made out of different pasta's, similar to what Kramer used on Seinfeld. I just know the crew will eat them up! (pun intended)

I was thinking about the same. We have been to a couple dozen M&Gs and no one has ever given the officers anything other than a smile and a personal thank you, not even in form of a note. They welcome us which is wonderful and answer our questions but not to be rewarded. :confused:

BTW for Ashleyriley and a few others, no, just because we do not take gifts or whatever to the officers at our M&Gs does not mean we do not take gifts to our host at a party or dinner, nor does it mean we do not write thank you notes. These are 2, totally different situations.

It is, in fact, a very similiar situation. The host of the Meet and Greet is showing appreciation to the officers for taking the time to attend. That's all it is, good manners. Just because you have never experienced someone writing a thank you note in that situation doesn't make it wrong. Or maybe you are

just a little bitter that you didn't think of it?

It just occurred to me that our society is very comfortable with giving small tokens of appreciation to guest speakers. I’ve seen it done hundreds of times, without comment or controversy.

So, in this context, the ship’s officers are guest speakers, and therefore offering them a gift is proper etiquette.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It just occurred to me that our society is very comfortable with giving small tokens of appreciation to guest speakers. I’ve seen it done hundreds of times, without comment or controversy.

So, in this context, the ship’s officers are guest speakers, and therefore offering them a gift is proper etiquette.

No it isn’t similar. A guest speaker is someone whom you see for a few minutes or hours and they move on. They usually aren’t in a position where they would feel obligated to reciprocate in some way.

In the case of giving gifts to ships officers many people do it as a way to get some kind of perk or VIP treatment. Putting the officer in an awkward position. I have seen people throw complete fits when they didn’t get VIP just for hosting the meet and greet. This is just a end run around that. Many people, not all, give gifts expecting something in return.

It is, in fact, a very similiar situation. The host of the Meet and Greet is showing appreciation to the officers for taking the time to attend. That's all it is, good manners. Just because you have never experienced someone writing a thank you note in that situation doesn't make it wrong. Or maybe you are

just a little bitter that you didn't think of it?

WOW did you take your chill out meds today? I don't think I ever said a thank you note was hot acceptable or expected. I did say, this is their job and I did say the idea of a gift sounds a little strange to me. Can you refer me to where I said or indicated it was wrong? :rolleyes::confused:

In addition to a thank you note? Anyone have ideas of Small everyday things that may be hard to come by on board that they might appreciate?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to show your appreciation. I organized a Meet & Greet last year and this was my "gift" to the officers who showed up. They loved them! Do whatever you want to do. Don't let anyone determine your decision. ;)

40385382784_d6562b0dd4_b.jpg

No, your context is incorrect. They are not "guest" speakers. They are employees and this is part of their job that they are compensated for. Again, I don't really care one way or the other.