2 way radios that work on board

zephyrcove4

GMRS and FRS (not FM) radios work on bands of the UHF spectrum that are a little too high to be effective at penetrating steel. Also, the 2 watt limitation on GMRS and FRS doesn't help the penetration. The crew use 5 watt UHF radios with bands lower down towards the 300Mhz range, and even these need repeater antenna tuned to their particular band to ensure adequate coverage around the ship. Your results using the GMRS and FRS radios will vary by distance on the ship, number of decks between, how many closed doors are between, the atmospherics on the day you are using them, etc. You can have pretty good usage one day, and no reception in the same spots on the next day.

Asked and answered on many previous threads:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=125627458

Just so you know, the search function times out after 20 minutes. I saw your list of all the walkie-talkie threads and hopefully OP did too, but now it has timed out and no one can see it.

Yes but she had posted only a results link to the search she had performed, which is different than what you have done here. :)

Thank you both, by the way, as this topic has been discussed many times and the info is here. :)

I get that. I was just trying to help by posting direct links to several of the threads.

Another point I have never seen raised is the legality of such radios.

Just because you an purchase and use the license free in the US does not mean they are legal on a ship at sea or at any given port.

Another point I have never seen raised is the legality of such radios.

Just because you an purchase and use the license free in the US does not mean they are legal on a ship at sea or at any given port.

Exactly, Some FRS or GMRS frequencies on consumer grade recreational radios can interfere with emergency and law enforcement frequencies in various countries. I would hope that the last thing a tourist would want to do is to interfere with such channels.

What 2 way radios work on cruise ships that even work through steel decks? I have heard GMRS and FM 2 watt radios work??? Also, how does Holland America deal with 2 way walkie talkies??

Holland America deals with walkie talkies by making a free texting service available. As well, all the phones around the ship work.