Luxury?

Sheila NaGeira

3rd day on Regatta. No sign of luxury yet.

Tiles missing from pool wall, rusty trim, worn upholstery, chipped basin in bathroom. No basics like flowers on tables.

Staff appear to be overwhelmed. Always rushing about. When asked about the price of a glass of wine, the sommelier, who had shown up 20 minutes after we were seated, replied “I don’t know, I just came on board”.

No salt, pepper, cutlery on tables. No laundry, card room or library. They say this is because passengers are not washing their hands. Money makers like the spa and bars are open though.

Is Regatta in Code Red? That what it sounds like.

No one has used that term. Apparently more than 2% of the passengers and crew had a gastro thing on the last leg. Although embarkation was delayed for sanitization there are new cases on board so guests are not allowed to touch even chairs until they have been sanitized.

A virus doesn’t explain the drab 1950s gentlemen’s club decor or confused staff though.

A virus doesn’t explain the drab 1950s gentlemen’s club decor or confused staff though.

What were you expecting?

Have you done any research about Oceania or Regatta in particular?

One peron’s “drab 1950s gentlemen’s club decor” is another man’s understated classic English country house decor :D

That said, I am sorry to hear that you may be under code red - that is unfortunate.

some of us like the charming Country club style

too bad you did not do your research on the ship first

Too many cheerleaders here -- you will get flamed. But yes you should have done your research. I do like the ships "classic" decor more than the O class ships.

However service has been an issue on Regatta ==> with first hand experience this year. Who is your ships GM.. You should make your displeasure known to him.

If the ship is in code red then they will be taking precautions for at least the first few days

There are probably people that were on the previous cruise still onboard as many pax will do B2B on a cruise of this itinerary

Yes they could close the spa & the bars & maybe just confine everyone to their cabins until they are sure there are no more problems

Cheerleader maybe or just common sense

It is unfortunate that you were unaware that Oceania is not considered a luxury cruise line.

To me It is luxury experience...and to me it is as much luxury as I want or need....

Maybe one needs to take a few carnival or Costa or RCCL's. for perspective.. Having staff fawning over you and kissing your rear along with a haughty atmosphere for high maintenance folks who need that sort of thing, in not what I what I think of as luxury...

With the availability of videos, pictures of the ships, reviews and marketing materials there isn’t an excuse to not, at a minimum, get a hint of what to expect before going on a specific ship.

As for wear, it is a ship that is in continuous use. Bringing specific concerns to the appropriate staff often results in issues being rectified.

To me It is luxury experience...and to me it is as much luxury as I want or need....

Maybe one needs to take a few carnival or Costa or RCCL's. for perspective.. Having staff fawning over you and kissing your rear along with a haughty atmosphere for high maintenance folks who need that sort of thing, in not what I what I think of as luxury...

If you're going to take a Carnival cruise for perspective you should also take a Seabourn or Silversea or Crystal cruise for perspective. And I still maintain Oceania and Regent have more code reds than any other cruise line on the seas. Coincidence or pattern?????

If you're going to take a Carnival cruise for perspective you should also take a Seabourn or Silversea or Crystal cruise for perspective. And I still maintain Oceania and Regent have more code reds than any other cruise line on the seas. Coincidence or pattern?????

I have taken Regent 0ver 70 days on it and that is why I wanted to go with O .... Silversea and Crystal are from the reviews and info are everything I do not want. an upstairs down stairs life style. Flaunt and strut Dont know about Seabourn But again its layout and options are a no go.

Too as Paulchili and others have repeatedly posted the passengers on the Luxury ships are a bit aloof and reserved..many needing their hand held. I can think of better ways to spend $1000.00 a day on.........BUT that is me

As for Carnival, my wife took a cruise with girl friends... and gave me a detail report wild paryty types, drunks and druggies. ( I dont have to live on skid row to know I dont want to go there)

:eek:

It is unfortunate that you were unaware that Oceania is not considered a luxury cruise line.

Disagree all you like. The ship’s TV channel welcomed me to a luxury cruise. Country Clubs do not have to be stuck in the 20th century. We are not in old England. The tiles are still falling off the pool.

On the positive side, the crew seem to be getting adjusted. Not bumping into each other as much. Very friendly.

:cool:

Disagree all you like. The ship’s TV channel welcomed me to a luxury cruise. Country Clubs do not have to be stuck in the 20th century. We are not in old England. The tiles are still falling off the pool.

On the positive side, the crew seem to be getting adjusted. Not bumping into each other as much. Very friendly.

It does sound like you'd be happier on a mass market ship like Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have taken Regent 0ver 70 days on it and that is why I wanted to go with O .... Silversea and Crystal are from the reviews and info are everything I do not want. an upstairs down stairs life style. Flaunt and strut Dont know about Seabourn But again its layout and options are a no go.

Too as Paulchili and others have repeatedly posted the passengers on the Luxury ships are a bit aloof and reserved..many needing their hand held. I can think of better ways to spend $1000.00 a day on.........BUT that is me

As for Carnival, my wife took a cruise with girl friends... and gave me a detail report wild paryty types, drunks and druggies. ( I dont have to live on skid row to know I dont want to go there)

Type of fellow passengers depends so much on the itinerary.

I have been on Crystal and found passengers generally friendlier than what I have found on many Oceania cruises.

What lines do you usually cruise?

If the ship is in code red then they will be taking precautions for at least the first few days

There are probably people that were on the previous cruise still onboard as many pax will do B2B on a cruise of this itinerary

Yes they could close the spa & the bars & maybe just confine everyone to their cabins until they are sure there are no more problems

Cheerleader maybe or just common sense

We were on the previous segment from Bali to Honolulu...!!!

The ship (eventually!!) went into Code RED about four days out of Honolulu though we could see the warning signs another four days previously.....

We could get NO ANSWERS from the medical staff, and the dreaded "N" word was not mentioned....

The "lockdown" deepened with late / overnight corridor fumigation, closure of the Laundry, Card Room, Library and a noticeable lack of staff.... (all off duty due to sickness????!!!!)

Table setting in the restaurants stopped in Maui.... denials of the "N" word continued until the day we walked down the gangway in Honolulu!

in all we were surprised (though gratified!!) to be allowed to disembark the US port of Honolulu in such a state! and even more pleased to get off the ship in Honolulu to a better organised health regime, leaving tales of over 90 "N" "victims" under the complimentary care of the ship's overworked Medical Centre which had previously billed a close colleague at the rate of around $3000 a day for medical care... a good reason not to report early symptoms earlier.....

Boarding in Bali we reported a non functioning sanitiser at the bottom of the gangplank and later another (during the Code RED on Deck 9 which took 2 days to be rectified despite repeated reminders of its failure!

We even "heard" that the boarding passengers in Honolulu would be delayed by the situation......!

The words "DUTY OF CARE" and "NEGLIGENCE" are rapidly rising to the surface...!

Despite the crisis, EVERYONE remained polite and friendly and, above all, professional, for which I compliment the company... and I still consider Oceania as a top end cruise experience....

leaving tales of over 90 "N" "victims" under the complimentary care of the ship's overworked Medical Centre which had previously billed a close colleague at the rate of around $3000 a day for medical care... a good reason not to report early symptoms earlier.....

That is part of the problem

people not reporting they are ill & wandering the ship spreading the joy

It may or may not have been Noro until they do the tests you do not know for sure

As to over 70 days on Regent, if they are so unlike what you desire why did you spend so much money and time on them?

As to Silversea, Crystal and Seabourn, come back when you have actually sailed with them and then maybe your opinion will matter.

As to a bit aloof and reserved, why does the idea of their luxury seem to make you so uncomfortable that you put it down?

As to $1,000.00 a day, was that per person?

As to what your wife experienced on Carnival, you must have read the reviews about such cruises. How did you rationalize letting her go on such a cruise?

Too many cheerleaders here -- you will get flamed. But yes you should have done your research. I do like the ships "classic" decor more than the O class ships.

However service has been an issue on Regatta ==> with first hand experience this year. Who is your ships GM.. You should make your displeasure known to him.

I am hoping I did not make a mistake. I have a cruise booked on Insignia for summer 2019. The only other cruise I have done to date is Princess (Crown Princess). I will be doing a Royal Caribbean, Empress (couldn't find itinerary on Oceania that I liked and was available) and QM2.

I realize Oceania isn't considered true top of the line luxury however, the itinerary on Insignia meets my needs at an acceptable price point. I was OK with Crown Princess (was not rowdy as I have heard Carnival can be and the people were friendly, service was fine) although I would have liked a little better food.