Tub or Shower?

Good Morning All,

With all the talk about hot tubs and whirlpool tubs on a thread lately, I was wondering how people feel about tubs in general.

I am a little wary of germs and for me, I always take showers on cruise ships and in hotels. Really don't want to put my fanny in that tub when I am not sure of its cleanliness. Especially whirlpool tubs. I read on here that they run bleach thru the (whirlpool) tubs but for some reason I still can't get into one. Same with hot tubs as I stated in another thread. I'm fussy about outdoor pools too....worry about cleanliness of the water. They had an expose on one of the networks about the nasty stuff they found in public pools, and high end hotels at that.

So, that being said.........wondering how folks out there feel about tubs (bath or hot) on ships (or hotels). Do you use them? Or do you only take showers? And what about those pools.....:confused:

Curious as to how everyone feels.

Even before I could no longer use a tub, whenever we were in hotels or on a ship, we used only showers.

For a couple of years (back in the 80's) we did use the pools. Then after watching a woman put her child into the pool -- diapers on -- that ended our using the pools.

Another question:

I find some showers slippery when wet. When I travel on land, I bring my own rubber tub mat. If I forget it I put a small towel on the bottom of the tub/shower to give some grip. Don't plan on trying to haul a rubber tub mat on a cruise. If you want a tub mat, will the ship stewards bring you one? Just wondering......

Shower only. Would like to see tub space used for something better.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BIG shower! I have never used the whirlpool tub when we have a NS--not worries about cleanliness, just don't bother. If they want to do something fancy for a NS, dump the whirlpool and do a larger shower with side jets. I've had one of those in a hotel and it's almost as relaxing as a whirlpool.

I never put more than my feet dangling off the side of a shp's pool. IF I see hotel staff with test kit testing pool's water, I might swim in a fine hotel's pool assuming it has that sparkling , appeal ing appearandce and the whole area is lcean. Living is a risk and if I am at a Ritz or Four Seasons' or similar category hotel pool, well gee............. Bu'T I want to see the water samples taken for testing.

How I would love to soak in a nice hot bath---be it at home, in a hotel, or on a cruise. But I am no longer able to get down and (especially) back up again.

The hot tubs are too dangerous for me because of my heart, but I used to use them, and would again if the cardiologist said it was all right.

I love to use the hydrotherapy pools on the ships that have them, and the swimming pools, too.

Maybe I'm reckless, but I trust in my immune system to deal with the germs of life. Like the old saying goes---Ya gotta eat a pound of dirt before ya die!

Shower, definitely. Preferably large. Preferably with a rainfall shower head. And if it has a shower curtain instead of a glass partition, DEFINITELY with a curved curtain rail to keep the darn thing from sticking to me! :D

Also, made the switch to liquid soap about 5 years ago, so a soap dispenser is a must.

Bath tub in hotel or on ship: Yes.

Swimming pool at hotel or on ship: Yes

Jacuzzis on ship: Yes.

BUT I always clean the tv remotes in hotels and on ships, and rarely touch the railings on the ship staircases.

For a couple of years (back in the 80's) we did use the pools. Then after watching a woman put her child into the pool -- diapers on -- that ended our using the pools.

That would do it for me.....glad I didn't see that. Do some people have no sense? I think there are "swim diapers" out there, I am not sure. But even so, just the thought gives me the shivers. Don't blame you for avoiding pools!

Like the old saying goes---Ya gotta eat a pound of dirt before ya die!

That's a great expression.....and probably so true! Thanks for sharing.

PS I have a hard time getting out of tubs too because of my screwy back condition...especially if very narrow. Like a few a ran into in Europe. Got in one once and my DH had to literally pull me out of it, I could not turn to grab hold and get out. It was an odd kind of tub, narrow and deep. There was no shower, so forced to use the tub. And I usually don't do tubs. This incidence reinforced my dislike for them.

I never put more than my feet dangling off the side of a shp's pool. IF I see hotel staff with test kit testing pool's water, I might swim in a fine hotel's pool assuming it has that sparkling , appeal ing appearandce and the whole area is lcean. Living is a risk and if I am at a Ritz or Four Seasons' or similar category hotel pool, well gee............. Bu'T I want to see the water samples taken for testing.

I agree Sails......it has to look REALLY spotless for me to get into it.

PS Will the stewards give you a rubber mat for the tub/shower so you don't slip in the shower? No one has answered that question yet.

AND PPS I don't know if you saw my reply to you the other day on that other thread, but it would be very nice to meet you also on a ship one day.....you never know, it may happen!:)

...BUT I always clean the tv remotes in hotels and on ships...

Consider checking the pull out filters in the AC/heaters in your room at hotels, too. (or not) To me, they are the true indicator of a clean room.

Shower for us, too. And with severe osteoporosis, I am always afraid of falling. I usually take a mat for the shower made of that sticky stuff you use to line drawers and keep things from sliding around. Doesn't take up much room in the suitcase!:cool:

Edited to say: Actually the mat is more for hotels than ships - I find hotels can have really slippery tubs.

Shower for us, too. And with severe osteoporosis, I am always afraid of falling. I usually take a mat for the shower made of that sticky stuff you use to line drawers and keep things from sliding around. Doesn't take up much room in the suitcase!:cool:

Edited to say: Actually the mat is more for hotels than ships - I find hotels can have really slippery tubs.

Vict0rian: What type of drawer liner do you take? I am trying to avoid taking a rubber tub mat. What you use seems lightweight, but I am trying to think of what it is....not contact paper....but...??

And yes, hotel tubs are VERY slippery and half the time don't have hand rail things to grab onto.

PS I think I know what you mean....I may even have some, just can't think of the name other than "drawer liners" It is rubber backed stuff.

Vict0rian: What type of drawer liner do you take? I am trying to avoid taking a rubber tub mat. What you use seems lightweight, but I am trying to think of what it is....not contact paper....but...??

And yes, hotel tubs are VERY slippery and half the time don't have hand rail things to grab onto.

PS I think I know what you mean....I may even have some, just can't think of the name other than "drawer liners" It is rubber backed stuff.

Packing cubes teke your things stored in darwers, right from suite case, stay in the cube and do not ever touch empty drawer. I pack my delicte s A packing cube keeps them together and dry in suitcase and the whole packet lifts out, is placed in drawer when I unpack.

I bought in a dollar store a small square mat to put on the seat in my shower at home to be sure it isn' slippery if I choose to sit.

It weighs almost nothing.

Edited by sail7seas

Packing cubes teke your things stored in darwers, right from suite case, stay in the cube and do not ever touch empty drawer. I pack my delicte s A packing cube keeps them together and dry in suitcase and the whole packet lifts out, is placed in drawer when I unpack.

I bought a small square mat to put on the seat in my shower at home to be sure it isn' slippery if I choose to sit.

It weighs almost nothing.

Good idea. And it's small!

The drawer/shelf liner Vict0riann mentioned.... she uses as a tub mat...another poster said rubber shelf liner works in his RV shower.

Don't know if stewards have tub mats to lend.

Packing cubes I hear are very good but haven't tried them yet. Will have to get some!