Travel insurance - what is reasonable?

Seahawkie

I never purchased travel insurance before and today I asked my travel agent to send me a quote to see if I should consider purchasing one this time around. The cruise is for 8 nights to the Caribbean on Adventures of the Seas this November 2018. The quote I got was $85 for myself and my 2 kids (11, 14), and it's with Allianz. Does that sound reasonable? The price seems low to me but I'm not familiar with travel insurance so I can't tell if it's a good deal or not. Should I get it?

The policy is on a per-person basis based upon age and how much the cruise costs. Minors under 18 at the time of purchase who are accompanied by their parents or grandparents are automatically covered free of charge.

FWIW: My policy which covers $2,000 of my trip if cancelled cost me $105. I'm 48 going on 49 during my cruise.

Most of the travel articles that I've read about travel insurance say that the cost shouldn't be more than 10% of your trip cost. The key question is what do you get for your $85? Most insurances will provide coverage for the cost of your trip and lost baggage, etc. I like to get as much medical coverage and medevac coverage as I can (a simple medevac can cost $25k or more).

The policy is on a per-person basis based upon age and how much the cruise costs. Minors under 18 at the time of purchase who are accompanied by their parents or grandparents are automatically covered free of charge.

FWIW: My policy which covers $2' date='000 of my trip if cancelled cost me $105. I'm 48 going on 49 during my cruise.[/quote']I would want cover that pays out 100% of my expenditure (less a reasonable excess) Paying out only $2000 is not proper insurance, unless the cruise is very cheap.

Probably more importantly is how much medical cover you have.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

First of all, yes, you should definitely purchase some type of insurance.

It's hard to say if your travel agent's quote is good or not - what does the policy cover? Most people are concerned about medical insurance and evacuation costs. Does your regular health insurance cover you out of the country? Evacuations can cost thousands of dollars.

Most basic policies cover things like trip/baggage delays, lost luggage, medical problems, etc.

You can go on line and check various policies yourself. Many people like insuremytrip.com.

We think folks make a huge mistake when purchasing trip policies. Instead of focusing on getting back the cost of a canceled cruise (which was money you were planning to spend on the trip) you should be taking a very hard look at your medical insurance (both your own policy and what you get from a trip policy). Consider a person who books a $2000 per person cruise for two persons and worries about getting back their $4000 if they must cancel. If either party has a major medical issue, the cost of that medical treatment could quickly exceed $50,000 or even more. Since your liability for possible medical and medical evacuation issues is virtually unlimited, one should carefully consider the coverage.

Hank

I would want cover that pays out 100% of my expenditure (less a reasonable excess) Paying out only $2000 is not proper insurance, unless the cruise is very cheap.

Probably more importantly is how much medical cover you have.

To be fair, the insurance was taken out at the same time that I booked my cruise in mid-March for a mid-September Caribbean cruise. At that time, I did not know the cost of the airfare nor the cost of the hotel. I will have to purchase additional coverage, but that is easily adjusted. I am traveling solo in a inside cave and also paying the single supplement.

The big thing (to me) is the emergency medical evacuation, as that is at least $100k minimum. The policy includes $500k for medical evacuation, and $25k for medical expenses during the trip. Trip interruption is $3k, and trip cancellation is $2k.

Here's in a nutshell of what was offered for $85 (1 adult + 2 kids):

Trip Cancellation Up to 100% of Trip Cost (max coverage: $100K)

Trip Interruption Up to 150% of Trip Cost (max cov: $150K)

Missed Connection $800

Travel Delay $800

Emergency Medical and Dental $25,000

Emergency Medical Transportation $500,000

Baggage Loss/Damage $1,000

Baggage Delay $300

Should I look elsewhere?

Missed Connection $800

Travel Delay $800

Baggage Delay $300

Should I look elsewhere?

To me, the medical coverage looks low. Depends on your ages, general state of health, and how lucky you feel; but at my age, I'd be looking for more medical coverage.

It costs you nothing to look at insuremytrip to see what policies they can offer.

There is a bit of "con" being practiced by many travel insurance companies/policies. They will write limits that include very high evacuation coverage (such as the $500,000) which costs the insurance company very little since trip evacuation seldom exceeds $50,000 (and is often a lot less) and very rarely goes above $100,000. So the incremental cost of raising those limits above $50,000 is very low to the insurer. But the big risk is in the medical insurance area where even a short emergency situation can quickly cost 10s of thousands of dollars. These days, many in the medical insurance industry consider $100,000 of coverage to be the bare minimum. Having spent over thirty years in the medical insurance industry (government side) I am not even comfortable with $100,000 in coverage.

Hank

Missed Connection $800

Travel Delay $800

Baggage Delay $300

Should I look elsewhere?

While I feel that $25,000 is a low limit for emergency medical, I think that $85 for all the other coverages for three people for 8 days is suspiciously low.

Anyone else with experience buying such coverage have input?

This type of insurance is just like any other, what do you want covered and for what reason. several sites will put policies side by side so you can choose what you need

There is a bit of "con" being practiced by many travel insurance companies/policies. They will write limits that include very high evacuation coverage (such as the $500,000) which costs the insurance company very little since trip evacuation seldom exceeds $50,000 (and is often a lot less) and very rarely goes above $100,000. So the incremental cost of raising those limits above $50,000 is very low to the insurer. But the big risk is in the medical insurance area where even a short emergency situation can quickly cost 10s of thousands of dollars. These days, many in the medical insurance industry consider $100,000 of coverage to be the bare minimum. Having spent over thirty years in the medical insurance industry (government side) I am not even comfortable with $100,000 in coverage.

Hank

Exactly what I was going to say. That $500,000 evac limit just has shady written all over it for me. Is air force one coming to pick you up? Then $25,000 for medical. Not nearly enough in the case of a true emergency.

They will also try to find ways to get out of paying the medical costs. Whether they can blame it on a pre-existing condition, or get your existing insurance to cover it, in which case you are good anyway.

Here's in a nutshell of what was offered for $85 (1 adult + 2 kids): Emergency Medical and Dental $25,000

Personally, I feel the medical is WAY too low. I had an emergency room visit in Florida last year and one night in hospital and all my tests came to over $18,000. We had excellent coverage and everything was reimbursed, but will you be comfortable with medical coverage being so low?

From reading all of your posts I guess I will pass up on this offer and research on others that makes more sense. I'm 45, husband 47 + 3 kids (11, 14, 15), we don't expect any major health issues but ya never know...anything can happen at any moment and I want to be sure we're well covered.

From reading all of your posts I guess I will pass up on this offer and research on others that makes more sense. I'm 45, husband 47 + 3 kids (11, 14, 15), we don't expect any major health issues but ya never know...anything can happen at any moment and I want to be sure we're well covered.

Call Steve or one of his associates at The Trip Insurance Store ...best to speak to someone in person to get what would be best for you. Once you speak to them I think you'll feel very comfortable that you have gotten the best policy for your specific needs. We (and many others on this board) have been relying on their expertise for travel insurance for many years.

(888) 407-3854

http://www.thetripinsurancestore.com

Missed Connection $800

Travel Delay $800

Baggage Delay $300

Should I look elsewhere?

Maybe you could ask the ins. co. if this covers Cancel For Any Reason. Life happens.

Personally, I feel the medical is WAY too low. I had an emergency room visit in Florida last year and one night in hospital and all my tests came to over $18,000. We had excellent coverage and everything was reimbursed, but will you be comfortable with medical coverage being so low?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would suggest inputting your details into www.insuremytrip.com and see what they come up with. You will be able to review multiple policies and compare them side by side.

Get a good Travel credit card that already includes the coverage, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve.

We buy insurance anyway. The Chase Sapphire cards don't cover medical evacuation or preexisting conditions. They basically cover the kinds of things we could self insure, but not the big expenses that would affect our retirement future.