Carrying old passport as "backup"

luckybecky

I have always left my passport locked in the safe for the duration of our cruise, unless otherwise directed by the cruise line. I do not make a habit of carrying it with me, for fear of losing it or having it stolen.

But this brings up the question of what to do if stranded in a port while my passport is safely locked up on board. I do always carry my driver's license, but would there be any advantage to also taking along an old expired passport? Would this help at all if I had to go to an embassy for help if stranded in a foreign port?

I doubt it would be helpful at all. Everything is computerized nowadays and if you needed help from the consulate they could find you in the system with the information about yourself that you already know. If you have your passport number if could reduce their search time by a few seconds.

Your old passport really does very little to help you. Yes it is a ID but the information is wrong. Carry a photo copy or take a picture of your passport and keep on your phone. You can also take a picture have it made credit card size, and laminate and keep in your wallet.

I have always left my passport locked in the safe for the duration of our cruise, unless otherwise directed by the cruise line. I do not make a habit of carrying it with me, for fear of losing it or having it stolen.

But this brings up the question of what to do if stranded in a port while my passport is safely locked up on board. I do always carry my driver's license, but would there be any advantage to also taking along an old expired passport? Would this help at all if I had to go to an embassy for help if stranded in a foreign port?

What I read here is that you are afraid to carry your official ID (passport) for fear of loosing it.

What I read here is that you are afraid that you will not have your official ID if you need it.

A little bit of advice. Stop being afraid and pick one of your fears and erase the other fear. Personally, I carry my ID with me. That way, if I'm stranded, I won't have to waste time, getting a duplicate passport, and instead, enjoy the island life a couple of days and fly home when I'm ready to meet the rest of my family holding my luggage at the pier.

I also leave my passport on the ship and take a coloured photocopy of my passport, DL and BC and put it into a ziplock bag in my knapsack.

An old passport is good to have. I cross the border between Canada and USA a lot. We were going to a hockey game in USA and his passport had expired. Unfortunately we were stopped by the border handcuffed and brought into be questioned. Long story short my friend had the same birth date as someone that was wanted. After our ordeal the customs officer asked him why he didn't have a passport and explained it had expired a year previously. Customs said he should have kept it with him to prove who he was as it has all his information on it even though expired and it would have helped him in this case to process us more faster. Instead of missing the entire first period we would have got there for at least the anthem lol

I take my passport with me, but keep in safe by using an under the clothes belt or if in europe, then an inside pocket of my Scotevest jacket. The purpose of a passport is identification for travel which is why I carry it with me. It does you no good locked up in your room.

the purpose of a color copy of your passport is to expedite a replacement if you need it. So carrying the color copy is NOT identification, it's recommended by the state department as the best way to facilitate getting a replacement at the US embassy should yours be lost or stolen.

If you want back up identification, and you have Global Entry, use your global entry ID card but identification is only valid if it's issued from a government agency.

Maybe it’s the way I think, but if something would happen to a valid passport and I tried to use an expired one in a foreign country (or even in the U.S.), I would think that would arouse suspicion and scrutiny.

Agreed with most, instead make a color copy of your valid passport and carry that with you.

Good suggestions everyone. Thanks for the tips. Several years ago I scanned my passport and emailed it to myself. I figured that I probably could gain access to email almost anywhere, and certainly at a US embassy if I needed it, even if my ID (or anything else I carried with me) was lost. I need to update that scan now that I have a new passport.

I'm not at all afraid to travel and have done so many times. Just like to be practical and prepared. I recently read the tale of someone who had missed the ship and it made me wonder how best to be prepared in case of emergency. That's what prompted my question. Some of the main tips I gleaned from that thread were: carry your phone and *charger* (don't leave charger on board), have some cash even if you think you won't need it, and a credit card.

Lisah101, we also used an under the clothes belt when travelling in some European cities that had a notorious reputation for pickpockets. It never hurts to be on the safe side.

Happy travels y'all!

I think the key here is know before you go. The bottom line here is missing the ship. This is what I do when on a cruise that cruises to Caribbean/Bahamas etc ...Before leaving I search for the location embassies and/or consulate. Times and dates they're open. Before booking an excursion on my own ( not through the cruise line) I make sure they have me back to the pier on time. Same applies for going off on my own. The ship will leave without me, unless it's a cruise line excursion.They have to wait if I book with the ship. Listen for announcements about time,( ship time and port time may be different) on port days. I bring an watch. I also bring my passport and a credit card and some cash. At least I can get home. It'll still be a hassle, slightly better than not having a passport or the money to get home. Bottom line, don't miss the boat This is just my opinion and my advise.

So here is my MO whenever I travel anywhere out of the country

I carry my driver's license, and a copy of passport with me at all times. My original passport stays locked in the safe back at ship/hotel. I also have a scanned copy of my passport in my email so I can access it from any computer anywhere and print that. I think the risk of having my passport stolen or lost carrying it around with me is far greater then the chance I will miss the boat, so I hedge my bet to leave it locked away

I have also heard that Carnival will pull your passport / etc. from your room and leave it with the dock staff if you are not back on board. I do not know if this is true or not.

I don't think an expired passport would do any better than this.

My passport is expired currently. I think I am going to get both the book and the card this time. That way I can just carry the passport card in my wallet with my ID (and pray I don't lose my wallet).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

That’s what I’m doing. Mine is out for renewal now and I applied for both this time. Just an extra $30.

It will not help you at all.