I have a question...

bronzebeauty

Does anyone know the policy with bringing medication onboard? My mother in law is on a few medications and usually has her pills separated into one of those weekly pill containers. Is it allowed to have her meds sorted out like that or will she need to have them in her pill bottles.

I always bring my meds separated into one of those daily pill boxes and I've never had a problem. However, should you be taking any narcotics of any kind they should be transported in the original pill bottle bearing your name and physician.

It's always recommended to take original pill bottles. Not just for Carnival, but also for customs and immigration when you come back. Many years ago my wife was forced to dump a bunch of medication at PHI on a return flight from Sint Maarten because they weren't in prescription bottles and couldn't be identified. As if the customs people knew what every prescription looks like, but I digress...

That said, I've never had an issue on a ship or in a port.

The weekly organizers are fine. I take two, one for morning and one for evening pills.

I am sure you would do this anyway, but she should have them in her carry-on, not her checked bags.

I always take a few days' extra supply because stuff happens and I may not get home exactly when I thought I would.

Hope you have a great cruise.

I always bring my meds separated into one of those daily pill boxes and I've never had a problem. However, should you be taking any narcotics of any kind they should be transported in the original pill bottle bearing your name and physician.

I second this. But I have never had an issue - even with medication purchased in Mexico....

I bring my pills in a daily pill organizer. (just like I use at home). However, I also bring a copy of the RX's for the meds and I keep it attached to the organizer with a rubber band. (none are narcotics). I do this not so much for Customs but more so in case the ships Doctors need to know for some reason.

Cruising for 15 years and never have been questioned by authorities, port or TSA. I bring my meds along in the weekly pill holder also. I used to bring the prescription bottles but stopped about 5 years ago.

Like the comment above, we have been cruising 20 years+ and I am a transplant recipient so tons of meds needed daily. It is almost impossible (and very impractical) for me to carry med containers because of the pure volume of medications I take. I make up 2 large pill boxes sectioned into 4 large doses per day X 7 days and that is what I bring. Never any issues, no questions and no trouble from airlines or cruise check in.

Note : due to the importance of the pills i carry them in my carry on backpack and NEVER check them in (at airport or cruise terminal) so they are always with me

You may get away with the daily dividers but keeping them in the original prescription bottle is the only correct answer. After all, many prescriptions are controlled substances and the prescription is what makes them legal to possess.

I take nine pills a day. I bring them in the original bottles in a shaving kit that I use just for them. That way, if something happens and we're gone for longer than anticipated, I'm covered. It doesn't take up that much room and I have it in my carry on.

Any drug that is a Schedule I through Schedule IV should be in original dispensary bottle (you will know if your prescription is a scheduled narcotic).

Actually, very few prescriptions are scheduled narcotics.

Everything else can be carried however you please.

The most important thing that you need to know about prescription medications -- DO NOT put them in the luggage that you give to the porters. Keep them on your person while boarding the ship. If something happens and your luggage somehow doesn't make it on the ship (it does happen occasionally) you will not have them.

Check with your pharmacist to see if they will do up bubble packs for your mother. We've done this in the past when my mother was taking various pills 3-4 times a day.

Now we take her pills in the daily pill organizer except for any controlled ones like opioid drugs.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

She can take them in the pill containers if she likes. We do it that way and never had a problem. If we have any higher degree medication (pain meds) I take them in the original prescription bottle.

Sounds like what we do for DH's pills.

I also get a print-out from our pharmacy with the drugs that are in the pill container listed.

We've never had a problem. If in doubt - fill the pill containers and take the bottles with the labels in a zip lock bag.

Mine are also in the weekly (AM & PM) pill organizers. I've never had a problem flying with them either. I have a controlled substance which I bring for emergencies & that is in the original container from the pharmacy.

It's fine to use a pill minder, but I always take extra of my prescription medication just in case there is any delay returning to port. I have pharmacy-labeled bottles that are a smaller size and usually take an extra week's worth of those. Supplements that are not necessary to live, I just put in the pill minder and don't worry about it.