Bringing whiskey on

Ifortworth

Result is that those who cruise and do not pay for drinks or any other extras could be viewed as stealing from the drinkers, since they cruise for less than a fair price while drinkers pay more than a fair price.

As soon as it becomes a violation of the rules to not purchase anything on board then your theory might have some merit. Since there are currently no such rules your theory is pure hogwash.

What I mean is this. Carnival lures people on to cruises with low fares, below what they need to earn to stay afloat (No pun intended.)

Alcohol served at sea costs Carnival little. They buy in bulk and have no taxes. It is served by low wage workers. The savings are not passed on to us.

Result is that those who cruise and do not pay for drinks or any other extras could be viewed as stealing from the drinkers, since they cruise for less than a fair price while drinkers pay more than a fair price.

Smuggling evens the playing field. Perhaps Carnival will come around some day and raise fares and reduce drink prices. Until then, smuggle away!

like:)

Smuggling evens the playing field. Perhaps Carnival will come around some day and raise fares and reduce drink prices. Until then, smuggle away!

Im not sure I understand this...

so if they raise fares for example by $100 for everyone and lower the drink prices on average to equal $100 , what difference will it be for the drinker? they pay the exact same thing so how will this be the answer to smuggling?

They charge the lowest prices possible for the mandatory things (cruise fares) and then the optional things have the ability to make up the difference. this is the same everywhere. go to a ballgame and get a hot dog. the prices are ridiculous. should they raise tickets for a ballgame and lower the prices of the hot dogs? The popcorn in a movie theater are astronomical compared to buying it in a store so should they raise ticket prices of a movie and lower the popcorn prices?

If they do as you say, the people that buy the optional things will break even so it wont stop smuggling. only people that lose are the ones that don't drink and no one would win.

Rum runners work well. We walked on today with 3 fifths in each bag. We carried our own luggage on. I don’t think it’s bein cheap. I think it’s bein smart. I’m sure I’ll get flamed for all this but I do give at rats ass. Y’all don’t pay my bills and it’s my money, I’ll spend it as I wish!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rum runners work well. We walked on today with 3 fifths in each bag. We carried our own luggage on. I don’t think it’s bein cheap. I think it’s bein smart. I’m sure I’ll get flamed for all this but I do give at rats ass. Y’all don’t pay my bills and it’s my money, I’ll spend it as I wish!

You're right! It's "bein" smart! No wait, nevermind. It's cheap. But that's Arkansas for you.

What I mean is this. Carnival lures people on to cruises with low fares, below what they need to earn to stay afloat (No pun intended.)

Alcohol served at sea costs Carnival little. They buy in bulk and have no taxes. It is served by low wage workers. The savings are not passed on to us.

I am sorry, but this argument lacks truth and/or common sense. The price of drinks on Carnival ships is no different than the price of drinks in every restaurant and bar that I use where I live on land. And, they would not be successful if they did not charge a price that did not cover the cost of what they are selling and an appropriate profit. To think otherwise shows an abundant lack of business sense and fantasy. Have never heard a sillier argument.

Didn't miss anything. Liquids inside of a plastic bottle leech into the plastic and will still impart a "taste" after being washed. :rolleyes:

Oh, not according to RenoNanaOz who thinks there's some magical potion consisting of lemon juice or vinegar or some such that she INSISTS works, although she admits she's never tried it. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I was in the mood to bring some really good flavored Vodka (Grey Goose XO) & bought a cheap bottle of wine with a screw top. I emptied & cleaned the wine bottle, poured the grey goose in & screwed the top back on. I also used shrink wrap wine bottle caps. Some people use boiling water to shrink the plastic but I used a hair dryer. 1d523dc759666b2bcec5df2379bffc3a.jpg

One of the most flawed post on this subject ever!!!! Just plain stupid and illogical for all of the reasons already stated. :confused::confused::confused:

I don't know what's better, the fact that you're just another member of the "me generation", or that wonderful grammatical education that they provide in Arkansas. And math too, since I don't believe that there are rum runners that hold 2.25 liters of liquid each, which would be what 3 fifths combined total up to.

I was in the mood to bring some really good flavored Vodka (Grey Goose XO) & bought a cheap bottle of wine with a screw top. I emptied & cleaned the wine bottle, poured the grey goose in & screwed the top back on. I also used shrink wrap wine bottle caps. Some people use boiling water to shrink the plastic but I used a hair dryer. 1d523dc759666b2bcec5df2379bffc3a.jpg

Enjoy your 23 oz of smuggled on vodka, which is the equivalent of about 2 drinks per day over a 7 day cruise.

I’m going to partially agree with you but will reword your statement about stealing: nondrinker fares are subsidized by the drinkers on board. Non gamblers are also subsidized by the gamblers, spa users subsidize the non-users, etc. This is Carnival’s business model, more of an a la carte approach where the users of these services choose to pay extra while non-users pay only the basic fare.

If you want a “fairer” system choose a line with a different business model. For instance, we enjoy sailing out of NO because it is a convenient 2-hour drive. We have never sailed NCL, the “other” line sailing from NO, because NCL fares are always hundreds more per person than Carnival. NCL fans also say that it’s a better value because the drink package is included. As a nondrinker I find no value in this, as it would have me subsidizing the drinkers.

Would you be in favor of, for example, paying higher fares so that Carnival can increase the payout ratio on their slot machines?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, if you take multiple cruises, the rum runners are reusable. If you expense them all for one cruise, then you have a point. I have used mine at least four times since I got them. So that would be like $5 per cruise.

There are many so called justifications for breaking the rules....have not seen a valid one yet. Sent over your booking number and I will ensure that the numbers change....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anyone have any tips for successfully getting a little whiskey on board? In a wine bottle? Something else?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I don't know if the OP is still around, but here is a (lighthearted) suggestion:

Have a drink before boarding. You will successfully get a little whiskey on board without violating an contract terms, plus save money and avoid the crowds getting their first drink at the bars;)

On a more serious note: please don't use wine bottles. It is a nice concession that is still made to allow a bottle per passenger over 21. I hope they don't switch to either charging a corkage fee on all bottles or disallowing completely like they did with other bottled beverages.:(

On a more serious note: please don't use wine bottles. It is a nice concession that is still made to allow a bottle per passenger over 21. I hope they don't switch to either charging a corkage fee on all bottles or disallowing completely like they did with other bottled beverages.:(

^^^

This! The selfish "mind your own business, I'm not hurting anybody" crowd has already resulted in a ban on bottled beverages. I, too, hope they don't cost us our wine.

I, too, hope they don't cost us our wine.
Why should wine drinkers be allowed to bring on a 750 ml bottle per person, when beer drinkers can't bring on a six pack per person? It discriminates against those that prefer the grain to the grape. Maybe Carnival will charge 15.00 corkage fees in the future for each bottle brought on board like NCL does

Part of me wants to think you are serious about this post, but I'm skeptical.

We agree cruise lines are at a break even point at best for those that step aboard and don't drink, gamble, go to the spa or take a shore excursion. We also would agree that Carnival uses those items to offset the lower cruise costs that open up the chance to sail to a wider base.

It's a business model that Las Vegas has used for decades and it somehow works. Cost shifting to higher profit items makes the company profitable to invest in new ships, pay shareholders and stay in business.

I'm amused when someone posts "we spend $$$ on drinks, why not allow us to take a bottle of liquor?" And the answer is the host has a policy in place we both agree to abide by when we click AGREE on the Cruise Contract.

The other reasons are an attempt to control or at least monitor individual consumption. When someone falls into the ocean after a failed attempt to sit on a rail or swing from a balcony then Carnival can demonstrate how much they were served over a given time. I know the policy of carry-on wine negates that, but you get my point.

We really don't know what the cost per drink is at sea. Provisions are ordered, shipped, stored at the port and then loaded on by union longshoremen. Those all contribute to the cost.

Let's get a bucket and sit in the lido shade and try to figure this out...

See you at sea.

Why should wine drinkers be allowed to bring on a 750 ml bottle per person, when beer drinkers can't bring on a six pack per person? It discriminates against those that prefer the grain to the grape. Maybe Carnival will charge 15.00 corkage fees in the future for each bottle brought on board like NCL does

Don't ask me, I don't make the rules. I just follow them, unlike most around here it seems.

I don't know Carnival's reason for not allowing moderate amounts of canned beer to be carried on.

My husband also enjoys beer (although I doubt he could get his in cans unless they allowed growlers). We both drink hard cider and various other alcohol based drinks. We agreed to Carnival's terms and don't bring beverages they prohibit - although we will take advantage of buckets and $1 off specials;)

If I didn't agree to Carnival's terms, I would book with a different line whose terms fit us better.

Yes, being a liar, a rule breaker, and some folks may say a thief (though that is stretching it a bit) is "bein smart". Carry on.

that's because nobody owes YOU a valid reason, it's not up to you...

Well on that we can agree. Cheaters are cheaters, oh and did I say someone "owed" me anything? They state rationalizations for cheating and I call them out. Two facts. We can discuss further if you want?