Which Internet plan will allow me to text?

briehon

So after spending 20 minutes on hold with carnival, I decided to turn to these forums. All I wanna know is what Internet plan for purchase will allow me to text from my phone. And I don’t mean with someone else on the ship I mean someone Not on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Texting is through your phone carrier. It isn't through WiFi. There are exceptions, like WhatsApp and I think an iPhone has a texting feature that might work on WiFi (sorry, I'm an Android Geek, an iPhone idiot), but as a general rule, texting is using your phone (cell connection) and will cost you $ while on the ship. Some cell phone carriers have plans that will charge you by the text. Your question is really more of a cell phone carrier question than it is a Carnival question.

Having said all that, I purchased the highest internet plan last fall. I have Verizon. About 1/2 way through my cruise all of the sudden I started receiving texts through WiFi, while my phone was on AIRPLANE mode. That was about six months ago, I came home and researched it and found that it HAS happened before, to Verizon users while in AIRPLANE mode, but it isn't supposed to happen and I darn sure wouldn't count on it. It didn't work the first half of the cruise.

It might be easier for you to message via the Book of Faces instead of texting, if the person you need to text has that access. Or look into finding a WiFi messaging type program similar to WhatsApp.

So after spending 20 minutes on hold with carnival, I decided to turn to these forums. All I wanna know is what Internet plan for purchase will allow me to text from my phone. And I don’t mean with someone else on the ship I mean someone Not on the ship.

For starters, we'd at least need to know what type of phone you have (iPhone or Android phone). iMessage on iPhones works over wifi, but only to communicate with other iPhones. Reports vary on how well it works using Carnival's Social wifi plan, so keep that in mind. As far as I know, it works normally on the Value & Premium plans. Otherwise, like others have said, you're going to need a dedicated messaging app, like fb messenger, whatsapp, or snapchat, all of which are supported on the Social plan (and above).

I have been able to call and text over WiFi using android phones from cruise ships and other areas where I don't get service (we live in the middle of nowhere). I could do it with my old LG G3 almost a year ago and in November with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I was able to call and text my husband (also an android device) who was with me on the November trip and was home when I cruised in April '17. It's an easy way to keep in touch. We called my mom who has an iPhone a few times while we were on the Vista in November so our son could tell her about his day.

Maybe it only works for Verizon phones because that's what we all have. Just make sure you have your phone in airplane mode and use WiFi only.

I forgot to mention above that we used the value internet plan.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

To jump in here, I see your signature says you have an Iphone. You have a wifi calling feature in your settings. Turn it on. You'll find it in Settings then "phone." You'll see a "wifi calling" prompt. Turn it on. It will ask you to fill in an address. This is for 911 service. Simply enter your home address. It is now activated and you can use your phone when in "wifi calling" mode just like you are at home. You can use it for texts or phone calls. To make sure the phone biases to "wifi calling" on the ship, turn it into "airplane mode" and turn the "wifi" on and hook up to the internet You will shortly see in the upper left corner where your carrier is displayed "[carrier]wifi." For example, ATT says "ATTwifi." Verizon says "VZWwifi" etc. You are now good to go. You can text any number or call any number that your plan allows, even if they are on the ship with you for no charge, just like you are at home. If you call a foreign number you'll be charged your plan's rate for foreign calls, but if you call a domestic number, no matter where you are or where the phone you call is, it is charged just as if you are at your home. This also works in any foreign country as long as you are on wifi and it's displayed as your carrier.

Androids also are capable of wifi calling, but I don't know how to turn it on. Hope this helps.

P.S. BE SURE YOU HAVE "DATA ROAMING" TURNED OFF!!! This will prevent any data downloads while the phone is roaming. If you are only using wifi calling then keep the phone in airplane mode.

To jump in here, I see your signature says you have an Iphone. You have a wifi calling feature in your settings. Turn it on. You'll find it in Settings then "phone." You'll see a "wifi calling" prompt. Turn it on. It will ask you to fill in an address. This is for 911 service. Simply enter your home address. It is now activated and you can use your phone when in "wifi calling" mode just like you are at home. You can use it for texts or phone calls. To make sure the phone biases to "wifi calling" on the ship, turn it into "airplane mode" and turn the "wifi" on and hook up to the internet You will shortly see in the upper left corner where your carrier is displayed "[carrier]wifi." For example, ATT says "ATTwifi." Verizon says "VZWwifi" etc. You are now good to go. You can text any number or call any number that your plan allows, even if they are on the ship with you. This also works in any foreign country as long as you are on wifi and it's displayed as your carrier.

Androids also are capable of wifi calling, but I don't know how to turn it on. Hope this helps.

P.S. BE SURE YOU HAVE "DATA ROAMING" TURNED OFF!!! This will prevent any data downloads while the phone is roaming. If you are only using wifi calling then keep the phone in airplane mode.

And will I be able to do this with any of the plans?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And will I be able to do this with any of the plans?

If you mean Carnival Internet Plans, I don't know the answer to that. I've only used it on Royal Caribbean and it worked great. We had our whole family, 6 adults and 5 kids on Oasis of the Seas. Since we were in suites, we all had individual VOOM plans and we were all able to phone or text each other while on the ship with no problem. I would assume that if your phone will show "[carrier]wifi" i.e. "ATTwifi" in the carrier spot, then it'll work. If it won't pick it up then it won't work. But to be honest, I don't know. Looking at Carnival's plans, I would not be surprised that it won't work on the "social" plan as that plan says it'll cut out most apps. But if you're only sending a text, who knows? I would think that the texting ability would work on at least the Value plan. Not sure if you could phone on the Value plan. If you can upgrade packages on board, you might be able to try the cheaper one and see if it works, and if not, then upgrade to the one that does.

Texting is through your phone carrier. It isn't through WiFi. There are exceptions, like WhatsApp and I think an iPhone has a texting feature that might work on WiFi (sorry, I'm an Android Geek, an iPhone idiot), but as a general rule, texting is using your phone (cell connection) and will cost you $ while on the ship. Some cell phone carriers have plans that will charge you by the text. Your question is really more of a cell phone carrier question than it is a Carnival question.

Having said all that, I purchased the highest internet plan last fall. I have Verizon. About 1/2 way through my cruise all of the sudden I started receiving texts through WiFi, while my phone was on AIRPLANE mode. That was about six months ago, I came home and researched it and found that it HAS happened before, to Verizon users while in AIRPLANE mode, but it isn't supposed to happen and I darn sure wouldn't count on it. It didn't work the first half of the cruise.

It might be easier for you to message via the Book of Faces instead of texting, if the person you need to text has that access. Or look into finding a WiFi messaging type program similar to WhatsApp.

We have a Samsung 7 via Verizon and leave phone in airplane mode all the time.

Every once in awhile we start getting texts. Does not happen all the time when we are out of the country but rather often.

No idea why and have never been charged for international texts but nice when it happens.

We have a Samsung 7 via Verizon and leave phone in airplane mode all the time.

Every once in awhile we start getting texts. Does not happen all the time when we are out of the country but rather often.

No idea why and have never been charged for international texts but nice when it happens.

It is nice to find someone else it happened to! I was shocked to get them, as it was my work who was actually texting me - I have found that I can't hide, even on vacation! :cool:

The Carnival website says none of their three Inet plans allow for 'wifi calling'; meaning taking and making calls, sending and getting text messages through wifi instead via cell signal. Check your carrier for texting on cruise ships; T-mobile users get text messages for free on ships, and cost $0.50 to send each text message. I forward my cell number to my home phone, (which emails me any voicemails), and stay connected to the ships' cell service so I can get my text messages.

The Carnival website says none of their three Inet plans allow for 'wifi calling'; meaning taking and making calls, sending and getting text messages through wifi instead via cell signal. Check your carrier for texting on cruise ships; T-mobile users get text messages for free on ships, and cost $0.50 to send each text message. I forward my cell number to my home phone, (which emails me any voicemails), and stay connected to the ships' cell service so I can get my text messages.

I have been able to use facebook chat functions using the carnival WiFi

I have been able to use facebook chat functions using the carnival WiFi

I did too - but it was very sporadic. If I needed it for work I wouldn't trust it.

for me, part of the fun is DISCONNECTING - but I understand if you can't. i purchased the cheapest wi fi plan. the most successful app I was able to use was Facebook Messenger.

Apple and later model Android phones will allow texts thru WiFi. We purchased the middle priced plan on our last cruise. We could communicate via text with any FB friend (Messenger app) at no extra charge. One of our dinner friends had an iPhone and calling via WiFi.

I have T-Mobile & have been able to text from every location I've visited, including Russia last summer.

If you don't have a plan as flexible as T-Mobile's, look into an app such as Whatsapp or FB Messenger.

If you are texting iPhone to iPhone, iMessage works over wifi and reportedly works with the social media plan which is the cheapest plan.

The above will work if everyone you are texting has an iPhone. If anyone with an android is involved, you will both need to download WhatsApp, the texting app. Carnival's website says the Social Media plan (the cheapest) works with this as well as iMessage.

The above will work if everyone you are texting has an iPhone. If anyone with an android is involved, you will both need to download WhatsApp, the texting app. Carnival's website says the Social Media plan (the cheapest) works with this as well as iMessage.
That's why Saint Greg specified "texting iPhone to iPhone" in regards to iMessage. Also, Carnival's FAQ's specifically state iMessage is not supported under the Social plan. Reports very, though. For some, it's been pretty reliable. For others, off & on. Whatsapp isn't the only one supported. Fb messenger and snapchat are named as well. There are others that will work, too.

If I just keep my phone on, will I be able to text and call and just incur roaming charges? I can get a limited international plan but will it work at sea?

If that’s the way you want to go, they’ll turn on Cellular at Sea, usually once they hit international waters, and you can connect to that. I don’t know if your international plan will cover it, you’ll have to ask. Some carriers have temporary cruise plans you can buy.

That's why Saint Greg specified "texting iPhone to iPhone" in regards to iMessage. Also, Carnival's FAQ's specifically state iMessage is not supported under the Social plan. Reports very, though. For some, it's been pretty reliable. For others, off & on. Whatsapp isn't the only one supported. Fb messenger and snapchat are named as well. There are others that will work, too.

Yes, I wasn't saying that Saint Greg wasn't clear. I was just giving an option for Android users as well that doesn't involve Social Media (like FB and Snapchat) because not everyone has those or trusts those. WhatsApp is just a texting app. It is definitely not the only option but it was my opinion.