Crime in Mexico

jsf

1. Because my information is relative to travel to Mexico.

2. Because my information is relative to travel to Mexico.

3. Because I don't like seeing people murdered-anywhere.

4. I don't know 'why' I found it.

Now a final question for you: Why are you so angry and antagonistic to someone who is only trying to offer current info

to other travellers to Mexico?

Go ahead. You can have the last word since I am sure it is important to you.

All you are doing is making people afraid of something that is of incredibly low risk. That's why people are calling you out on it. Many more people were murdered recently in Chicago, but people who go there to vacation are fine. This is no different than that.

There's no reason to fear Mexico or people who live there. And people are murdered all over the world every day- do you feel sorry for them, too? And post that info as well?

Stop fanning the fear of Mexico and Central America. That's weak.

All you are doing is making people afraid of something that is of incredibly low risk. That's why people are calling you out on it. Many more people were murdered recently in Chicago, but people who go there to vacation are fine. This is no different than that.

There's no reason to fear Mexico or people who live there. And people are murdered all over the world every day- do you feel sorry for them, too? And post that info as well?

Stop fanning the fear of Mexico and Central America. That's weak.

I agree. If all people knew of most cities was the local headlines, they would never go anywhere. People tend to fear the unknown, that is why the are usually not afraid of their own area, but hear a story about another area and are terrified of going there. The odds of being killed in a car wreck in your hometown are multiple times higher than being murdered while traveling in Mexico or most anywhere else tourists regularly visit. Yet most everyone gets in their car and drives daily without giving it a second thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Read up - the ferry out of Cozumel recently had a bombing associated with drug cartel that injured or killed tourists. There are warnings associated with Cozumel area.

The bomb was just enough to cause some smoke. It was placed to lower the value of the Cozumel ferry concession so the current concession owner could get it at a better price. It was not terrorism or drug related.

Today's news: Eight found murdered in Cancun. I don't care to be around that environment no matter the reason or who is responsible. That's not a vacation. :(

Were they found on a beach in Cancun in front of a 5 star hotel at noon? Or were they found at midnight in a back roads bar frequented my nefarious locals...and drug dealers?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Today's news: Eight found murdered in Cancun. I don't care to be around that environment no matter the reason or who is responsible. That's not a vacation. :(

Do you travel much? If so, Do you know the recent murders in any place you visit?

I guessing every place on the planet has daily murders

Even Iowa I hear

I'm sorry. I don't understand your response. It's been years since I sailed on RC and I have NO cruises scheduled to go to Mexico on any other cruise line.

What is your point with your "feel better now" comment? I am going to Europe in a few days and then to Japan next year.

Are you concerned that...

A. Japan is not so far from North Korea

B. That there was a nuclear power plant meltdown in recent years in Japan

C. A European cruise? If that's what you are doing..are you concerned about migrant boats approaching your ship?

D. Land based in Europe? Some concerns there too I would guess

We spend 10 days in Cozumel every January. We feel very safe and no we don't always stick to the tourist areas. As far as Playa and Cancun go been there done that so no reason to go back we didn't care for those places anyway. Will we go to Cozumel this coming January? Unless health issues with our parents prevent us we will be there. I've already started pricing the trip

Were they found on a beach in Cancun in front of a 5 star hotel at noon? Or were they found at midnight in a back roads bar frequented my nefarious locals...and drug dealers?

As you expected, there were not 8 bodies found at one time in one location. It was a total of 8 in a week at various locations. None in the hotel district and sounds like drug / gang murders that happen in most larger U S cities regularly. All most people read are misleading headlines or posts on social media.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/08/23/8-bodies-found-cancun-mexico-prompting-travel-warning/1071436002/

Edited by JT1962

The first time I visited Acapulco I thought it was 40-50 years past its prime. Saw lots of armed army and police officers. The second time, I wouldn't leave the pier just off the ship. I don't feel safe in Acapulco.
Same experience. It's a dump. We've been to all the Mexican port cities/areas and have vacationed in the Yucatan, no interest in returning. Choosing Hawaii every time, don't care about any add'l cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1. Then why are you posting on a Royal Caribbean board?

2. Why are you commenting on a thread about Mexico?

3. Why do you care about a murder in Cancun?

4. Why did you find a four month old thread to comment on?

1. This is not a Royal Caribbean Board - it is “Ask a Cruise Question”.

2. The theme of this thread is “Crime in Mexico”.

3. Cancun is in Mexico and murder is a crime.

4. Threads have no “Post by” date.

Do you often get lost?

Same experience. It's a dump. We've been to all the Mexican port cities/areas and have vacationed in the Yucatan, no interest in returning. Choosing Hawaii every time, don't care about any add'l cost.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Totally agree. We all make choice and personally we have no desire to visit Mexico again. If staying local it is Hawaii for us every time (except possibly this week)

PV an armed camp? Sure did not notice that on any of the three consecutive years that we have vacationed there. Nor did an acquaintance who has spent his winters there for the past 10 years mention it to us when we were discussing spending a few winter months in PV.

Frankly, we are just as concerned about crime when we spend pre cruise time in parts of Florida or in the New Orleans area.

Edited by iancal

Do you often get lost?

To be fair this thread started on the Royal Caribbean board and was just recently moved to this board.

It is a fair question in that even with deploying the army, Mexican government still doesn't have a good handle on these drug gangs. In fact, the situation just keeps getting worse year after year with no end in sight. Makes you think the central government is just weak, incompetence and not in control.

Do you often get lost?

This thread was on "Royal Caribbean board" until last nite. Was moved here after...

With all the reports of crime in Mexico are you worried about traveling to that country on cruises?

Princess has just cancelled set ports and changed itineraries. They've done it in the past and will do it in the future

Which ports and which ships?

On one of our cruises, Mazatlan was dropped for the entire season. From these boards, Acapulco made the naughty list.

You do know a cruise line or captain can change any aspect of any cruise at the last minute. Embarkation date and disembarkation date are about the only thing they can change with out LEGALLY making refunds.

On one of our cruises, Mazatlan was dropped for the entire season. From these boards, Acapulco made the naughty list.

You do know a cruise line or captain can change any aspect of any cruise at the last minute. Embarkation date and disembarkation date are about the only thing they can change with out LEGALLY making refunds.

I assumed by your post that said “Princess just canceled ports..” you meant that they had canceled ports in the last few days due to this most recent advisory. That is what I was interested in finding out. Issues from a few years ago aren’t relevant to the current posting or for those traveling soon.

And I am aware that they can change any port any time for any reason without compensation. It’s usually weather related, but can be for safety issues in a particular port, a medical issue on board, etc.

That is one of many reasons to get a good travel insurance policy that will compensate you for missed ports or a change of itinerary in addition to trip cancellation, medical coverage / evacuation, etc.

Edited by JT1962

Is this for the 2018/19 season?

Or are you just reiterating something pertinent to some cruise you took years ago?

Only a current cancellation of a currently scheduled port or a near future scheduled port stop in Mexico would qualify as a port being cancelled due to safety issues in Mexico

I don't know of any cruise line that calls on Cancun.

I would suggest that you exercise caution in many large US cities, the same things have been known to happen here too.