More fake service dog nonsense

But it's ok to use one after a baby/toddler [emoji33]

Oh, no, now I have visions of poopy diapers. Now, I'm going to have to bring a hazmat suit to the grocery store? :rolleyes:

It has gotten a little crazy. I stopped at a grocery store 2 days ago and they had put up a sign that said "Your ADA service dog is welcome here. All other animals MUST be left outside for the health and safety of our customers."
Good to see the store standing up to these selfish people.

Good to see the store standing up to these selfish people.
But how does one prove that it is indeed an 'ADA service dog'?

I went into a Kroger once with Laura and Bella. We needed something on the way home from visiting friends. I held her in my arms the entire time.

A manager walked up to me at the checkout and said "Is that a companion dog?" I said yes and we left. Laura is still mad at me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oh, no, now I have visions of poopy diapers. Now, I'm going to have to bring a hazmat suit to the grocery store? :rolleyes:

Just take your support animal and you will be fine. ;):'):D

The only reason these people who abuse the service dog program is so they do not have to put the dog in a kennel on vacation. I saw a woman at an outdoor festival that did not allow pets; carry this small dog wearing all kinds of service dog signs. She said it was a comfort dog. Every dog is a comfort dog unless the dog is for protection. Stop abusing the real needs of those people that need help.

And if the fake service dog doesn't cause any damages, (and pooping on the deck wouldn't qualify as "damages") the person gets their money back, don't see any deterrent effect there. And you'd create a whole new genre of threads about this deposit being a "nickel and dime" issue. And you think the cruise lines want to advertise a $1000 price increase?

No, it wouldn't create damage; however, it could necessitate extra, non-normal service requirements of the crew. Cleaning up after the pet should cost extra. (I don't have much sympathy for passengers who create biologically hazardous, non-normal clean up either, and I imagine drunks do that fairly often.)

The only reason these people who abuse the service dog program is so they do not have to put the dog in a kennel on vacation. I saw a woman at an outdoor festival that did not allow pets; carry this small dog wearing all kinds of service dog signs. She said it was a comfort dog. Every dog is a comfort dog unless the dog is for protection. Stop abusing the real needs of those people that need help.

I suspect you are right: finances drive a lot of decisions that are basically selfish.

I suspect you are right: finances drive a lot of decisions that are basically selfish.

I don't think finances are are driving this bus. It's the emotional attachment to their animal. People dress them up like they are their own babies/children. I think they need to leave their comfort fido at home or find an alternative vacation. Cruise lines need to crack down. What part of N_O don't people seem to understand. :rolleyes:

I don't think finances are are driving this bus. It's the emotional attachment to their animal. People dress them up like they are their own babies/children. I think they need to leave their comfort fido at home or find an alternative vacation. Cruise lines need to crack down. What part of N_O don't people seem to understand. :rolleyes:

It's both.

I went into a Kroger once with Laura and Bella. We needed something on the way home from visiting friends. I held her in my arms the entire time.

A manager walked up to me at the checkout and said "Is that a companion dog?" I said yes and we left. Laura is still mad at me.

Ummm, part of the problem.... Why didn't one of you wait in the car with the dog??

I was at a grocery store a couple of days ago, and the outside temp was around 85. It was hot. I walked by a car with 2 girls getting out, and their dog jumped into the back seat looking out at them thru the rear window. I mentioned to them why are you leaving your dog in an enclosed car in this heat. They responded the car was on, the air conditioning was on, and it wasn't a problem.

I continued to walk off and thought to myself, why didn't you just leave your dog at home. :rolleyes:

I was at a grocery store a couple of days ago, and the outside temp was around 85. It was hot. I walked by a car with 2 girls getting out, and their dog jumped into the back seat looking out at them thru the rear window. I mentioned to them why are you leaving your dog in an enclosed car in this heat. They responded the car was on, the air conditioning was on, and it wasn't a problem.

I continued to walk off and thought to myself, why didn't you just leave your dog at home. :rolleyes:

A quick phone call to the local PD would have solved that. In most jurisdictions it is illegal to leave an unoccupied vehicle running. Let them try to explain to the officer that it's not a problem.

If only I could give 5 billion likes to this post. This. So many times this.

REAL service dogs are well trained and do not bark, except as necessary to alert their person. For example, I know a woman who has petit mal seizures and her dog barks twice to alert her when he senses a seizure coming on. When he barks two staccato barks, she knows she must sit down or lie down. (And anytime you see her out with her dog, he will be wearing a service vest to indicate he is working and not to be petted or otherwise messed with by dog lovers.) There are many reasons for a trained service dog to bark as a warning or an alert, but it would never be a prolonged period of barking unless the person died or had some kind of terrible accident. If I heard an alleged service dog barking on a ship, I'd assume the dog was working and call 911 and Security immediately to get emergency help to that person's cabin.

REAL service dogs do amazing things to assist their owners and enable people with disabilities and serious medical issues to be independent and more fully enjoy their lives, doing things such as cruising. Unfortunately even service dogs do have 'doggie needs' and, of course, they need a doggie bathroom area. I have no issue with this part, although I realize it creates a constant cleaning task for crew, and there may be times when I'm walking the track and I might smell fresh dog stuff in the bathroom box. A service dog has been taught the realities of doggie bathrooms, is well trained, and will use the proper place with a minimum of fuss. But not all dogs on ships are true service dogs, and not all respect the doggie bathroom area. (I suspect the ones that don't are the ones that aren't really service dogs. I have seen/smelled some dog stuff in other places on ships.:()

My objection is not to service dogs. I think service dogs are awesome. I spent many years during my career working with both professionals and clients who used service dogs. Many times I have driven my colleagues/clients with blindness and/or medical issues who used dogs and who could not drive to various meetings/conferences/public hearings we needed to go to, and the dog rode with us.

I am not really a dog person. I don't hate dogs, I just don't personally choose to be close to them. Some dogs make me sneeze when I'm around them, some have bad manners and jump up on me without my permission, some dogs scare/repulse me, and I think a lot of dogs smell bad and have bad breath, so it was not easy for me to welcome a dog of any kind into my vehicle. However I did, and there was never a problem. No service dog ever did anything wrong in my car. All behaved perfectly. I have great respect for service animals and I suspect some of them may be more intelligent than I am.:o

My objection is to the FAKE service animals. Oh wait...now that I pause to think about it...my objection is not really to the fake service animals, my objection is really to the obnoxious/oblivious/selfish people who lie to bring them aboard, forcing them into a foreign environment that the animal cannot handle. We now have one happy cruiser (Woo Hoo! I got to bring my purse dog!), one anxiety riddled purse dog (Gotta bark, gotta bark, gotta bark bark bark) and a bunch of unhappy cruisers who must endure the barking. So maybe I don't hate the purse dog, I hate the woman with the purse.:confused:

I've never had to endure a prolonged period of barking on a cruise. If I did, I would not call Guest Services. I would call 911 and Security and send Emergency Medical Services plus Security to the cabin where the barking was coming from. Repeatedly. Every time I heard the barking. As a retired professional who worked with people with disabilities, I know that REAL service dogs only bark continuously when there is an emergency.

And now you know it too....call 911 and Security, not Guest Services.;)

If a service dog is continuously barking, there must be a DREADFUL emergency...so wake 'em up and send 'em out.

Happy Cruising'....

Judy

OK. Fine with me. Charge everyone a refundable security deposit for damages. Whole ship. It's refundable; don't break things, no worry. It'll make people think twice.

And that would be the day I stop cruising with that line. I'm not going to pony up extra cash that the line gets to hold for higher power only knows how long without interest and take it's sweet time returning to me because they didn't want to risk being sued for the thoughtless entitled twits who can not bear to leave sweet fluffy and fido at home. Nor, is it fair to make those who have legitimate service animals pony up said cash either. In both cases, we're not likely to cause damage- yet would still be expected to pay 'just in case'.

I suspect that a company would not be able to charge this to those with legitimate service animals anyway because I do believe there are rules about that for hotels. Pet deposits I don't think are allowed to be charged to those with service animals but I could be wrong there as I don't have the info or thankfully the experience to say for sure.

Air conditioning - we have it even in the "far north".
That is not my experience visiting friends in CT, slightly south of you. Kinda that way in Europe also. We always check before booking now.

That is not my experience visiting friends in CT, slightly south of you. Kinda that way in Europe also. We always check before booking now.

Know what you mean. I grew up in CT and we had the old fashioned window units. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. We had the heat vents in the floor. Never knew what central air/heat was until moving to Florida.

The average cost for boarding a dog is $25 to $45 per day. Boarding for a week long cruise with an extra day for travel would cost a minimum of $200 per week at those rates. You can buy a vest on eBay or Etsy for just under $10. You could even throw in a couple of those "Service Dog -- Do Not Pet" patches for less than a single day's boarding cost.

The average cost for boarding a dog is $25 to $45 per day. Boarding for a week long cruise with an extra day for travel would cost a minimum of $200 per week at those rates. You can buy a vest on eBay or Etsy for just under $10. You could even throw in a couple of those "Service Dog -- Do Not Pet" patches for less than a single day's boarding cost.

But as soon as the dog begins barking, jumping on people, pulling at the leash, etc. I know, as well as others, not a trained service dog …

Ramona

Give you one thing, you're honest...