BOGOHO - A Cautionary Tale

Not all of the FCC needs to be used on the same cruise.

This may vary. My FCC states 'If credit is applied to a booking of lesser value, the difference will not be carried to another booking and it will considered as used'. As with all things RC, ymmv. Nice that they let you apply the remainder to an additional cruise but I wouldn't always expect it.

I don't think people are understanding why OP wants the credit reallocated. OP has a FCC that is probably not necessary for their share of a planned next cruise. If OP can cruise for around ~$1000 for their share, typically the FCC will not carry over. It would have been very nice for Royal to reallocate the FCC to be equal between the two friends but for some reason they are choosing not to.

Thanks to OP for posting this warning and maybe Royal will let you apply the anticipated 'leftover' credit to an additional cruise if you do not need it all for the first one. Your request was understandable and I'm sorry they said no. I might try one more time though ;)

Thanks. My friend is going to give it a try this time. Being the one who was shorted the FCC, she might be more convincing.

For some of you, I don't know who you cruise with that you'd be OK paying double what the person sharing your cabin pays, but whatever. Good for you for being so generous. We looked at the total cost of the cabin and split it evenly. Royal Caribbean's non-sale never-ending BOGOHO offers are just marketing ploys to make people think they are getting a good deal. The bottom line is all that matters.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The issue isn't whether the compensation is adequate or not but simply how the FCC is split. In my opinion the OP made a very reasonable request of RC in asking for the FCC to be split evenly and I would call RC out on the statement that they cannot split it otherwise. As far as a "Whale of a deal" that is certainly debatable given the time and expense involved in traveling to Australia but again that wasn't the complaint.

Exactly. Thank you. And yes, this vacation cost far more than simply cruise fare but that isn't the issue for this thread. Many of the other expenses would not have been incurred if not for the cruise, but it was our decision to continue with the vacation and try to salvage what we could. I didn't try to claim anything from insurance because no flights were changed and any additional costs were my decision. There was nothing to ask for. Besides, people on my FB roll call tried and were rebuffed by their insurance companies. Not one person posted that they'd been able to get reimbursed for anything from travel insurance. RCI covered flight change fees if they were needed. The sole reason for this thread was to make people aware of the screwy accounting practices involved with "sales".

Thanks. My friend is going to give it a try this time. Being the one who was shorted the FCC, she might be more convincing.

For some of you, I don't know who you cruise with that you'd be OK paying double what the person sharing your cabin pays, but whatever. Good for you for being so generous. We looked at the total cost of the cabin and split it evenly. Royal Caribbean's non-sale never-ending BOGOHO offers are just marketing ploys to make people think they are getting a good deal. The bottom line is all that matters.

Even when it's not a BOGOHO or one of its cousins, if there is a balcony discount, that balcony discount is deducted from only one passenger, which will result in the same inequity if an FCC is issued.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even when it's not a BOGOHO or one of its cousins, if there is a balcony discount, that balcony discount is deducted from only one passenger, which will result in the same inequity if an FCC is issued.

They changed that a while back. Now they split the balcony discount equally between the two guests. They figured out they could diminish the C&A benefit even more that way.

They changed that a while back. Now they split the balcony discount equally between the two guests. They figured out they could diminish the C&A benefit even more that way.

That's for sure. Our $150 balcony discount on the short cruises is getting us $75 savings on the ones I have looked at recently Better than nothing but not as good as the full amount:halo:

Has anyone seen/considered that the OP paid $400 LESS than he/she should have in the beginning? His/her cruise was $1600. He/she PAID $1,200. I'm using the OP's example numbers.

The 'friend's' cruise cost $800 and the friend paid $1,200. $400 more.

^^ THIS

the OP GAVE the friend a $400 'gift' by splitting the fare evenly. she was under no obligation to do this.

then when the cruise was cancelled , they got ALL of their money back in total

then they both got FCC and the OP gave the friend $400 more to make the FCC credit even.

so the OP gave the friend a $400 'gift' twice.

^^ THIS

the OP GAVE the friend a $400 'gift' by splitting the fare evenly. she was under no obligation to do this.

then they both got FCC and the OP gave the friend $400 more to make the FCC credit even.

Really , so what would you do if you cruised with a friend...draw straws or play rock, paper scissors to see who paid the higher fare. It wasn’t a gift, it’s Royals screwed up system.

^^ THIS

N/m

Because I am out $400 cash. Like I already said, I could have found a cruise for $1100. Sure I get to find a cruise for $1500, but it cost me $400 to do that. I'd have been perfectly happy with just $1100 to use.

Let me get this right.

Your cruise was cancelled 3 days out(which sucks balls majorly) and they issued you a full refund to your CC.

In ADDITION they offered Future Cruise Credit of 1500 to you and 700 to your friend of FREE money towards cruising. Basicly you got 200% of your cruise fare back minus the tax on that 2nd 100% in FCC. And you are complaining that in order to make your friend whole you have to give them 400$ cash? I get that it would be easier for you to send some of your FCC over to him but you can't. But getting 1500$ free cruise cash I would not be upset at all handing over the cash, and most likely on your next cruise you can either take it solo without coming out of pocket a dime or even have the next room you split with someone perhaps level it out and get your 400 that way. Dude, you are getting an entirely free cruise, that is not something to complain about! Glass 1/2 full

Let me get this right.

Your cruise was cancelled 3 days out(which sucks balls majorly) and they issued you a full refund to your CC.

In ADDITION they offered Future Cruise Credit of 1500 to you and 700 to your friend of FREE money towards cruising. Basicly you got 200% of your cruise fare back minus the tax on that 2nd 100% in FCC. And you are complaining that in order to make your friend whole you have to give them 400$ cash? I get that it would be easier for you to send some of your FCC over to him but you can't. But getting 1500$ free cruise cash I would not be upset at all handing over the cash, and most likely on your next cruise you can either take it solo without coming out of pocket a dime or even have the next room you split with someone perhaps level it out and get your 400 that way. Dude, you are getting an entirely free cruise, that is not something to complain about! Glass 1/2 full

Level it out? The fcc can only be used for the designated person. Not entirely free as they paid friend $400 because of RCs stupid pricing games.

Let me get this right.

They didn't get 200% back.

Because I am out $400 cash. Like I already said, I could have found a cruise for $1100. Sure I get to find a cruise for $1500, but it cost me $400 to do that. I'd have been perfectly happy with just $1100 to use.

No.

You got 1200 credit. You pay your friend $400, you are still $800 ahead.

You book a $1200 cruise, you are good to go.

But if RCI split the refund, you would have an $800 credit. And if you booked a $1200 cruise, you WOULD STILL HAVE TO PAY OUT $400.

Simple arithmetic.

Yeah, in a perfect world, it would be split equal, but unless op ends up booking a 1500 cruise, it is not really right to have to Shell out another 400.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

HE IS NOT SHELLING OUT ANY EXTRA.

He has $1200 credit. He pays his friend $400 to equal the refunds. So each has $800 back.

He books a $1500 cruise, he pays $700.

If RCI split the refund, he would have an $800 refund, and that $1500 cruise will still cost him $700.

He has $1200 credit. He pays his friend $400 to equal the refunds. So each has $800 back.

If RCI split the refund, he would have an $800 refund, and that $1500 cruise will still cost him $700.

If she sends her friend 400, it is shelling out more, as she said she will probably not spend 1500 in the next cruise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Until, and unless, OP books a cruise the credit is "worthless", but it appears they feel an obligation to pay the friend the $400 NOW to be "even", so they are technically out the $400 until, and unless, they book an RCI cruise and get the benefit of that money.

I just had 3 FCC's issued to me on Thursday. 3 people in my family. Each FCC is a different amount. Won't cause the same problem as OP because we can book together in future, but I understand OP completely and also wish RCI had just given me 3 equal FCC's and not 3 different amounts.

I agree and maybe that's why as I posted above that they should just forget about the FCC. A free FCC will wind up costing $$$$ to use anyway. Onboard charges. Taxes. Port. Hotel. Transport

That free FCC ain't free at all

Just take the cash refund for the cancelled cruise and be done with it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree - both just accept the cash refunded. Future anything cruise or airline refund does cost you in the end - you have spend extra money to use the"discount". Another good reason to never travel with anyone other then spouse or partner.

No.

You got 1200 credit. You pay your friend $400, you are still $800 ahead.

You book a $1200 cruise, you are good to go.

But if RCI split the refund, you would have an $800 credit. And if you booked a $1200 cruise, you WOULD STILL HAVE TO PAY OUT $400.

Simple arithmetic.

Well, from what I read from the OP, she got a refund of $1,200. That's the amount she charged to her credit card. Her friend got a refund of $1,200. That's what the friend charged to her credit card.

OP's cruise cost was $1,600. (But remember, OP ONLY paid $1,200 for a $1,600 cruise .... $400 LESS than she should have paid).

OP received a FCC of $1,500 (cruise amount LESS taxes & fees).

Friend's cruise cost $800 and friend PAID $1,200. $400 MORE than the actual cost of her cruise.

Friend's FCC was $700 ($800 cruise cost LESS taxes & fees).

Friend is owed the $400 from the OP to make it right. 2nd person had overpaid to begin with.

It is NOT Royal's job to figure out and accommodate people's messed up splitting of costs.

Well, from what I read from the OP, she got a refund of $1,200. That's the amount she charged to her credit card. Her friend got a refund of $1,200. That's what the friend charged to her credit card.

OP's cruise cost was $1,600. (But remember, OP ONLY paid $1,200 for a $1,600 cruise .... $400 LESS than she should have paid).

OP received a FCC of $1,500 (cruise amount LESS taxes & fees).

Friend's cruise cost $800 and friend PAID $1,200. $400 MORE than the actual cost of her cruise.

Friend's FCC was $700 ($800 cruise cost LESS taxes & fees).

Friend is owed the $400 from the OP to make it right. 2nd person had overpaid to begin with.

It is NOT Royal's job to figure out and accommodate people's messed up splitting of costs.

No.

Example (rounding used for simplicity): My friend and I booked a cabin where the booking paperwork showed my fare as $1600, and my friend's as $800, for a total of $2,400. We're two single friends traveling together and split the total cost of the cabin, so we each actually paid $1,200.

Total was $2400, they each paid $1200.

OP got back $1600, friend got back $800.

If OP gives the friend $400, they are even for what they paid out.

It does not cost the OP $400. The OP got $400 more back than they paid.

If the OP books a cruise at say $2000. They pay $800. Whether RCI refunds $1200 to each, or $1600 to OP who pays friend $400.

No.

[/font][/color]

Total was $2400, they each paid $1200.

OP got back $1600, friend got back $800.

If OP gives the friend $400, they are even for what they paid out.

It does not cost the OP $400. The OP got $400 more back than they paid.

If the OP books a cruise at say $2000. They pay $800. Whether RCI refunds $1200 to each, or $1600 to OP who pays friend $400.

We're two single friends traveling together and split the total cost of the cabin, so we each actually paid $1,200.

Three days before the cruise, Royal Caribbean canceled it, refunding all our money paid and giving us a future cruise credit (FCC) equal to the paid fare, less taxes and fees.

We chose to split the cost right down the middle, and each charged that amount to our respective credit cards

In Ops own words, they EACH got a REFUND of $1,200 to EACH of their credit cards. In ADDITION, they EACH got a FCC in the ACTUAL amount of EACH person's cruise cost.

SO YES ... OP paid $1,200 for a $1,600 cruise. THAT is a $400 discount for the OP.

Friend paid $1,200 for an $800 actual cost of her cruise. THAT is a $400 over payment.