Just signed up for Royal Princess!

Cruising Forever!

Okay, after decades of cruising almost exclusively on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, my wife and I are going to give Princess a try! We still love Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but we decided it would be nice to check out some other popular cruise lines. Several videos touring the Royal Princess won us over.

We are curious to see how our Princess experience will compare to our Royal/Celebrity cruises. We are very excited about booking a mini suite (I think this is roughly equivalent to Royal Caribbean’s Junior Suite- we did that once and loved it).

Our cruise is next year, so lots of time to collect thoughts and advice from you Princess fans!

(I’m already impressed that the Princess website lets me control many aspects of our cruise!)

Cheers, Paul

Enjoy! My only suggestion is to take this cruise for what it is, don't be constantly comparing it to other lines. In my experience, each line has something that is the best and something that is less wonderful than on other lines. And each cruise is different regardless of the line.

Okay, after decades of cruising almost exclusively on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, my wife and I are going to give Princess a try! We still love Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but we decided it would be nice to check out some other popular cruise lines. Several videos touring the Royal Princess won us over.

We are curious to see how our Princess experience will compare to our Royal/Celebrity cruises. We are very excited about booking a mini suite (I think this is roughly equivalent to Royal Caribbean’s Junior Suite- we did that once and loved it).

Our cruise is next year, so lots of time to collect thoughts and advice from you Princess fans!

(I’m already impressed that the Princess website lets me control many aspects of our cruise!)

Cheers, Paul

Paul,

Welcome aboard.

I had a Junior Suite on RCCL and it was larger than our MiniSuites on Princess. After saying that, I have mostly sailed in Minisuites on Princess and they are comfortable.

I hope you enjoy your Princess cruise! There are definitely differences and each line has their own strengths!

I just booked us for our second cruise on the Royal Princess. When the ship first came out, I thought it was too big. I said the same thing about the Caribbean Princess when it came out.

We had a great time in December on the Royal. We also sailed on the Regal, which improved the Promenade Deck a little bit but not a lot by allowing passengers to walk outside between the patio areas. I still managed to get my 10,000+ steps every day.

But itinerary and price won out for us.

Welcome to the Princess family. As others have stated, the Royal Princess is a lovely ship and while there isn't a full Promenade Deck for walking, there are some private areas on that deck for sitting out. Wait until you see the buffet area!! It is quite large with many sections to navigate through. Our advice is to grab a plate and walk the areas and check out all the different cuisines before loading the plate.

Have a great voyage and come back refreshed.

Some of the things we really enjoy on the Royal Princess are the framed passenger photographs lining the hallways on the cabin decks, International Cafe open 24/7 (like we really need more food :D), Vines wine bar which is also a great place to hang out during the day and read, and Movies Under the Stars on the upper deck. The cabin configuration with the closet creating a private dressing area is also a nice feature, as are the public launderettes. Then there are Trivia games, and the yummy crunchy hard rolls at dinner. Ack - back to food comments! Have a lovely time anticipating your cruise.

Some of the things we really enjoy on the Royal Princess are the framed passenger photographs lining the hallways on the cabin decks, International Cafe open 24/7 (like we really need more food :D), Vines wine bar which is also a great place to hang out during the day and read, and Movies Under the Stars on the upper deck. The cabin configuration with the closet creating a private dressing area is also a nice feature, as are the public launderettes. Then there are Trivia games, and the yummy crunchy hard rolls at dinner. Ack - back to food comments! Have a lovely time anticipating your cruise.

I agree with everything. Make sure that you do check out the whole buffet before eating like another poster said. The buffet goes from mid ship elevators to the aft elevators. When you walk in from mid ship both side have different food. I love the grill food on the one side (I think it is port side).

Cheers, Paul

We've sailed extensively on Princess as well as Celebrity and a few on RCCL. We're also trying out the Royal Princess for the first time next year ... we are so excited about her coming over to the west coast, albeit, for way too short of a time. But, we're grabbing onto the deal for while she is here with us.

You will probably find the food is better on Princess than on RCCL ... seems to be the consensus from my friends that travel on both lines.

I believe the junior suites on RCCL give you all the benefits of a full suite, whereas you shouldn't be disappointed to find that unless you are booked in a Club Class cabin, the perks of getting a mini-suite on Princess only include a larger stateroom. No real suite perks for a mini-suite other than a glass of champagne when boarding. The extra room is really nice, though.

Enjoy your experience on Princess .... be sure to check back and tell us how you like it.

My favorite thing on the Royal is Alfredo's, the free pizza place in the atrium. It has a menu that includes two of the best dishes on the ship--a vegetarian antipasto and a veal agnolotti. The pizzas are also very good. I can eat a whole one by myself if I don't order both of the aforementioned dishes.

You're going to love Royal. We haven't sailed on Celebrity, but are D+ with RCCL. I love the Princess brand, and wish we would've stuck with her to obtain loyalty. She's a beautiful ship, and you won't be disappointed.

The Horizon Court (their Windjammer) is hands down the best. Tons of options. Don't pass up the outdoor grill, pizza, etc., it's one of my favorite things about Princess. Don't miss the SeaWalk on Deck 16. MUTS is another thing not to be missed, Princess knows what they're doing when it comes to this. And yes, mini suites are smaller than JS, but I'd be more concerned what deck my mini suite was on, cause I don't wanna be all exposed by cabins above me. Princess ships are funny that way, haha.

Hi everyone, just realized that the cruise we are taking on Oct. 5th leaves out of a Canadian port and the last time we left out of a foreign port was before we had to take any medication. When I tried to look up how to bring the meds all it said was original bottles. I get my meds in 6 month quantities at a time. If I bring those bottles I will need a separate carry on just for those. lol. Any suggestions? We board the ship in Quebec City. We fly out of Detroit, which I know isn't a problem. Since I have a Dr's appoint in Aug. and then he leaves I would like some ideas. Thanks.

Edited by SuzanneMM
double word

Hi everyone, just realized that the cruise we are taking on Oct. 5th leaves out of a Canadian port and the last time we left out of a foreign port was before we had to take any medication. When I tried to look up how to bring the meds all it said was original bottles. I get my meds in 6 month quantities at a time. If I bring those bottles I will need a separate carry on just for those. lol. Any suggestions? We board the ship in Quebec City. We fly out of Detroit, which I know isn't a problem. Since I have a Dr's appoint in Aug. and then he leaves I would like some ideas. Thanks.

I would suggest checking with your pharmacy. If you ask, they might provide you with small, printed, labeled bottles for you to take the medicine in.