Disappointing Notification About Eurodam May 7th

ceilidh1

I am taking my first HAL cruise on May 7th, just to see if the line is something we would enjoy. It's only a 1 night from Vancouver to Seattle on Eurodam, but really want to check out the ship and see how it compares to Princess. I just received this notification:

Please be advised that for operational reasons Eurodam's arrival into Vancouver

on May 7, 2018 will be delayed. Consequently, embarkation for our May 7 sailing

will begin at 5:00pm, with departure shortly thereafter. Guests are welcome to

drop off their luggage any time after 10:00am and enjoy downtown Vancouver.

An onboard credit of $15 per person will be posted to your shipboard account to

offset the cost of lunch shore-side. We apologize for any inconvenience and

look forward to welcoming you on board.

I now things can't be avoided sometimes, but considering this is only one night it has really turned into a waste of time...

Yes, it does appear to be a waste of time. You will only be onboard for a total of 14 hours. You shouldn't even unpack your luggage. You will only see the main dining room for dinner, and then breakfast. Or room service breakfast. Then your off the ship. There's no way to get a real impression of any ship in 14 hours with 7 or 8 of those hours spent sleeping. A 3-day cruise would be the minimum to get a real feeling for a ship.

I am taking my first HAL cruise on May 7th, just to see if the line is something we would enjoy. It's only a 1 night from Vancouver to Seattle on Eurodam, but really want to check out the ship and see how it compares to Princess. I just received this notification:

Just my opinion, but I don't feel that you really can form a reasoned judgment of a cruise line based on a short-segment cruise. I've experienced quite a few of them, but only as part of longer cruises, such as Panama Canal repositioning ...and I hate the short-segment portions. The demographic and general ambience of the short-segment cruises is VERY different from the "regular" cruises. Again, that's just my opinion.

I'm sorry that Eurodam's problems, whatever they may be, have impacted your first cruise with HAL.

Just my opinion, but I don't feel that you really can form a reasoned judgment of a cruise line based on a short-segment cruise. I've experienced quite a few of them, but only as part of longer cruises, such as Panama Canal repositioning ...and I hate the short-segment portions. The demographic and general ambience of the short-segment cruises is VERY different from the "regular" cruises. Again, that's just my opinion.

I'm sorry that Eurodam's problems, whatever they may be, have impacted your first cruise with HAL.

Totally agree. This is not the basis for making a reasonable judgement of HAL.

The demographic and general ambience of the short-segment cruises is VERY different from the "regular" cruises. Again, that's just my opinion.

Totally agree. We have been on two of these as part of longer cruises and have noticed the same thing on both ... A lot of groups of girls (5, 6 or more ...) out for a girls' night out and a lot of older men taking their much younger nieces on a cruise :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry for your disappointment but, mosgt of us adults, KNOW ''stuff' happens I hope this is the worst disappoinment you ever suffer Enjoy the time you will have aboard. I think Eurodam a wonderful ship.

That's such a total bummer! I like doing the 1-day cruises to walk around and explore the ship. Did this most recently on the Amsterdam and it was a great opportunity for our friends to see what a HAL ship is all about.

On the flip side, I am on the 2-day cruise from San Francisco beforehand and I feel like I've just gotten an extra day of cruising as our arrival has been pushed back from 11am to 2:30pm. I can sleep in now and have an extra afternoon onboard.

I wonder why they've had to make the change? Wonder if there's something wrong with an engine and they have to go slower.

That's such a total bummer! I like doing the 1-day cruises to walk around and explore the ship. Did this most recently on the Amsterdam and it was a great opportunity for our friends to see what a HAL ship is all about.

On the flip side, I am on the 2-day cruise from San Francisco beforehand and I feel like I've just gotten an extra day of cruising as our arrival has been pushed back from 11am to 2:30pm. I can sleep in now and have an extra afternoon onboard.

I wonder why they've had to make the change? Wonder if there's something wrong with an engine and they have to go slower.

I wonder if they are leaving San Francisco later?

Maybe I should rephrase....it's not really to make a judgement of HAL (I'm sure the line itself isn't THAT different to Princess), it was more to check out the ship as we are thinking of booking it later this year. Travelling with kids, the kids clubs are a big factor in deciding which ships to book (or not) so I was hoping this 1 nighter would allow us to get a feel for the ship and the kid program to help us decide. That is really the sole purpose of booking - but I am guessing the kid club may not even be open if we don't board until 5pm....

The cruise is NOT cancelled.

they will have the opportunity to walk all around and explore the ship.

Once aboard, you may or may not learn the reason f or the delay.

Edited by sail7seas

I am booked on a two night cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver on May 5, 2018. Original departure time from S.F. was 5:00 and has been changed to 4:00 p.m. Original arrival time at Vancouver on May 7 was 11:00 a.m. and it has been changed to 2:30 p.m. It was fortunate our flights out of Vancouver were at 7:15p.m., however passengers with earlier flights have to make changes. Holland America is going to reimburse any flight change fees that passengers now have to pay. I also feel there is an engine problem and they have to cruise at a lower speed which does not make me comfortable. Only information I can get is it is an operational change.

I wonder if they are leaving San Francisco later?

Actually, she's leaving SF an hour earlier. Makes me wonder if there's an issue with her propulsion.

I got an email a few hours ago. Our 6 PM departure was moved up to 4:00 (all-aboard at 3) and our arrival which had been scheduled for 11 AM is now 2:30 PM - and they recommend not scheduling a flight before 6:30.

They also mentioned that fee reimbursement forms would be available. Does anyone know anything about this? (We're doing independent travel and incurred over $300 in change fees)

As to the question of whether one can judge a line by a short cruise, I think we can all agree that in and of itself, it would be highly misleading, but to see the ship and amenities and get a sense of the line's atmosphere (especially if one is very familiar with cruises and knows what to look for and what the limitations of a short trip are). But, a truncated one-nighter?? Bummer!

I was already planning on doing an extra tip for our room steward because of the demands of back-to-back-to-back short cruises - and with a shorter window in Vancouver (and likely cranky passengers) I REALLY feel sorry for him.

Actually, she's leaving SF an hour earlier. Makes me wonder if there's an issue with her propulsion.

I got an email a few hours ago. Our 6 PM departure was moved up to 4:00 (all-aboard at 3) and our arrival which had been scheduled for 11 AM is now 2:30 PM - and they recommend not scheduling a flight before 6:30.

They also mentioned that fee reimbursement forms would be available. Does anyone know anything about this? (We're doing independent travel and incurred over $300 in change fees)

As to the question of whether one can judge a line by a short cruise, I think we can all agree that in and of itself, it would be highly misleading, but to see the ship and amenities and get a sense of the line's atmosphere (especially if one is very familiar with cruises and knows what to look for and what the limitations of a short trip are). But, a truncated one-nighter?? Bummer!

I was already planning on doing an extra tip for our room steward because of the demands of back-to-back-to-back short cruises - and with a shorter window in Vancouver (and likely cranky passengers) I REALLY feel sorry for him.

Note:

HAL has many male a cabin sewards but also has some female cabin sewards. :)

Often these one or two night cruises are 'booze cruises' which, of course, makes for a n atmosphere which may not be the usual or norm on that ship or cruise line.

Maybe I should rephrase....it's not really to make a judgement of HAL (I'm sure the line itself isn't THAT different to Princess), it was more to check out the ship as we are thinking of booking it later this year. Travelling with kids, the kids clubs are a big factor in deciding which ships to book (or not) so I was hoping this 1 nighter would allow us to get a feel for the ship and the kid program to help us decide. That is really the sole purpose of booking - but I am guessing the kid club may not even be open if we don't board until 5pm....

In my opinion HAL's strength is not their kids programs. It can vary from cruise to cruise but HAL typically doesn't have that many kids onboard when compared to other lines (Princess, RCL, Carnival).

There's a good chance that it won't be. At best it would be winding down and you might be able to talk to someone on the staff.

On the flip side, I am on the 2-day cruise from San Francisco beforehand and I feel like I've just gotten an extra day of cruising as our arrival has been pushed back from 11am to 2:30pm. I can sleep in now and have an extra afternoon onboard..

Prepare yourself for a real disappointment. What you intend to do is a violation of the PVSA. You cannot go from San Francisco to Seattle without a stop in a DISTANT port. Vancouver is not one of those. HAL will inform you of this or worse, deboard you in Vancouver without notice. :eek:

Edited by retafcruiser

In my opinion HAL's strength is not their kids programs. It can vary from cruise to cruise but HAL typically doesn't have that many kids onboard when compared to other lines (Princess, RCL, Carnival).

This is why I was hoping to check it out on a 1 night cruise rather than committing to a longer one.....

We don't disagree often, but on this post I have to.

HAL's children's/teens programs are some of the best kept secrets of the ships.

My sister sailed the Eurodam a few years ago and was amazed by their program and declared it superior to those named. She had to drag them out of the club. ;)

1of4 has given the same reports and I have had the pleasure to see her children on board when they are "out and about". All the faces were glowing and they were having a blast.

Even on the P'dam which does not have an official HAL club for children, they had counsellors that took care of the few that were on board. The good time was evident in both the children's faces and the counsellors.

I've seen it first hand and I take my sister's and 1of4's second hand reports (when I wasn't on board with her) to heart . I know how important their children are to them ;)

Kazu,

I may stand corrected! I just know on the cruises we take there are not many children so I could not imagine it was a positive experience. When I think about what other lines offer in this regard I am surprised to hear it was a super positive experience.

Kazu,

I may stand corrected! I just know on the cruises we take there are not many children so I could not imagine it was a positive experience. When I think about what other lines offer in this regard I am surprised to hear it was a super positive experience.

No worries Kirk.

You don't see the children because they are at Club HAL or the Loft.

and even if there are few, they give them the same treatment - perhaps, even more special ;)

I just go by what I saw on the P'dam and Westerdam and the reports I have had. HAL was my sister's favourite ship because of their excellent programmes.

She had sailed on all your named lines along with MSC.

Everyone's experience may be different of course, but the ones participating I saw were VERY happy and having fun :D

Sorry for your disappointment but, mosgt of us adults, KNOW ''stuff' happens I hope this is the worst disappoinment you ever suffer Enjoy the time you will have aboard. I think Eurodam a wonderful ship.

I think the OP knows stuff happens from time to time. But that doesn't mean he/she isn't disappointed, nevertheless. It seems a little harsh to say "I hope this is the worst disappointment you ever suffer" as none of us know what the OP has dealt with in the past. A little "Sorry this didn't work out the way you hoped!" would have been so much nicer!

We, too, love Eurodam ....... I hope the OP books a longer cruise in the near future ...... It should be a great experience on a great ship!

Prepare yourself for a real disappointment. What you intend to do is a violation of the PVSA. You cannot go from San Francisco to Seattle without a stop in a DISTANT port. Vancouver is not one of those. HAL will inform you of this or worse, deboard you in Vancouver without notice. :eek:

I did the 1 day cruise on the Amsterdam, am not doing it on the Eurodam; just doing the SF to Vancouver leg. I’m well aware of the PVSA.