Hal worries!

ArtyChoke

Hello everyone!

My husband and I booked our first cruise together this upcoming October to the Eastern Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

Not only are we nervous about going on a cruise but with me reading up on Holland America Line I'm not sure if it would be the best fit for us solely due the the fact of our age. We are both in our mid twenties.

A close friend of ours suggested the cruise line to us and it should fit us well because of the quality of the ship. Also the amount of entertainment that has to do with music was definitely a selling point to us because not only have I studied music for as long as I can remember and play over 8 instruments alone. I was definitely interested to see what they had to offer in terms of live music. Our friend also told my husband that the food on HAL although not as many options is wonderful due to the quality that they put into it and that they also have a culinary arts center you can participate in. With this information as well as knowing that most ships have art galleries that you can view, we believed we were sold.

My husband and I would never consider ourselves in the demographic that most people our age would want to be in. We are not big into the club and party scene, and we do enjoy having something that is quality over having an abundance of options but did we narrow our options too much?

Please give me feedback on what to expect on HAL, and if you have any experience with what we may be feeling in regards to our recent booking. First time cruising is a little daunting and I do have a tendancy to over think.

Thank you so much everyone!

Hello everyone!

My husband and I booked our first cruise together this upcoming October to the Eastern Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

Not only are we nervous about going on a cruise but with me reading up on Holland America Line I'm not sure if it would be the best fit for us solely due the the fact of our age. We are both in our mid twenties.

A close friend of ours suggested the cruise line to us and it should fit us well because of the quality of the ship. Also the amount of entertainment that has to do with music was definitely a selling point to us because not only have I studied music for as long as I can remember and play over 8 instruments alone. I was definitely interested to see what they had to offer in terms of live music. Our friend also told my husband that the food on HAL although not as many options is wonderful due to the quality that they put into it and that they also have a culinary arts center you can participate in. With this information as well as knowing that most ships have art galleries that you can view, we believed we were sold.

My husband and I would never consider ourselves in the demographic that most people our age would want to be in. We are not big into the club and party scene, and we do enjoy having something that is quality over having an abundance of options but did we narrow our options too much?

Please give me feedback on what to expect on HAL, and if you have any experience with what we may be feeling in regards to our recent booking. First time cruising is a little daunting and I do have a tendancy to over think.

This is only a seven day cruise. You will survive. Testing resiliency to what you perceive as potential adversity (OMG trapped on a ship with old people!!!!!!) is alway a good life preparation exercise. My guess is you will enjoy this cruise very much. You picked a beautiful ship with lots of options and I suppose also a very good itinerary. The better question might be, will HAL survive you freaking out and over-thinking everything as you admit you can do.

Based on the profile you provide, solely comparing between something on a larger Royal Caribbean ship (say Allure or Harmony of the Seas) and the Nieuw Amsterdam, I think you will enjoy Holland America, especially as it is 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise with 4 ports which I assume will include Half Moon Cay and others. Have fun!

Assuming you aren't afraid of cruising with older passengers, you could learn a lot by chatting with them. So many people we've met on HAL are experienced travelers with great life experience behind (and ahead!) of them.

As for music, I don't know what instruments you've studied, but the NA has two very different groups on board. The BB King groups are reported to be good musicians. They are VERY loud, so regrettably, we don't attend their shows unless they play in the large showroom, with a space that handles their sound well. They don't play only blues, but when they do play blues, it's great.

If you like classical music, then you're in luck because the NA has "Lincoln Center Stage," a classical quintet (piano, cello, viola, 2 violins). The musicians are supposedly vetted by Julliard. The group we had on Koningsdam this winter were amazing. I had the good fortune to meet the mother of one of the players on a snorkel trip, and she said her son was so pleased to be able to get a job as a classical musician--during his years of study, he would worry that classical might be on its way out. I loved listening and watching--these young musicians had such joy in their music and clearly loved playing together. Not all serious "old" classical. They did some movie music one time. Another evening was all American composers--Gershwin, Copeland, Bernstein. They played the overture/opening from West Side Story, complete with the finger snaps.

I won't comment of food as that's even more subjective than music. I'll just say that we're quite happy with HAL's food and the service in the dining room has always been excellent.

Not one of your questions, but if you like spas, check that out when you board. It's an extra charge, but the hydropool and other features of the "thermal suite" are wonderful.

I am in my mid thirties and prefer HAL to other lines that cater to a younger demographic. I also did the Eastern Caribbean seven day in December and had a fantastic time. Assuming you disembark for each port, you aren't on the ship for an abundance of time anyway.

While on the ship you can expect better music & food than other mass market lines in my experience. You can also expect less hustle & bustle and an overall more relaxing and quiet experience.

My days on board were filled with the thermal spa, lounging poolside, enjoying sunsets, attending lectures, going to trivia, enjoying the cooking demos, and time in my cabin/balcony. My nights would be dinner, entertainment, bed. I am not a party or dancer/club person.

That said, I am a night owl and the ship pretty much shuts down after 10pm. They open the lido for late night and there are a few bars open still... but nothing much else. Which worked for me. I would usually just order room service (no charge) if hungry or I would take to my balcony or the top deck to do some star gazing if the weather was nice.

I don't think you should be worried. You seem to know what you like, and I think you will find it on HAL.

What you *may* miss is the mega ship feel. You wont find a rock wall, or a waterslide. No zip lines or huge shopping malls inside. No real courtyard/giant atrium. Limited poolside "entertainment" (Though, I never found the belly flop contests on carnival entertaining... more annoying).

You also will find people your age, just not many, but you will probably be more like-minded since you all choose to sail with HAL over other options. I chose more adventurous excursions thru the ship and they were filled with younger people. If you are looking to be more social in your age range.

I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect.

This is only a seven day cruise. You will survive. Testing resiliency to what you perceive as potential adversity (OMG trapped on a ship with old people!!!!!!) is alway a good life preparation exercise. My guess is you will enjoy this cruise very much. You picked a beautiful ship with lots of options and I suppose also a very good itinerary. The better question might be, will HAL survive you freaking out and over-thinking everything as you admit you can do.

I've just read so many other threads where people were disappointed in regards to the amount that there was to do since the Line is centered to those who have a more life experience than I. Running out of things to do seems to be a bit of concern for us but with four ports and only a couple days at sea, it looks like I may not have a problem.

Congrats on booking your first cruise! It can be daunting the first time, but trust me it does get easier. HAL is a terrific cruiseline, which my DH and I love. The ship you have chosen in very highly regarded and some even think she's the best in the fleet.

As far as food is concerned, it is very subjective. However, food on HAL is as good as any cruiseline (exceptions of course for the luxury lines) and better than some and you do get some excellent choices in the MDR and in the buffet. HAL's specialty restaurants are also very good, so you might want to research these options. HAL does excel in their service....top-notch!

Entertainment is not HAL's strong point. Yes, there are the production shows, which may or may not suit you. There are other lounges and musical venues that provide a variety of music options. BB King Band is terrific!

Yes, you will be mostly cruising with people older than you, but we tend to be young in spirit! If you don't enjoy the party scene, then HAL will be a good fit. My advice is to just go with an open mind and relax. You'll be visiting some beautiful ports, enjoying some nice meals and being able to sail on such a wonderful ship! Enjoy your cruise!

I've just read so many other threads where people were disappointed in regards to the amount that there was to do since the Line is centered to those who have a more life experience than I. Running out of things to do seems to be a bit of concern for us but with four ports and only a couple days at sea, it looks like I may not have a problem.

One can observe two types of cruise ship passengers in very general terms - those who cruise to travel and see new ports and those who enjoy the onboard entertainment. Many also fall somewhere in between. HAL ships work best for those who like to travel and visit the ports, and are more self-contained during the time onboard the ship itself - content with being lazy, reading, people watching, snoozing in the sun, watching the sea. Thank goodness there is still a cruise line that offers these more quiet diversions.

Others (those who often report they are "disappointed" with HAL) prefer more intense onboard activity, constant diversions available, scheduled activities and first class entertainment production shows. That is not HAL's strong point.

Many may not even think about this ahead of time when taking their first cruise, but learn quickly what works for them best and then makes their next cruise choices accordingly with a little more experience under their belt. HAL may not work for you, but it will not be the worst experience in your entire life either.

However, you yourself can make it the worst experience in you life depending on how you go into this. That is an inside job and something you will need to work out ahead of time. We all face these same lessons, no matter how old we get. I only recently needed to let go of all the frustrations now built into the flight experiences, just to get to the port.

Don't worry about running out of things to do. You may find that you do not have to be occupied every minute. Slow down, relax, gaze at the sea--it can be mezmerizing.

Check HAL's tour offers, or look at the port of call boards to look for things to do in port. If you want active tours, there's plenty of watersports in the Caribbean. If you've never snorkeled, try it. The tour at Half Moon Cay is particularly good. Good equipment and guides who are helpful if you need instruction.

First off, ArtyChoke, I like your name. Cute.

Now then, look at it this way, this is your first cruise so you have nothing to compare it to. It's a starting point. I expect this will be akin to never having been off the farm and visiting New York City for the first time! It's all so new, big and bright. The cruise will be what you make it. You can't let little problems turn into major issues, in other words, go with the flow. Nothing is perfect all the time, but as experienced cruisers have learned, the good far out weights the bad.

You may develop a love of this vacation style, or then again, it may not be for you.

I do hope you'll come back and let us know how it all worked out for you.

We cruised HAL the first time in 1998. We were early 40s at the time and celebrating our 25th. We had a wonderful time doing NOTHING. One day we never even got dressed.[emoji33][emoji33]. We had a bunch of room service. Watched a couple of movies. Napped on the balcony. It was fantastic. We decided we were too lazy for a cruise and didn’t go again until 2015.

It REALLY is what YOU make it . We had a table for two that first time and just enjoyed being together without distractions. I am an avid reader so it’s pretty hard to bore me. If you are very active and seek to fill every minute, you can do that too. Something is going on most of the time somewhere on the ship. We were in our 60s now and still cruise to have fun together. We usually have a table for two and have had some nice conversations with folks in the various bars but haven’t made those connections others seem to. We’re not looking to make friends, although I know long close friendships do occur . My BFF made friends with an Australian couple on their first cruise and have hosted them in their home here and have been hosted by them in their home . Probably 20 yr age difference in those couples. Some old people are pretty cool and most are interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Relax, it'll be a great trip! While HAL may not have the equivalent of every last on-board event offered on other lines, you'll have plenty of options for things to do. Try some new things, it's not like my wife and I cruise for the on-board activities or for socializing with strangers but we've met and enjoyed folks on our cruises. Even if the age demographic stereotype presented by HAL isn't yours, remember everyone on the ship is there for the same cruise in the same spot of the world. Once off the ship, head for younger activities. Be sure to snorkel if you never have. Don't wait like I did to find out you love it.

Thank you so much for all your replies everyone!

Hearing everyone's experiences and stories has really put my mind at ease!

I can't wait to see how everything turns out and all of your advice will come in handy!

Thank you so much for all your replies everyone!

Hearing everyone's experiences and stories has really put my mind at ease!

I can't wait to see how everything turns out and all of your advice will come in handy!

Nothing will be so bad that a freshly made powder-sugar donut at the Lido every morning can't cure.

ArtyChoke, since HAL was recommended by a friend who knows you well, it will probably be a good fit. As was mentioned, you've selected a beautiful ship and most of your time will be in ports, so you'll be plenty busy.

The only thing I'd add is that it can't be denied that HAL does attract a lot of older cruisers. (Although not all, by any means.) I don't know what you have arranged for dining, fixed or open seating, but in either case, don't be shy about asking for a table for two if you want that. I think that in my twenties I probably would have rather had romantic dinners, rather than listen to lots of travel stories from older, well-traveled people. But that's just me.

We started cruising in our mid-thirties. I'm sixty now. We've sailed on a whole lot of cruise lines, and each one has pros and cons. HAL became an early favorite and remains a favorite.

Have a great time!

When DH and I were in our early thirties our first trip was on QE2. We were definitely on the lower age end of the demographic but we loved the ballroom dancing, afternoon tea with harp accompanyment as well as other sophisticated activities. I always attended scarf tying and napkin folding class as well as the "horse races" which I remember as a child sailing on some of the venerable old ships. We sailed her again and again until her final year in service. Now that I am of a higher age I have transferred my affection to Holland America Line for the same reason. I have sailed other mass market lines and every once in a while they are fine if not for the bizarre onboard activities. Belly flop contest anyone? There is something mesmerizing about journaling or reading while contemplating the vastness of the ocean. It is something of which I shall never tire.

Hello everyone!

Don't get caught up in the hype that certain cruise lines only fit certain age groups. It sounds to me like you've done a great job matching a cruise line to your particular interests. IMHO that is more appropriate than choosing a cruise line based on age demographics. HAL does tend to appeal to an older demographic, but it sounds like your tastes are more mature than the typical mid-twenties demographic. Go and enjoy your HAL cruise! You'll find plenty to enjoy! I have a lot of cruises under my belt, and can honestly say I've enjoyed every cruise I've taken across multiple brands over multiple years. You'll enjoy HAL services and music not available to typical cruisers in your age group on other cruise lines. I hope you have a fabulous time and will come back here and share your perspectives!

Based on what I've gathered regarding your likes and dislikes (and likely the person who made the recommendation) I think you made a good decision. Your tastes sound a bit refined for the party til you puke younger crowd you'd find on some of the other lines more targetted at your demographic. We've cruised twice with our 20 something daughter and son-in-law twice on the Nieuw Amsterdam and they really ejoyed it and would not hesitate to go again! Do not give it another thought, just enjoy an excellent vacation experience!

On the other hand if you would really like to be entertained in the evening, whether it's on a sea day or port day, I would also recommend checking out a similar itinerary on a Celebrity ship.

We are in our mid 60s and very much enjoy being entertained while we're on the ship, whether it's on a sea day or the evening after being in port all day. We like interactive game shows that make us laugh, 2 or more informative lectures on sea days, evening shows that wow us and and, of course, good food.

HAL doesn't have interactive game shows any more, most of their evening shows in the main theater, except on the Koningsdam, rarely wow us any more and there are no lectures on sea days, unless your cruise is at least 15 days. But HAL does have good itineraries, especially on longer cruises.

I realize I'm not sounding like most of the folks on this thread, but just thought you'd like to hear a different opinion.

Now, let the flaming arrows fly!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Personal experience - our son and daughter in law (in their early 30's) have been on 3 HAL cruises and 2 "other" cruises (think party ships and mega ships), and they have said they will definitely book another HAL trip before going back to another line. They like the ambience on HAL, the informative speakers, and the overall experience of Holland America Line. I hope you'll feel the same upon your return. Try not to over-think things, just go along and enjoy your time in the Caribbean.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I'm in my mid 30's and DH is early 40's. We're not into a party scene (usually in bed by 10pm ourselves due to early shifts and a 3 year old). We're sailing HAL for a second time and have no concerns about the atmosphere. The stack of board games we're taking with us is our planned entertainment (plus have a few books on the go) so I don't really need the ship to keep me busy. I sailed on Allure a few years ago and it was a different experience which I wouldn't avoid in the future. For us this upcoming cruise is about getting away and relaxing for a week so my office can't call me (and seeing how well DD does on the trip). Plus I really enjoyed that pea soup last time!

I remember when we went to the Caribbean on Princess when we were in our 30's and many of the passengers were older, not younger. Back then, I don't think they had tables for 2. We chose a table for 8. It turned out ok.

Now we are ready for Alaska, and I chose HAL based on the ship size and itinerary. Fast forward 30 years later. Yes, I have read that it attracts an older crowd, but we are not into late night stuff. Early to bed, up early for the beauty. Enjoy your trip. p.s. I don't consider myself old, but the young people do. ;)

Don't forget to check out the roll call for your specific ship and cruise date. Usually good, smaller, less expensive private excursions are planned and you "get to know" others that will be on your cruise. A Meet & Greet if often planned for the day after boarding where you can put faces to names.