Ladies, clothing tips. What and how much do you pack?

T.Swift

Do you pack the extras for the theme days?

Shoes? Shore shoes, formal shoes, dancing shoes?

Formal days?

Early morning ( I am an early riser like 5 -6 am ) and evenings are extra layers needed? Mexican Riviera first week of July.

Everyone travels and packs differently. It is all up to you to decide how you want to do it. We pack very light. I have one rolling suitcase which has all my clothes plus some shoes and other small items. I also take a backpack with extra things. There are people on here who take their whole house(lol) but we have never needed any special extras.

The way to deal with shoes is to try to color coordinate your wardrobe.

I assume you are only going for 7 days at the most( you didn't say for sure??).

We have done Mexican Riviera many times. It will be hot ashore but I find the ship to be chilly so make sure to have some sort of wrap/pashmina etc.

I take one pair of heels for "elegant" night. One pair of sandals that can also be good for walking and maybe one pair of closed toe walking shoes as well (depending on activities and if I think I'll use the gym) .

You may have read that you can get as dressed up (or not) as you please for elegant night.

Not sure what theme nights you have in mind but I don't pack for them and I don't stay up late enough to participate if they have them since they always start very late. I am sure you will get lots of other opinions about packing.

Do you pack the extras for the theme days?

Shoes? Shore shoes, formal shoes, dancing shoes?

Formal days?

Early morning ( I am an early riser like 5 -6 am ) and evenings are extra layers needed? Mexican Riviera first week of July.

I generally pack whatever I would normally wear at home, plus at least one light jacket and a shawl because it does get really freaking cold when you're indoors. I always pack at least one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of flip flops, water shoes and a pair of nicer shoes for elegant night. For elegant night, I almost always take a pair of "church" jeans (dark wash, straight leg, the ones I have are a bit on the high waisted side) and a nice shirt or blouse. That's about as dressed up as I get.

We pack very light - each takes one rolling carry-on and one backpack. We no longer do elegant nights ( I have to dress up enough for work - the dressiest I want to get on my vacation is sequined flip flops!), so that cuts down on the packing.

Everyone travels and packs differently. It is all up to you to decide how you want to do it. We pack very light. I have one rolling suitcase which has all my clothes plus some shoes and other small items. I also take a backpack with extra things. There are people on here who take their whole house(lol) but we have never needed any special extras.

The way to deal with shoes is to try to color coordinate your wardrobe.

I assume you are only going for 7 days at the most( you didn't say for sure??).

We have done Mexican Riviera many times. It will be hot ashore but I find the ship to be chilly so make sure to have some sort of wrap/pashmina etc.

I take one pair of heels for "elegant" night. One pair of sandals that can also be good for walking and maybe one pair of closed toe walking shoes as well (depending on activities and if I think I'll use the gym) .

You may have read that you can get as dressed up (or not) as you please for elegant night.

Not sure what theme nights you have in mind but I don't pack for them and I don't stay up late enough to participate if they have them since they always start very late. I am sure you will get lots of other opinions about packing.

Agree with everything. It’ll be hot and humid in ports. A bit cool inside and maybe outside on deck. Lido pool area has two story walls and a cover.

What theme days? The crew throws stuff out to the crowd at the deck parties. The Mexican Buffet night a very few wear their souvenir stuff.

I agree, I have learned to pack lighter over the years. Also, if you still feel the need to be dressy....then pack a little black dress and change up the accessories, or my fave, black slacks and switch out some fancy tops...fits for causal or dressy....and the same pair of shoes works each night.

I am still trying to perfect the art of packing light and have read endless articles/ watched YouTube videos trying to get it just right. I think I do reasonably well but it still seems that I inevitably pack a few items that I never use. But here's my approach:

Let's say I'm doing a 7 day warm weather cruise.

1. Very first is swimwear. I pack 2 swimsuits. If you pack just one and a strap breaks or whatever, you are stuck buying from the very limited and very overpriced onboard shop. That is a no go for me. Also, having two lets you rinse the one you wore today and hang it to dry, and have a dry one to put on in the morning.

2. Swimsuit coverup. I bought a couple of sleeveless casual knit dresses a few years ago at Costco for maybe $14 each and used these every single day on our Tahiti cruise. I ended up wearing my swimsuit and coverup all day, every day until it was time to dress for dinner. Almost any casual, loose fitting dress can work as a coverup, and depending on what you choose it may also double as a casual dress for dinner. Go with sleeveless dresses of lightweight fabric that can dry quickly.

3. Tops. I have many tops that are made of very lightweight, thin synthetic fabrics. They weigh only a few ounces each and take up almost no space in a suitcase. I can pack multiples of these because they take up so little space, but 4-5 should do the trick. They resist wrinkling and another bonus with this type of top is that you can easily wash one or two in your sink, hang them to dry and they will be ready to wear in the morning. Capri pants and a nice top should be fine for most nights on board, aside from elegant night.

4. Bottoms: I almost never pack jeans. They are too bulky and impossible to hand wash/hang dry in your room. I prefer Capri pants and shorts. Maybe 2 of each. Stick to black, white, and khaki because almost any top will go with at least one or more of these bottoms. Make sure that whatever you pack can mix and match with other items.

5. Elegant night: I don't pack formal dresses. One or two simple sheath dresses with some nice jewelry and dressy shoes will do just fine. Or, a couple of dressy tops with one pair of dressy black pants.

6. Shoes:

• One pair of dressy heeled sandals for dinner. Black, gold, or silver, depending on your color palate. One pair of dressy/sparkly shoes should be sufficient for the entire cruise.
  • One pair of heavy duty sandals for walking tours. I also exercise in this kind of shoe. I don't pack tennis shoes. They are too bulky. If you must have tennis shoes, then wear them on the plane to save space in your suitcase.
  • One pair of water shoes
  • Flip flops for lazy days around the lido or serenity deck

7. For undies, I pack about 4 each of underwear and bras. It takes only a moment to wash a pair of undies in the sink and hang to dry overnight.

8. Pajamas and exercise clothes can double for each other. I'll pack 2 sets of PJs and wear them more than once. Again, I look for light fabrics that take up little space in a suitcase.

9. Laundry detergent. I take a plastic baggie of powdered laundry detergent. Pods are useless if you want to wash just a small item or two in your sink. And liquid detergent can leak in your suitcase. Take some of the old fashioned powdered stuff.

10. One or two pashminas. You can use these as a wrap if the ship feels chilly, and I also like to put one in my carryon to use as a light blanket on the plane. If you get cold really easily, you might also want to pack a light sweater of some kind.

Sounds like a lot of stuff, but really if you choose very carefully it is surprisingly easy to pack all this in a smallish suitcase.

Not a lot of help from me, I'm afraid..after 25+ cruises, I am still a serial over packer...I like to have options.

We usually fly internationally to port,(at least two days prior to sailing) We have one large rolling case each, but, in case it doesn't make the connections, we have a rollaboard as cabin baggage. Always make sure we have a change of underwear, trousers, shorts or capri, few tops, flip flops and swimming costume, as well as streamlined toiletries.

Have read many articles on packing less, but still not working for me. Vivienne Files does give some useful tips though.

1. definitely 2 swimsuits. it is a god send to be able to hang one to dry and not put on a wet suit.

2. a jacket for on the cruise ship- it will be cold!

3. Clothes that are comfortable to walk around and do stuff in while the weather is super hot. Usually shorts and t-shirts of Columbia shirts for me.

4. I bring a different formal gown for each formal night. Then, because I don't get to dress up at home, hubby and I go cocktail attire for every dinner. I try to coordinate outfits so I only need one or two pairs of heels.

5. Tennis shoes and a good pair of walking shoes. Flip flops for around the ship.

6. I always bring a pair of jeans for after dinner or when you want to just relax inside the freezing cold ship.

I bring flip-flops for pool/beach and around towns and on the ship during the day. I will bring some shoes for evening...I can dance in them, too...no "special" dance shoes needed. I don't bring hiking boots or rain boots or any other "specialty" shoes.

Daytime is VERY casual, both on and off the ship. At night, you can wear slacks/collared shirts for men , capris, skirt, slacks, dress for women...and can dress up even more if you want to.

You're one of them danged Yankees aren't you?;):')

Oh heavens no! Lifelong Texan here. :D

But I still don' pack jeans -- too bulky in the suitcase and much too heavy for a beachy vacation. :cool:

Not a lot of help from me, I'm afraid..after 25+ cruises, I am still a serial over packer...I like to have options.

We usually fly internationally to port,(at least two days prior to sailing) We have one large rolling case each, but, in case it doesn't make the connections, we have a rollaboard as cabin baggage. Always make sure we have a change of underwear, trousers, shorts or capri, few tops, flip flops and swimming costume, as well as streamlined toiletries.

Have read many articles on packing less, but still not working for me. Vivienne Files does give some useful tips though.

If two people, cross pack. Half your clothes in each suitcase, same for other person.

That way, if you miss one suitcase, you can survive.

Mix and match is the key.

These are both great tips, and we always do this. We've been lucky, but you never know when something can go wrong. Just this weekend my daughter arrived safely in Boston but her suitcase did not. She hates to bother with a carryon so she arrived in Boston with not so much as a toothbrush. It pays off to take a carryon and cross-pack.

I am not a huge list maker, except for cruises. Because it is a set itinerary you know exactly what you will be doing and where you will be going. I list each day and assign clothes to wear accordingly, based on day and night. That way I can pare down and match pants to one or more days with different tops. I then throw in one extra day and one extra night outfit. Sometimes I will switch what I am wearing on what day, but for the most part I stick with my list. It helps to not have to decide what I want to wear each day. I just consult my list. :D I used to over pack (and because I love shoes I still have a problem there) but as far as clothes, my list helps.

Shoe wise you need to have shoes that fit a majority of occasions and flat shoes weigh less and are smaller.

I mainly do longer cruises but for my 7 day I packed day sandals, evening sandals, formal evening shoes and closed toe shoes (trainers) for activity stuff...don't forget some socks!All these were flat because I'm tall.

I can be quite bad clothes wise as I love maxi dresses and skirts. Best thing to pack is basics you can wear up or down so I have plain maxi skirts, neutral coloured/black maxi dresses and leggings with short dresses. These can go with lots of things and be dressed for different occasions. I also pack and travel in a warm/jumper hoodie for the ships air con.

Oh and at least 2 bikinis/swimsuits and cover up.

I can be quite bad clothes wise as I love maxi dresses and skirts. Best thing to pack is basics you can wear up or down so I have plain maxi skirts, neutral coloured/black maxi dresses and leggings with short dresses. These can go with lots of things and be dressed for different occasions. I also pack and travel in a warm/jumper hoodie for the ships air con.

Oh and at least 2 bikinis/swimsuits and cover up.

I love maxi skirts as well. Will be packing several of them. :):)

I'm with you! I love to have options, and I love to wear a nice dress at dinner every night and a different formal gown on each formal night. My DH brings a tux and several suit jackets and pants as well. I bring quite the collection of shoes too..... sparkly dressy heels, comfy sandals, workout and running shoes, flip flops ... I think my last cruise I had at least a dozen pairs. Dressing up and with variety is part of the fun of cruising for us!

I'm with you! I love to have options, and I love to wear a nice dress at dinner every night and a different formal gown on each formal night. My DH brings a tux and several suit jackets and pants as well. I bring quite the collection of shoes too..... sparkly dressy heels, comfy sandals, workout and running shoes, flip flops ... I think my last cruise I had at least a dozen pairs. Dressing up and with variety is part of the fun of cruising for us!

Chronic Over-packer here too! I like options :') The best was my last cruise we had 3 women in our cabin. We had so many options we considered having a wardrobe change every hour on the hour the last sea day just to say we wore everything LOL

It's easier because we drive to port so don't have to worry about those pesky weight limits :evilsmile:

The best packing tip I have came from these boards. The tip is to pack clothes in 2.5 gallon zippered bags, such as Hefty bags. I pack one or two outfits or night clothes in each bag so I can easily see the outfit(s) in each bag. My husband also uses this system but he packs several shirts or pants in each bag. Once on the ship, I put the bags directly in a drawer or on a shelf until I'm ready to dress for the day. The best part is that the bags are cheap and we use them over and over again--just put all the used bags back in one of them and store until the next cruise!

We pack very light - each takes one rolling carry-on and one backpack. We no longer do elegant nights ( I have to dress up enough for work - the dressiest I want to get on my vacation is sequined flip flops!), so that cuts down on the packing.

This!!!! :p

I also pack light and casual. I wear cotton, mostly organic. I won't wear polyester (some contains triclosan) or other synthetics.

I spend way more time choosing my reading material.

Edited by Bookish Angel