What to do with room service tray?

I always have seen room service trays outside rooms at hotels and on a cruise. I read on here though people saying you shouldn’t do that. What is the proper protocol for the trays? Keep it in your room until the next time you see your steward/time for them to service your room? Is there some piece you are supposed to take the trays? Just curious the alternative to placing outside your room.

Just me, but I keep the tray in the room if I get room service for breakfast which is only before a shore excursion but would put it out in the hall if I get some late night room service. I'm sure everyone has their opinion, I'm certainly not sure which one is right.

most hotels tell you to put the tray outside and give room service a call to come pick it up.

John Heald, Carnival Cruiseline Brand Ambassador, says to put it outside your door.

I’ve always placed the tray outside my door. However, I do try to cover the tray with the napkin provided. Just makes it more visually appealing.

Like others have said, officially, you can place it outside your door, against the wall. On the other hand, it might be a bit before it is picked up. I have seen trays sit out for a few days, or maybe someone just gets a lot of room service, and is always replacing them. Another option, if you feel so inclined, is to take it up to the Lido Buffet, and leave it on empty table, it will probably be picked up faster there, but it is more work for you, and not necessary.

I just stayed in one of our more upscale resorts here in Vermont and the room service trays were left in the hallway. If we use room service (which isn't often) I will typically ask what they want me to do with the tray and the answer has always been to put it in the hallway when done.

Just me, but I keep the tray in the room if I get room service for breakfast which is only before a shore excursion but would put it out in the hall if I get some late night room service. I'm sure everyone has their opinion, I'm certainly not sure which one is right.

It is not good to leave your tray ouside your cabin. Looks terrible and somebody could trip. Best to keep in Your cabin. Other guests do not have to view your dirty plates and leftovers. Terrible IMO

Their ships, their procedures:

19247758_2012927432083141_3681899707519945641_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9164ca285bc6746ab350def7aff5ab52&oe=5B9D33DD

John Heald

August 29, 2016 ·

" people are asking on the room service posts today, we do prefer you to place your room service trays outside of your cabin door as soon as you have finished with them. This way we can get them collected quickly, washed and cleaned and back into service. "

19247758_2012927432083141_3681899707519945641_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9164ca285bc6746ab350def7aff5ab52&oe=5B9D33DD

John Heald

August 29, 2016 ·

" people are asking on the room service posts today, we do prefer you to place your room service trays outside of your cabin door as soon as you have finished with them. This way we can get them collected quickly, washed and cleaned and back into service. "

Their house their rules. On other cruise lines, the cruise line is silent on the issue. In those cases, it is up to you, and the only wrong answer between the two is to claim that your way is the only way and everyone else is doing it wrong.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

If you only have service once a day that tray can be in your room for up to 24hrs (depending when your food arrives) that can get pretty dank if you leave it in your stateroom just put it in the hall. Its just how it gets done and they get rid of it fairly quick. Also a call to housekeeping for heads up will probably help. It’s not like people are walking the hall dodging trays from every single room anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

John Heald

August 29, 2016 ·

exactly. Room service is supposed to send people out every few hours to collect trays

Anyone I have ever asked on a Carnival cruise (steward, room service deliverer, room cleaner standing in the hall saying "Hi") said to put it in the hallway. It's usually picked up pretty quickly.

It would be great if the used trays were collected quickly, but in my experience they often linger for many hours.

With all due respect to Mr. Heald, if the steward is coming to make up the room, and you are headed out, why not leave the tray on the bed where it will not be in everyone else's way?

It would be great if the used trays were collected quickly, but in my experience they often linger for many hours.

With all due respect to Mr. Heald, if the steward is coming to make up the room, and you are headed out, why not leave the tray on the bed where it will not be in everyone else's way?

The room stewards seem to have enough to do why add work for them.

We have been told many times, on many ships, that when you are finished with your room service, put the dishes on the trays outside the door. They have staff that are designated specifically to picking up the trays along the hallways at certain times.

Besides, the room stewards have enough to do in the cabins without taking the trays out and figuring out where to unload the dirty dishes and pile up the trays, the room supply cleaning carts do not accommodate trays and dirty dishes (with leftover food). If you think about it, leaving the trays outside the cabin is a logical work flow and makes the most sense. We have also used this method in high end hotels that offer room service options, it is not unusual.

Someone here asked John Heald about the matter and he did a poll today:

John Heald created a poll.

3 hrs ·

" Name: Mollie-------

Message: Can we talk room service trays. I know Carnival is trying to nickel and dime me with charging after 10 at night but what are we supposed to do with the trays?!? There is a raging debate on ------------- on room service trays. Both sides have strong arguments explaining why their perspective is correct. Generally, the issue seems to be that calling room service to retrieve the tray does not result in a timely retrieval, or results in advice to leave it in the hallway, or some combination. So what is the definitive answer. None of your lurid humor needed Heald, just a straight answer is required!

-------------------------------------------

OK, I am as requested Mollie being straight.

Please leave them outside of your cabin door and if possible place a napkin over the food. It is the food service department, not housekeeping that is responsible for collecting them.

So please leave the trays outside of your cabin door Mollie along with my first name 1f642.png:)

Do you leave your tray outside of your cabin door?

85%YES

15%NO " end quote

and Mollie this is hardly a raging debate. Drama! Party of One!! :)

It is not good to leave your tray ouside your cabin. Looks terrible and somebody could trip. Best to keep in Your cabin. Other guests do not have to view your dirty plates and leftovers. Terrible IMO
If Carnival tells you to put them in the hallway, then it is good. For the ships with the recessed cabin doorways, there's little risk of anyone tripping. Several people claim they're in the way in the hallways. A tray isn't hard to avoid. They're not spread out down the hall like landmines. How much time does one single passenger spend walking up & down the halls? You could argue that they might be in the way of crew with their cleaning equipment, but how many trays are there really in a single hallway? And again, the hallway is where Carnival says to put it.

Someone here asked John Heald about the matter and he did a poll today:

John Heald created a poll.

3 hrs ·

" Name: Mollie-------

Message: Can we talk room service trays. I know Carnival is trying to nickel and dime me with charging after 10 at night but what are we supposed to do with the trays?!? There is a raging debate on ------------- on room service trays. Both sides have strong arguments explaining why their perspective is correct. Generally, the issue seems to be that calling room service to retrieve the tray does not result in a timely retrieval, or results in advice to leave it in the hallway, or some combination. So what is the definitive answer. None of your lurid humor needed Heald, just a straight answer is required!

-------------------------------------------

OK, I am as requested Mollie being straight.

Please leave them outside of your cabin door and if possible place a napkin over the food. It is the food service department, not housekeeping that is responsible for collecting them.

So please leave the trays outside of your cabin door Mollie along with my first name 1f642.png:)

Do you leave your tray outside of your cabin door?

85%YES

15%NO " end quote

and Mollie this is hardly a raging debate. Drama! Party of One!! :)

Why does someone immediately rush to the JH page to tell him all about the newest "debate" on Cruise Critic? All it does is continuously open the door for his pathetic cheap shots. Shots taken at Carnival cruisers. If it weren't for CC, he wouldn't have nearly as much content for his precious fb page.

Why does someone immediately rush to the JH page to tell him all about the newest "debate" on Cruise Critic? All it does is continuously open the door for his pathetic cheap shots. Shots taken at Carnival cruisers. If it weren't for CC, he wouldn't have nearly as much content for his precious fb page.

People are lazy. It's easy to kvetch online but challenging to do volunteer work in their local community or similar. I have time to do both :)

"It is the food service department, not housekeeping that is responsible for collecting them." [John Heald]
Incidentally, this is the most interesting inside information that Heald relayed to us in his message.

Assuming of course that he isn't just gleaning the info himself and making up poster's names to stir the pot (my personal jury is still out on that particular question).