Grand Turk

travsmom

I was wondering about swimming at Grand Turk,is it rocky or sandy bottom.

It's mostly sandy but there are bits of coral as well as some larger rocks/coral in some spots. Most people don't use water shoes there, but I always do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The closer you are to the area near the pier, the rockier it is. But it's not small rocks. They're large, somewhat flat boulders. The closer you get to Jack's Shack (about a quarter mile from the pier), the sandier it gets.

The closer you are to the area near the pier, the rockier it is. But it's not small rocks. They're large, somewhat flat boulders. The closer you get to Jack's Shack (about a quarter mile from the pier), the sandier it gets.

Near the ship would wear water shoes better to head down todays Jacks

I also saw lots of rocks in the water as I walked off the pier from the ship. That's where many cruisers plop themselves, as well as around the nearby pool.

Between the crowds, noise and rocks, I found a much better experience further down the beach, either at Jack's or one of the other local beach venders. The beach stretch there is really sandy. Will be re-visiting from the Horizon in about 2 weeks!

I also saw lots of rocks in the water as I walked off the pier from the ship. That's where many cruisers plop themselves, as well as around the nearby pool.

Between the crowds, noise and rocks, I found a much better experience further down the beach, either at Jack's or one of the other local beach venders. The beach stretch there is really sandy. Will be re-visiting from the Horizon in about 2 weeks!

It is more sandy down there. Jack's is not quite the bargain it used to be in terms of food and drink, but that is OK.

It is more sandy down there. Jack's is not quite the bargain it used to be in terms of food and drink, but that is OK.

True....but it is much quieter near Jack's than the beach near M'ville, where the DJ blasts music better heard at Night Clubs than the beach (IMHO)....:confused::confused:

Any sharks seen in those waters other than stingrays?

I spent a week on Grand Turk with my scuba diving club and got some great underwater photos of sharks.....mostly nurse sharks, a few Caribbean reef sharks and a possible hammerhead (too far away to tell) but the most AMAZING thing was a pod of dolphins that came through. They were so close that I couldn't get them all into my camera frame. A once in a lifetime experience! I'll be back at Grand Turk next year so hopefully......more shark photos and maybe more dolphins??? Please????