Can we talk sandwiches?

SeaScout

I agree the new deli sandwiches are a disappointment. I tried it twice and then gave up.

I also agree with the person who said the new deli sandwiches are causing more food to be wasted. Many people don't care for the new sandwiches so they don't eat them after they get them, and go find something else to eat instead.

We were on the conquest in March and we loved the new sandwiches. We ate there most days for lunch. We liked the grilled sandwiches much better than the panini press. All the sandwiches did not have any condiments, you had to add your own. Apparently we are in the minority.

Mayo and hot weather don't mix. Folks from the cooler climates may not realize it, but out in hot weather it goes bad quick. Maybe it is just too much hassle or risk of spoilage.

Your statement is specious.

Mayonnaise by itself is acidic and does not support microbial growth. In some cases, it will act as a microbial inhibitor when mixed in with other foods, such as some salads. A layer of mayonnaise on bread on a sandwich will also act as a "preservative" for a short time.

Food that is at refrigerated temperature can safely be left out for up to four hours. The salads and other food that are the source of illness at picnics or other outdoor occasions have often been held at room temperature for a long period of time before serving, improperly cooled, or are left out for an extended period beyond the four hour limit.

In any case, Carnival must adhere to the standards in the Food Code for time, temperature and other food handling procedures. There would be no difference between having mayo, mustard or butter on the sandwich.

Edited by Homosassa

We are with you OP! We seriously miss the 'old' Deli sandwiches (Ruebens, Tuna etc) that were made to order and Panini pressed....yum! We tried the new ones once each, then never needed to wait in that line again!!

I did something different on our recent cruises, when I wanted a sandwich, my way, I ordered from room service a turkey sandwich, and a BLT, then combined them at the room!

My Turkey with Bacon was GREAT!!-))

Too lazy to walk to Guy's, order from room service a hamburger and a BLT, and you got a great Burger with bacon!!-))

And don't get me started how good a tuna with bacon is!-))

I enjoyed my sandwiches on our balcony!-))

Mayo and hot weather don't mix. Folks from the cooler climates may not realize it, but out in hot weather it goes bad quick. Maybe it is just too much hassle or risk of spoilage.

the mayo is kept in a cold table, it's just fine, and it is already at the deli.

Experienced the new deli on Glory in December and I absolutely loved it! Everything I had was delicious and freshly made. It's so great to have some hot sandwich choices with delicious bread. We were on the miracle two weeks ago which still has the old deli and I was disappointed. I can make a deli meat sandwich at home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Public health inspectors will tell you that because mayonnaise contains a fair amount of vinegar bacteria are very slow to culture in mayonnaise.

Seascout, maybe next time go meatless.

Try the meatless option — called the falafel wrap. ��

I thought it had too much onion the first time so I gave it another chance and requested no onion and it was great !

Very crunchy and flavorful and surprisingly filling.

You just gave me a reason to try the deli. I love falafel pretty much any way it can be served.

Edited by rpyne
Spelling

We are with you OP! We seriously miss the 'old' Deli sandwiches (Ruebens, Tuna etc) that were made to order and Panini pressed....yum! We tried the new ones once each, then never needed to wait in that line again!!

They also sit out too long and are stale. Not always, but all that I tried were. Bleh

No more smoked salmon at the deli or breakfast buffet. Only place is MDR at brunch or breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

:o Not sure how recent that was. I was on Breeze last August, and was still a bit disappointed about removal of smoke salmon from the breakfast room service menu. I couldn't find any on the Lido buffet, so I waited in line at the deli. It was used for something else, maybe omelettes? (breakfast hours) and I was told "Not until lunch." During later hours, I was able to get smoke salmon on bagel. I will try the MDR this August.

On a side note, I have heard complaints that the food has gone downhill over the years (I have only been cruising for 7), but I have noticed that all of the little things that I favor tend to be disappearing. Smoked salmon for breakfast room service, "included" 24 hr room service, the Taste Bar, an "included" sushi cart on Lido, made to order sandwiches at the Deli. All the while more "extra cost" items are being added. I wonder what the goal for that trajectory is.

I'll take Miracle Whip over mayo any day. Safer too.

Just off the Conquest last Saturday. Tried the new sandwiches at the Deli. Didn't like them. Tried to like them. Just didn't. :loudcry::loudcry:I know. Not the end of the world. Not a big deal. Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. But, Cmon, how do they manage to ruin something as simple as a sandwich? :mad::mad::mad:

First, I'm Platinum so I think I can accurately judge the "sandwiches that were" vs. "The sandwiches we have today". We certainly didn't starve on board, had a great cruise all around, enjoyed ourselves. Just didn't like the sandwiches as much as we liked the sandwiches of yesteryear.

I ran into the same problem, sandwiches on the Conquest made 'their way'!

So, I asked for a tuna on rye, the answer given me was we don't have tuna on rye, so I asked what do you have on rye.

The answer was a meat I didn't want(forget what it was), so I said, give me one of those, take off the meat, and put a scoop of tuna on it!

The guy behind the counter did it, wasn't happy about it, but I wasn't questioned the rest of the cruise if I wanted it MY WAY!!!:D

BTW agree the press was better then the new oven!