Just had an email from P&O to say that the new ship name is announced on Thursday at 4PM

Any guesses ?

They've just posted this also. Steel cutting has begun..

hC_EUn_q1fS8

Link if the above doesn't work.

Wonder why the change to Mayer?

There have been a number of suggestions of Olympia as the new ship’s name.

I think they've booked Meghan; waited for the Queen's announcement and are breaking with tradition... it's the Duchess of Sussex! :D

Posted (edited)

Any chance they’d reuse Canberra? Probably not. She was the most famous P&O liner in the later half of the 20th century, but I don’t think P&O are much about tradition these days.

Then again, maybe Victoria?

Edited by Fairsky84

Any chance they’d reuse Canberra? Probably not. She was the most famous P&O liner in the later half of the 20th century, but I don’t think P&O are much about tradition these days.

Then again, maybe Victoria?

Doubt it when Cunard have Queen Victoria. Too confusing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think they've booked Meghan; waited for the Queen's announcement and are breaking with tradition... it's the Duchess of Sussex! :D

Shame that the Duchess of Cambirdge is the Godmother of the Royal Princess, it'd been nice to have Megan and Catherine for both new P&O ships.

I thought they'd have gone for Canberra for Britannia - especially when they announces she was having two funnels, but I was wrong.

I wouldn't mind them using the old name again, although fans of the old Canberra may be aghast at her new namesake.

And what of her sister (2022)? Should she have a complimentary name?

I would like to see the name Canberra make a return, but Olympia would make sense and seems to be a name that wouldn't be controversial.

To me, Olympia does sound very old-fashioned. I would have thought they might go for something a little more modern sounding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wondered that too that the reason for the delay in naming the ship (which had been due to be announced in April)is because of the royal wedding with Meghan being Godmother.Many rumours but most popular seem to be Olympia, Iona or Athena as the name

P&O have been known to recently use an old name previously used by Cunard.

Regards John

Shame that the Duchess of Cambirdge is the Godmother of the Royal Princess, it'd been nice to have Megan and Catherine for both new P&O ships.

I thought they'd have gone for Canberra for Britannia - especially when they announces she was having two funnels, but I was wrong.

I wouldn't mind them using the old name again, although fans of the old Canberra may be aghast at her new namesake.

And what of her sister (2022)? Should she have a complimentary name?

Simples... two new ships called Duchess of Sussex and Duchess of Cambridge! ;p

Simples... two new ships called Duchess of Sussex and Duchess of Cambridge! ;p

They sound more like Isle of Wight ferry names, or maybe Whitby pleasure steamers.

Athena is already a cruise ship, currently owned by Phoenix Raisen. We sailed on her some years ago. She was built in 1939 as the Stockholm. Why do people think Olympia, seems an odd name to me. A mountain in Greece? Ariadne?

What to expect tomorrow.... more than just a name?

a) a name

b) a launch month (March 2020 would seem favourite)

c) an on-sale date (expect the new ship to go on sale earlier than September when the rest of Summer 2020 drops).

What to expect tomorrow.... more than just a name?

a) a name

b) a launch month (March 2020 would seem favourite)

c) an on-sale date (expect the new ship to go on sale earlier than September when the rest of Summer 2020 drops).

Is it usual for new ships to go on sale prior to a normal season release? I can't recall what happened when Britannia was released.

Is it usual for new ships to go on sale prior to a normal season release? I can't recall what happened when Britannia was released.
It was slightly before I think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Athena is already a cruise ship, currently owned by Phoenix Raisen. We sailed on her some years ago. She was built in 1939 as the Stockholm. Why do people think Olympia, seems an odd name to me. A mountain in Greece? Ariadne?

That would be Mount Olympus, Olympia is where the ancient Olympic games originated. Its a great place to visit with a good guide.

I think a lot of people have suggested Olympia because 2020 is an Olympic year

If you look at the Gibraltar cruise schedule for 2020 you can see the new ship already has stops arranged albeit with the name TBC.

New ship is called IONA.

Neither here nor there really.

Yes, just watched it being announced.

I'm ok with that.:)

New ship is called IONA.

Quite agree. Unimpressed and uninspired. Shame. Think it should have had some nod to the many years P&O have been cruising.

Quite agree. Unimpressed and uninspired. Shame. Think it should have had some nod to the many years P&O have been cruising.

Paul Ludlow explains in his video the reasoning behide the name choice.

He says that they can trace their (P&O) history and roots back to Scotland.

Certainly looks a very nice place and should please our Scottish friends.

Hols4

Just been announced the ship's to be called IONA

New ship is called IONA.

OMG.

Next shock will be Nicky Sturgeon as the Godmother.

:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

OMG.

Next shock will be Nicky Sturgeon as the Godmother.

:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

Made us laugh :')

Now that would be the final nail in the coffin for us !!! :p

Very boring. Strange.

It’s a beautiful island not boring or strange and a great nod to history.

A lot of negative comments on here. Let’s face it, no matter what they had called her a lot of people would have been unhappy. Unfortunately that seems to be human nature, but it doesn’t really matter, we’ll all get used to it quite quickly and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Very boring. Strange.

The name isn't what I was expecting either. I know that not all of us would be able to agree on a name, but I was expecting something that would be more memorable, exciting and which would grab the passengers attention and imagination.

Have to say that we like it :-)

There were plenty of others that could be far worse !

I quite like the name and thought it was good that it was announced live from Iona and an explanation of why the name was chosen.It would be nice if the ship could dock somewhere nearby because it is a lovely island but can t see how that would be possible with such a huge ship.On one cruise with another company we tendered into Mull (from where you can catch a ferry to Iona) but although there were only 500 people onboard there were far too many for Mull and Iona is a lot smaller than that!I tend to associate Iona with everything peaceful A large cruise ship doesn t really fit the image

Iona is a beautiful name. Not one though I’d suggest for a massive beast of a ship that won’t be able to visit small islands... nor one for a ship that’ll be heaving, busy and probably noisy! If they’d built a smaller ship then it would have been apt ;)