New Ship

bee-ess

Well this will get the Threads buzzing. Four Freedom Dining Venues & NO Club Dining. Wait for "This is the End of the World" replies!.

They arrive with the "Tips Included" and "Boarding with Alchol Banned" statements.

Well this will get the Threads buzzing. Four Freedom Dining Venues & NO Club Dining. Wait for "This is the End of the World" replies!.

Well at the risk of being a cliche..

I'm disappointed that they're not going to have Club dining on board. Then again, I don't think that I'll be going on Iona. And yes dear P&O, I am in the demographic that you are aiming at...

I must say that if I were remotely interested in sailing with 5000+ other pax in the first instance, the lack of Club Dining would put me off - especially when travelling solo. If P&O do want to sell this ship to solo travellers, I feel they will need to up their game on what they offer us in terms of hosted events etc.

To my eyes, there is nothing 'Grand' about the images of the "Grand Atrium". Even the individual venue spaces look somewhat dull and boring. A Gastro-pub called the "Keel & Cow"? Whoever came up with that bizarre name...

Club 710 sounds an interesting venue - but will they be charging for it I ask?

I'm quite glad that I have never been excited about this new ship.

Don't like the "No club Dining' bit but will probably give it a go.

We prefer freedom dining so no problem for us.

I wonder if P&O have looked at the statistics of how many do freedom as opposed to club and made their decisions on that.

Yes, looks like they are going for the dull, bland, boring look again!

I have likened the Britannia atrium to a John Lewis department store, unfortunately the Iona video reminds me more of a motorway service area.

I don't see any mention that club dining has been scrapped.

Where does it say that there is no Club dining? I’m not doubting, just that I didn’t see it in the blurb I have just read.

I am also wondering if they might have a dedicated dining venue for suite passengers, much as they do for breakfast? I believe that other cruise lines offer such things whereas benefits for P&O suite passengers are quite minor.

Having just returned today from Arcadia, where we had an excellent aft corner wrap suite, we thought we might give one a go on Iona (having had a poor experience in one on Britannia), but I see that there is a public area directly underneath (as there is for much of the side of the ship) which puts me off, as I would worry about late night noise (we like being forward or aft as these locations are quieter). Our daughters (both in their 20’s) are keen to try Iona as they missed the facilities of Britannia when we were on Arcadia (as, I have to say, we did).

Could you please enlighten us on the source of this information.

My previous reply was based on the assumption it was mentioned online but I have looked and can't see any reference.:confused:

I love the look of the atrium. Love the big ships with lots to do and lots of space to do it in. But, as a previous poster said, I too would be put off if no club dining as a solo traveller.

I am always glad when first night questions are over. I couldn't put up with them every night!!

The source was from a well known TA in the East Midlands. The E-Mail was obviously from P&O & listed all the Dining Venues including the info on Freedom Dining only in the 4 Main Dining Venues.The TA may have "jumped the gun" by issuing the info but it was genuine.

The source was from a well known TA in the East Midlands. The E-Mail was obviously from P&O & listed all the Dining Venues including the info on Freedom Dining only in the 4 Main Dining Venues.The TA may have "jumped the gun" by issuing the info but it was genuine.

Thanks for that information, yes it does appear to be correct.

I have just looked on our TA website and I have copied the following information from an official P&O article that they feature.

"A P&O Cruises First, Iona will exclusively offer Freedom Dining in the main restaurants. This puts guests in the driving seat, giving them the flexibility to dine with friends and family any time from 6–9pm. At peak times, a pager will alert them when the table is ready so there’s time to relax with an aperitif."

Royal Caribbean tried freedom dining only, it didn't last long.

NCL only offer freedom dining.

However, the wording implies freedom dining is in the four MAIN restaurants. To me, that leaves room for speculation that there may be a smaller club dining restaurant. But, that could be wishful thinking on my part.

I can only hope that they put some system in place for solo travellers to eat together as I believe there is on NCL.

Gah that quote is full of PR bluff "Puts guests in the driving seat" puh-lease.. trying to make it sound like having a set evening dining time is such a hardship.

I've never done Freedom, what's stopping you booking 18:30 every night of the cruise?

Well at the risk of being a cliche..

I'm disappointed that they're not going to have Club dining on board. Then again, I don't think that I'll be going on Iona. And yes dear P&O, I am in the demographic that you are aiming at...

I like the traditional cruising experience and am also in the demographic P&O are aiming for, so this news is disappointing. Let's hope they don't role it out across the fleet...

Gah that quote is full of PR bluff "Puts guests in the driving seat" puh-lease.. trying to make it sound like having a set evening dining time is such a hardship.

I've never done Freedom, what's stopping you booking 18:30 every night of the cruise?

You can't book a time on Freedom Dining.

However, the wording implies freedom dining is in the four MAIN restaurants. To me, that leaves room for speculation that there may be a smaller club dining restaurant. But, that could be wishful thinking on my part.

The thought did cross my mind too, but it'd require common sense thinking from the planning department....

I like your idea though. A small Club dining room of say 1,000 guests wouldn't be too hard to do would it?

Freedom would be the default, with Club available on request when booking. Only downside I can see is that it'd probably be oversubscribed.

The thought did cross my mind too, but it'd require common sense thinking from the planning department....

I like your idea though. A small Club dining room of say 1,000 guests wouldn't be too hard to do would it?

Freedom would be the default, with Club available on request when booking. Only downside I can see is that it'd probably be oversubscribed.

If it was over subscribed I could see them using that as an excuse to charge for it. 😉

I like the traditional cruising experience and am also in the demographic P&O are aiming for, so this news is disappointing. Let's hope they don't role it out across the fleet...

Glad I'm not the only one then! haha :D Sad to say though, I fear we're in the minority on this.

And if they want Iona to be the Freedom exlcusuve ship, then they are more than welcome to do so. This does not need to be fleetwide.