Cruising Carnival Vista while 18 Weeks pregnant.

skyemhill

Looking for advice for cruising while pregnant. I know I need a note from my doctor for carnival. I am wondering if there is anyway to embark earlier than normal based on the need to not wanting to be waiting around and same for disembarking.

Any advice would be great!

No wonder people are confused on how to regard pregnancy and cruising. One woman might say, "I'm healthy, strong, and entirely fit to take on all of the cruise activities." But another says, "I need priority boarding because I'm pregnant." :confused:

No wonder people are confused on how to regard pregnancy and cruising. One woman might say, "I'm healthy, strong, and entirely fit to take on all of the cruise activities." But another says, "I need priority boarding because I'm pregnant." :confused:

I think I am healthy, strong and entirely fit however, I would just like to be aware of anything that is available. This is my first pregnancy so I don't know what to expect or how I might be feeling. I am trying to prepare for everything. Thanks though for your opinion.

I think I am healthy, strong and entirely fit however, I would just like to be aware of anything that is available. This is my first pregnancy so I don't know what to expect or how I might be feeling. I am trying to prepare for everything. Thanks though for your opinion.

Don't let any of the posters here get to you. Some will be nice other will not, just read the information and use the good and throw out the bad. You will have a great cruise. Nothing wrong with asking for early boarding, most here try to do whatever they can to have rank and move up with the cruise lines. Just enjoy your trip.

Don't let any of the posters here get to you. Some will be nice other will not, just read the information and use the good and throw out the bad. You will have a great cruise. Nothing wrong with asking for early boarding, most here try to do whatever they can to have rank and move up with the cruise lines. Just enjoy your trip.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. I am just trying to get an idea on things. :D:D

Looking for advice for cruising while pregnant. I know I need a note from my doctor for carnival. I am wondering if there is anyway to embark earlier than normal based on the need to not wanting to be waiting around and same for disembarking.

huh? being pregnant is not a reason to board early. and if you are having so many problems with your condition you shouldn't be sailing at all.

NOBODY wants to be waiting around on barding day. if you want to board as soon as you are done checking in, then do not arrive until after 11 am as boarding typically starts by then.

as for getting off first; that requires you to schlep all your own luggage off without any assistance and also tends to mean you have to be standing in line an hour or more before scheduled arrival. otherwise you can ask for an early luggage tag number or book a suite which always gets priority.

One caution: pregnant travellers have been turned away. I believe the cut-off is 20 weeks. The OP said she was 18 weeks; it would be wise to have some documentation from her OB-GYN stating how far along she is.

Carnival requests you choose a check-in time and will not allow you into the terminal until that time, which is printed on your boarding pass. It's part of the online checkin process. The only way to be assured no waiting is to purchase an excursion called Faster To The Fun. This allows you priority checkin and boarding and immediate access to your cabin. You can read more about it on the Carnival forum here. EM

To board early (first group) on Carnival you need to be part of a wedding party, Diamond, Platinum, sailing in a suite or buy Faster to the Fun.

To avoid the crowds you can always arrive a bit later in the day.

To get off quicker you’d have to be Diamond, Platinum, FTTF and/or do Self Assist. Self Assist is where you take off all your luggage in the morning. On way to minimize the wait at debark is to get breakfast in the MDR.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival will be happy to accommodate you in many ways but super early boarding is out. Disabled guests wait with everyone else so do any pregnant women. Disembarkation will be fine as you can sit in many lounges waiting for your zone (or do self assist if you have someone able to take your bag and their own to be off early).

Either get an early zone so you get a seat and get one arly or arrive later so you can go on the ship.

huh? being pregnant is not a reason to board early. and if you are having so many problems with your condition you shouldn't be sailing at all.

NOBODY wants to be waiting around on barding day. if you want to board as soon as you are done checking in, then do not arrive until after 11 am as boarding typically starts by then.

as for getting off first; that requires you to schlep all your own luggage off without any assistance and also tends to mean you have to be standing in line an hour or more before scheduled arrival. otherwise you can ask for an early luggage tag number or book a suite which always gets priority.

My doctor has cleared me to go. I had pretty crappy morning sickness. I am not stopping my life just because I am pregnant. I booked this vacation long before I became pregnant. Thank you for the opinions. I am just wanting to be safe on this vacation and be aware of anything that is out there and available to me.

Just make sure you meet the cruise lines rules.

There is a thread here about a woman turned away due to being too far along. Even with a note from her doctor. The cruise line WILL enforce their rules.

Congratulations on your first pregnancy:D

Every woman and each pregnancy is different, but typically the second semester is the "sweet spot" where you are past morning sickness but the baby(ies) have not grown so much that mom is uncomfortable. You will likely have more energy than first trimester, but it is wise to be prepared where you can be.

I'm not sure where you are sailing from or your itinerary, so some of this might not apply:

• insurance - check what is and isn't covered. Do you have cancel for any reason?
  • boarding - either get Faster to the Fun (FTTF) or wait until later to board. FTTF is nice especially if you have a tender port, but most of its benefits can be found by waiting later and avoiding crowds
  • swelling - my feet swelled significantly with my first child (summer pregnancy) and they also swelled a lot on my last cruise. Try to find a way to keep your legs elevated when possible, drink plenty of water, and avoid extra sodium where you can (hard on a cruise)
  • Zika - I would check with your doctor, the CDC, and whatever agency covers where you are going to confirm that it is safe to travel. You are right that pregnancy is not a disability and you should be able to live your life while pregnant, but there are some safety concerns that must be considered.
  • disembarking - I'd opt for a late departure if possible to avoid lines and crowds.

In short, no,,,,,,,

Pregnancy is not an illness and you are early on. Heart attacks strokes are illness and folks who suffer from such should board be fore a healthy, newly pregnant young woman who simply does not want t o wait her t urn.

IF there is a medical need, that is priority IMO No special need just because you have a tiny fetus or fetuses growing. Sorry to be so blunt but you asked.

Congratulations and all best wishes but plan to wait your turn

Why do you think you need exrtra consideration to board ahead of others who have that amenity? Either they have sailed the cruise line many times, paid a lot of money for a costly suite and that is one of the benefits they are paying for. as attached to the suite Maybe they bought FTTF? Did you?

If you try to cut in front of them it might not be a good idea.

Your doctor has no say whether you can board the ship or not. All he/ she has to say in the letter you must present is how far along in your pregnancy you will be on the last day of your cruise. READ the Carnival website clear rules as to cruising while pregnant. They enforce those rules with no exceptions Meet the rules or you do not board the ship and you get no refund..

Edited by sail7seas

I so agree ab out the threat of Zika virus. If i t is present in any of your ports, discuss with your doctor whether you should cancel your cruise. Such a horrid risk to a fetus should you be bit by an infected mosquito.

do you want to take that risk with your baby?

We all wait together until the ship is cleared. None of us want to wait, but we do. Elderly people, people who may have medical problems, tired parents, with cranky kids and those who have had long flights and jet lag.

Fortunately there are chairs.

I did a cruise when I was about 16 weeks along, with my OB-Gyn's blessing (he's into cruising, too). The second trimester is generally the best time for trips as you're through with morning sickness (which I didn't have, ducking now) and generally, unless you're unlucky, you shouldn't have problems. My only problem at that time was I needed a new crown on my wisdom tooth, and had a temp put on right before the cruise, which kept popping off. The funny thing is that my tablemates at our table didn't know I was preggers until the second or third night when someone bought a bottle of wine and offered it around, and I said I couldn't have any and then pointed to my belly.

What's really weird is that my manager's wife who was some months ahead of me in her pregnancy, but over ten years younger than me, had all sorts of problems including worsening asthma and gestational diabetes. Plus, her water broke six weeks early.

One thing I didn't do is request any special consideration, including at embarkation or disembarkation time.

My doctor has cleared me to go. I had pretty crappy morning sickness. I am not stopping my life just because I am pregnant. I booked this vacation long before I became pregnant. Thank you for the opinions. I am just wanting to be safe on this vacation and be aware of anything that is out there and available to me.

Your doctor has no say whether you can board the ship or not. All he/ she has to say in the letter you must present is how far along in your pregnancy you will be on the last day of your cruise. READ the Carnival website clear rules as to cruising while pregnant. They enforce those rules with no exceptions Meet the rules or you do not board the ship and you get no refund..

Sail is correct. No cruise line cares whether your doctor clears you or not. They require the physician to document date of last period/length of pregnancy. You can be an Olympic athlete of pregnancy and 26 weeks and you will not cruise. You can be just 18 weeks but without documentation, you will not cruise.

Get travel insurance. Should you require the services of the ship's physician for anything, they may require you to seek additional medical treatment at the next port as a cautionary,

And no, there is nothing available to you.