Airfare

joepeka

Non-stop , flight times are very important. I usually fly Spirit ( 4 airports within 2 1/2 hour drive.)

I am booked for Jan. 2019 on Delta this time , prices were decent. I had booked 1 way for 256.00 ( 2 people).

Sat. Flight time was excellent coming home.

Friday flight down was 296.00 (2 people) Applied forDelta CC and will get 200.00 back.

So R/T will be 352.00 total.

Good price, great times, non-stop.

Always book 1 Way tix

I fly Southwest ALL the time. You can check schedules anywhere, but you can only check Southwest prices on the Southwest site. Some tips for booking Southwest flights:

1) Book as far in advance as possible. Right now Southwest is only booking up through January 9, 2019. THIS IS IMPORTANT!! Southwest will "open up" dates after January at some point in the future - when they do you need to be ready to snatch up the low fares as quickly as possible before they sell out. Spring break fares for next year will probably open up around August or so, Check FREQUENTLY. If you go to Southwest.com and click "Book a flight", you'll see "Now accepting reservations through January 06, 2019" with a note that says "On June 28, 2018, we will open our schedule for sale through March 06, 2019"

2) Look at alternate airports. Coming from Chicago, you'll have Midway. Houston, Hobby and Dallas - Love Field.

3) SW does not serve Miami, but they DO serve Fort Lauderdale.

4) If you're willing to drive a little, you can sometimes save a ton. For instance, if you live around Philadelphia, you can pay a ton of money to fly from Philly or you can often fly at a fraction of the cost if you're willing to drive 90 miles and fly out of Baltimore.

5) Be flexible with travel DATES too. For instance, if you have two people, it can sometimes be cheaper to fly back on Monday than Sunday - so much so that a hotel room may more than pay for itself and extend your vacation a day or two.

6) Southwest will let EACH PERSON check TWO bags for free, up to 50lbs each. Take that into consideration if you pack heavily for your cruise. Other airlines will nickel and dime you on baggage.

7) Watch for sales. Southwest has frequent sales.

Hope this helps someone.

I’m waiting for Southwest too, they open up Jan/Feb flights on June 28. The dates are posted on their website. I find that if using miles to fly its best to book right when they open for Southwest and JetBlue. Right now flights for Feb are more expensive then April but I wanted to cruise in Feb next year so I booked it. At least the cruise rate was cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a difficult time finding a good rate to fly from Newark to Miami. I've never had a problem finding a decent fare until this year. We finally had to bite the bullet and pay $410 from Newark and returning to La Guardia. It's going to cost quite a bit to get home to NJ from there also.

Now I'm looking for flights to Tampa. Same problem. Also, it seems the airlines have a ton of very early morning flights but I can't find one after 11:00 until late in the day. And those later flights are $100 -$200 more expensive.

And yet I've been getting alerts for RT flights to Europe for less than $500. Just yesterday got $368 to Rome RT. It's crazy this year

I don't know about flights the week of Spring Break, but I find that Southwest's prices are lowest around 90-120 days out. Sometimes they get that low again if there is a sale, but I've not seen them lower either before or after that time. Late, on a Tuesday night is a good time to book. I've seen prices drop significantly on that night for just a few hours. Next day they are back up again. Getting the best price requires some diligence.

Since Southwest only has fares listed 6 months out, I was on my laptop logged in at midnight on 6/1 for a 12/1 flight from Hartford to Fort Lauderdale. AT 12:01 am, they were posted and I got non stop RT for $210. Haven't purchased tickets for that price since maybe 5 years ago. (maybe even longer) Other search engines brought in prices averaging $100 over that for other airlines and those did not offer free checked baggage.

I am not a huge Southwest fan but I always check them anyway.

I check airfare every 4 days once I book a trip.

I do a decent amount of travel for work....*hate* economy. It really gets to you after a while....

For our upcoming October cruise, I snagged 1st class flights from DC to Miami. It was only $300 more to upgrade our seats from economy, for 2x people, round trip. Luggage alone would be $50-100! So, yeah, seemed like a no brainer. Guess it's all about booking *really* far ahead of time.

Traveling at peak time, I would suggest checking 1st class fares. In the past, from NY to Florida or Houston during President's week, I have flown 1st class cheaper than I would have paid for coach. Especially when you add in the cost of baggage and seat assignment. Good Luck~

I'll repeat what I said in this thread.... the order which I book a cruise is as follows: Cruise, Travel Insurance (for the pre-existing condition waiver), Airline Tickets, Hotel.

When I booked my cruise in late March, I checked the flights from SMF to FLL/MIA and found a good-priced flight ($324) that left SMF at 8 AM PT, and arrived in FLL at 8:18 PM with a corresponding flight departing 1:30 PM ET the same day the ship docks in Miami (at 7 AM) and arrives in SMF at 8:15 PM PT. Flash forward to early June, and that same exact flight is now $659. A slightly different return flight (going through IAH instead of IAD) is $535. Are there still low-prices flights available? Yes.... but only if I want to SMF at midnight or 6 AM and leave FLL after 5 PM.

All those in the room, who is extremely enthusiastic about arriving at the airport at 5 AM to make a 6 AM flight? Who loves overnight flights? And how about spending the entire day after leaving the ship for your 7 PM flight home? Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? *crickets*

I'll repeat what I said in this thread.... the order which I book a cruise is as follows: Cruise' date=' Travel Insurance (for the pre-existing condition waiver), Airline Tickets, Hotel.

When I booked my cruise in late March, I checked the flights from SMF to FLL/MIA and found a good-priced flight ($324) that left SMF at 8 AM PT, and arrived in FLL at 8:18 PM with a corresponding flight departing 1:30 PM ET the same day the ship docks in Miami (at 7 AM) and arrives in SMF at 8:15 PM PT. Flash forward to early June, and that same exact flight is now $659. A slightly different return flight (going through IAH instead of IAD) is $535. Are there still low-prices flights available? Yes.... but only if I want to SMF at midnight or 6 AM and leave FLL after 5 PM.

All those in the room, who is extremely enthusiastic about arriving at the airport at 5 AM to make a 6 AM flight? Who loves overnight flights? And how about spending the entire day after leaving the ship for your 7 PM flight home? Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? *crickets*

Curiosity; which airline and do you check luggage when flying?

I too fly from SMF to cruise and always check all FL airports and then add in Lyft costs and baggage fees for total cost to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, it is outrageous! I usually book AS SOON AS FLIGHTS OPEN for the best price. I usually email Southwest requesting date mine will open, and then jump on them. My daughter argued that it’s better to wait until just before flying to book, but I proved her wrong this past cruise. I booked in June for my January cruise on the day my dates became available. I got a non stop flight from Buffalo to Ft Lauderdale for $170pp. She waited, and it was astronomical. She decided to drive. I’m now on the lookout for my March 1 flight. It probably won’t be available until end of July or August.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just booked our flights to San Juan Thursday when flights opened on Southwest. Got nonstop flights from Baltimore for $122 pp each way with pretty good flight times.

Outbound flight is already up to $174pp with the flight home is now $138pp.

We have to drive to Baltimore from Philly but glad to do it as the nonstop flights from Philly on AA are $439pp plus bag fees.

Southwest does not fly to San Juan from Philly nonstop

Bill

Since Southwest only has fares listed 6 months out, I was on my laptop logged in at midnight on 6/1 for a 12/1 flight from Hartford to Fort Lauderdale. AT 12:01 am, they were posted and I got non stop RT for $210. Haven't purchased tickets for that price since maybe 5 years ago. (maybe even longer) Other search engines brought in prices averaging $100 over that for other airlines and those did not offer free checked baggage.

I am not a huge Southwest fan but I always check them anyway.

I check airfare every 4 days once I book a trip.

Southwest does not list fares "six months out". They initially list then closer to eight months out, then list more when inventory demands. There is no set schedule. For instance, right now they are booking through June 9, which is slightly more than six months, and on June 28 they are releasing fares and schedules through March 9, which is a little over eight months out.

The point is, if you expect southwest to release fares exactly six months out, you're almost certainly going to be too early or too late to get the lowest fares.

12/1 fares were listed in late April, not on 6/1.

Who loves overnight flights?
I do! They mean that I get to spend the days doing useful stuff at my destination rather than sitting on aircraft.

But, like everything else in this thread, whether it'll work for a particular trip depends on where you're going and how much you're prepared to pay.

Curiosity; which airline and do you check luggage when flying?

United Airlines. Southwest was actually MORE expensive at the time of booking. Yes, I have luggage.

Of course, this is my first trip in Miami. Flight is in September.

The only time (Knock on wood) I have had trouble with connecting flights was on a trip to Cancun in 2014 with United. EVERY flight of four was delayed, one was cancelled, and we missed a connection which was the last flight that day. I will never fly United again, especially if it involves connecting flights. I am lucky enough be near a major airport that I can get to many places nonstop (for a fee of course).

We, also, missed a connection once with United, going from Dallas to Chicago, finishing in Buffalo. They were awful! Would not help us out at all. I will not go into the long story here, but will just say we swore off United. Well, United was our cheapest option, once again, to fly out to our son’s in Texas, and we thought long and hard before booking it. Wish us luck, as we fly out tomorrow morning for our grandson’s high school graduation. As for Frontier—my daughter swears by it—but I’m a little nervous booking with an airline that offers only one flight in a day to my location, and only every other day. Perhaps if I wasn’t trying to catch a cruise ship I’d try it. Another option, if we allow a lot more time, is Amtrak train. It will take us 2 days to get to Florida by train. We take it to our daughter’s house in Minot, ND because it saves us mega bucks, and we enjoy the scenery and relaxed atmosphere, dinning in dinning car, and glasses of wine in the observation car.

Southwest does not list fares "six months out". They initially list then closer to eight months out, then list more when inventory demands. There is no set schedule. For instance, right now they are booking through June 9, which is slightly more than six months, and on June 28 they are releasing fares and schedules through March 9, which is a little over eight months out.

The point is, if you expect southwest to release fares exactly six months out, you're almost certainly going to be too early or too late to get the lowest fares.

12/1 fares were listed in late April, not on 6/1.

Thanks for the heads up when Southwest opens for my March flight! 👍

All those in the room' date=' who is extremely enthusiastic about arriving at the airport at 5 AM to make a 6 AM flight? Who loves overnight flights? And how about spending the entire day after leaving the ship for your 7 PM flight home? Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? *crickets*

I actually love early morning flights! First, security is almost never a long line! Second, the airport is much less crowded, which I like. Finally, if your flight gets delayed or canceled, there is still an opportunity to jump on another flight, or arrange different travel plans.

I’m waiting for Southwest too, they open up Jan/Feb flights on June 28. The dates are posted on their website. I find that if using miles to fly its best to book right when they open for Southwest and JetBlue. Right now flights for Feb are more expensive then April but I wanted to cruise in Feb next year so I booked it. At least the cruise rate was cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We found that flights were always more money in February, also. And definitely more money around the Presidents Holiday for school children, when many families choose a winter break vacation.

I'll repeat what I said in this thread.... the order which I book a cruise is as follows: Cruise' date=' Travel Insurance (for the pre-existing condition waiver), Airline Tickets, Hotel.

I intentionally look for first flights of the day, usually a 6:00 am flight, and I am ALWAYS there by 4:00am—2 hours prior. I would have an anxiety attack if I didn’t allow plenty of time. That’s just me. I am definitely not a last minute or spur of the moment gal! Lol!

Another thread that was obviously moved from another forum...particularly with gems like this, LOL

Late, on a Tuesday night is a good time to book. I've seen prices drop significantly on that night for just a few hours. Next day they are back up again.

I'm looking at flights to Florida as well as Houston. Flying from Chicago/Milwaukee to Houston is $713 for two people. Flying to any of the Florida ports (other than Jacksonville) is over $1100. Might just have to fly to Jacksonville and drive to Port Canaveral. Wouldn't want to drive to Miami or Fll.

Have you been watching Southwest? You should be able to get round trip for 4 persons for about $600 - $700 if you learn how to play the "Southwest game." This means grabbing fares as soon as they open their new dates. For example, Southwest just opened, on May 31, their schedules and fares through Jan 6. Folks booking on that day (or soon thereafter) can usually take advantage of their really low fares (which include 2 pieces of luggage). Keep in mind that SW does not show-up on many of the normal internet booking engines (because SW does not pay commissions) so you have to use their web site.

Hank

Have you been watching Southwest? You should be able to get round trip for 4 persons for about $600 - $700 if you learn how to play the "Southwest game." This means grabbing fares as soon as they open their new dates. For example, Southwest just opened, on May 31, their schedules and fares through Jan 6. Folks booking on that day (or soon thereafter) can usually take advantage of their really low fares (which include 2 pieces of luggage). Keep in mind that SW does not show-up on many of the normal internet booking engines (because SW does not pay commissions) so you have to use their web site.

Hank

Yup! Exactly what I do! I swear by this process, as it has proved the best for us for years for booking our flights down to our cruises.

I have looked at Milwaukee (my preferred-also a large Southwest hub), Chicago, and also Midway.

Two kind of interesting things (at least to me as an aviation nerd):

1) Southwest doesn't technically have any hubs...or at least anything they call a hub. Essentially, they act as such, but Southwest doesn't call them such. By number of departures, their largest "focus cities" are Chicago (which is Midway...they're the same thing), Baltimore, Vegas, Denver (which grew MASSIVELY after opening barely a decade ago), and Phoenix.

2) Milwaukee is actually a fairly small operation for Southwest - I'm not sure how many daily departures they have, but as far as Southwest goes, it's not even in the top 20.

Two kind of interesting things (at least to me as an aviation nerd):

1) Southwest doesn't technically have any hubs...or at least anything they call a hub. Essentially, they act as such, but Southwest doesn't call them such. By number of departures, their largest "focus cities" are Chicago (which is Midway...they're the same thing), Baltimore, Vegas, Denver (which grew MASSIVELY after opening barely a decade ago), and Phoenix.

2) Milwaukee is actually a fairly small operation for Southwest - I'm not sure how many daily departures they have, but as far as Southwest goes, it's not even in the top 20.

I guess I misspoke. I meant that as far as MKE goes, Southwest is the major provider. Midwest used to be our main provider before they closed in 2010. Only got to fly them once, but it was definitely the best flight I've ever had! For anyone who doesn't know, they didn't have first class, everybody was first class for the price of an economy seat!

Hank

Do you have any idea when fares for late March 2019 will open?