Carnival Triumph to be “Sunshined”

djcass4199

Hope Triumph gets Sunshine's Serenity waterfall pool. That would be awesome!

Ha, or really if the Triumph had any Serenity at all. It was the hardest cruise I've ever been on as far as not being surrounded by under 12 year olds.

Carnival seems to have decided to go in a certain direction which does not fit our needs as well as before. As a result we are now cruising mostly with Princess and seeing the world.

no regrets here but do wish they would combine their loyalty programs but that does not seem to be in the cards.

We just sailed Princess for the first time and generally liked it. It does some things better than Carnival, no doubt. I too wish there would be some combining of the loyalty program.

Quick check-in story. Lady behind the counter is giving us the full 'new cruiser, blue card' description. 'Ma'am, you don't need to do that. We've sailed a lot. Thanks anyways.' :)

Ha, or really if the Triumph had any Serenity at all. It was the hardest cruise I've ever been on as far as not being surrounded by under 12 year olds.

We're booked for Triumph in September, and that is my only concern. :( Hopefully, since school will have started, less kids on board?

We're booked for Triumph in September, and that is my only concern. :( Hopefully, since school will have started, less kids on board?

Hi Katibug, from what I understand is that it isn't a big deal for some local families to take their small ones out of school for a Friday, Monday. Especially if they are avoiding an influx of tourist for an event. (labor day/saints game).

One family noted, if they Airbnb their house for an event it pays for the short cruise. Good luck!

Cool... following this thread. Sailing on triumph after the dry dock date!

My triumph cruise for April 25 - 29th booking has dissapeared. Rumor has it the sailing as been canceled to extend the dry dock. My PVP said he would look into it but I havent heard back yet.

The way I look at it is that Carnival is the one footing the bill for the refurb. of their older boats and for the build of newer boats. Therefore they have the choice to do them as they see fit. I'm sure the details are based on the ship being profitable and enjoyable by the majority of cruisers. They also take into consideration the competition and how they might be able to attract cruisers from other lines.

There are too many cruise lines and ships out there, to sit and beat one cruise line to death over one ship's attributes or lack there of.

My two main goals in cruising is to be taken to new or favorite locations, while enjoying being out on the open ocean. All the rest is icing on the cake. Most of the shows are pretty lackluster...very few "wow" moments. If I want a vacation without children, then I will go to an adult resort.

A cruise will never be 100% what you "want". But for the cost and value, it is obviously very appealing to a lot of people. Choose the cruise line and ship carefully for what matters to you and it should be very rewarding.

Happy cruising everyone.

My triumph cruise for April 25 - 29th booking has dissapeared. Rumor has it the sailing as been canceled to extend the dry dock. My PVP said he would look into it but I havent heard back yet.

Interesting.

Hi Katibug, from what I understand is that it isn't a big deal for some local families to take their small ones out of school for a Friday, Monday. Especially if they are avoiding an influx of tourist for an event. (labor day/saints game).

One family noted, if they Airbnb their house for an event it pays for the short cruise. Good luck!

Ours is a 5-day, starting on Monday, so hopefully we'll be fine. :) I like kids, just hoping not to be overrun!

Mine is May 27. A 2 weeker to the Panama Canal. I really really hope there isn't any further extension.

She was originally scheduled for a longer dry dock then it was shortened. Have you looked to see if the cruises between 4/15 and yours still exist? If not, I am guessing they have returned to the original plan.

Edit: The only cruise I see in April for her is the 4/29 out of Norfolk.

Triumph yes first date April 29 out of norfolk then May 6 May 12 May 17 I’m on last one

So hopefully it will be done before May

I thought they just did it two years ago could be wrong

How often do they go to dry dock ?

Edited by crazy4tweety
put wrong date in/ spelling

Triumph yes first date April 29 out of norfolk then May 6 May 12 May 17 I’m on last one

So hopefully it will be done before May

I thought they just did it two years ago could be wrong

How often do they go to dry dock ?

I am also on the 5/17 and am sure she will be out of dry dock by then. The poster however may lose those late april cruises....

Renaming a ship is not deception and a new ship in an old hull is still a new ship in an old hull. Carnival's ship count remains the same. The hull plate on the ship remains the same. Nobody should be fooled.

Renaming it isn't; saying it is a new ship is.

I heard from the same service desk person on Horizon that told me about the Triumph refurb that the larger ships after the Panorama will go back to the full showroom design. I sure hope this is true as I really hate that design on Vista class and sunshine..

Pat

I heard this on Horizon.

Also on Horizon, Limelight was a nightclub, and sometimes during the cruise, the late comedy show was in Liquid Lounge, but I'm keeping that a secret.

I heard this on Horizon.

Also on Horizon, Limelight was a nightclub, and sometimes during the cruise, the late comedy show was in Liquid Lounge, but I'm keeping that a secret.

Don’t tell the Sunshine haters, that’s exactly what occurred on the Sunshine when we sailed on her 3 weeks ago....but I believe they’ll assert the Liquid Lounge still too small for comedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t tell the Sunshine haters, that’s exactly what occurred on the Sunshine when we sailed on her 3 weeks ago....but I believe they’ll assert the Liquid Lounge still too small for comedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to see a comparison of the number of seats in the liquid lounge compared to comedy clubs on Conquest and Dream class ships. That would tell the tale.

The way I look at it is that Carnival is the one footing the bill for the refurb. of their older boats and for the build of newer boats. Therefore they have the choice to do them as they see fit. I'm sure the details are based on the ship being profitable and enjoyable by the majority of cruisers. They also take into consideration the competition and how they might be able to attract cruisers from other lines.

There are too many cruise lines and ships out there, to sit and beat one cruise line to death over one ship's attributes or lack there of.

My two main goals in cruising is to be taken to new or favorite locations, while enjoying being out on the open ocean. All the rest is icing on the cake. Most of the shows are pretty lackluster...very few "wow" moments. If I want a vacation without children, then I will go to an adult resort.

A cruise will never be 100% what you "want". But for the cost and value, it is obviously very appealing to a lot of people. Choose the cruise line and ship carefully for what matters to you and it should be very rewarding.

Happy cruising everyone.

👍🏼👍🏼

I had to comment ; if only to say that I could not agree more with your post.

Been on that ship six times now (1 time Destiny) . If anything I got use to the ole girl ;). But that itsy bitsy comedy club is the pits.

The best thing about it is where you enter at the front of the club and exit to the rear of the club towards the aft elevators.:halo:

Funny you mention the "auxiliary generators" that Carnival promised to install. I don't believe the Sunshine got this, and I don't believe any of Carnival's ships received these. Carnival found that a much less expensive rerouting of the power cables from the forward engine room to outside the after engine room, would, in the case of an engine room fire like the Splendor or Triumph, that total power would not be lost, and so this was the permanent fix for the problem, much less costly than a new generator, and they are hoping that the concept of "additional auxiliary generator for essential hotel services" will quietly fade into history. I believe Sunshine was the first ship to have this cabling rerouted. The other reason the shipyard was extended was to repair/replace the fire suppression systems, that were found to be systemically flawed in most of the ships built at Fincantieri, and these flaws were never discovered despite onboard testing and maintenance, and annual inspection and testing by a third party fire equipment company. Necessary modifications? Yes. But I hardly think that what amounts to a "maritime recall" is worthy of being called a "significant improvement".

But, to each their own. Be happy with the Sunshine, and the "new" Triumph, just know that at their current age, the maintenance costs during drydocking (and they must drydock twice as often as newer ships) has increased greatly just for hull and piping repairs/renewals, and so either fares will rise for an older ship, or costs will be shaved elsewhere.

Hello! Thank you again for all of the insight you provide. I read your posts as if they were gospel. ( I think engineers make the modern world go 'round. )

I get the impression that you don't approve of these re-makes of older ships. Is that the case? I am almost nervous about boarding Sunshine again if you don't feel she is safe.

Hello! Thank you again for all of the insight you provide. I read your posts as if they were gospel. ( I think engineers make the modern world go 'round. )

I get the impression that you don't approve of these re-makes of older ships. Is that the case? I am almost nervous about boarding Sunshine again if you don't feel she is safe.

Sunshine is no less safe than any other Carnival ship out there. I believe that the modifications to reroute the power cabling has been completed on all the Destiny class and its derivatives (almost all Carnival ships), so the likelihood of another Splendor or Triumph total loss of power is greatly reduced. Carnival has modified these ships to be more like all the other cruise ships out there (the defect that caused the Triumph problem seems to be limited to Fincantieri designs) in their redundancy of power sources. All that I am saying is that Carnival is being somewhat coy about the promise they made immediately after the Triumph fire, to install new generators to provide passenger services when the main power failed. They have not done this, but did something that is just as good, by segregating the two engine rooms. It's not a matter of safety, but one of PR and semantics.

As for "remake" of older ships, there is no difference in the safety of the vessel, it was all essentially front of house, so the infrastructure that provides the safety and stability of the vessel are not affected, it's just that it ain't a new ship, it's a refurbished old ship, and you get more problems the older the ship. Will there be a serious problem in the near future for Sunshine? Can't tell, but then again, the Vista could have a major problem tomorrow. Breakdowns happen, accidents happen. As another poster said, it's all about the cost/benefit ratio, and Carnival has decided that the cost of a "make-over" of Triumph is less than the benefit from new bells and whistles that generate revenue, and that the cost of a new ship would be more than the benefit of the revenue that new ship could earn in the same market and demographic that the "new" Triumph will sail in.