Carnival Triumph to be “Sunshined”

djcass4199

All that I am saying is that Carnival is being somewhat coy about the promise they made immediately after the Triumph fire, to install new generators to provide passenger services when the main power failed. They have not done this, but did something that is just as good, by segregating the two engine rooms. It's not a matter of safety, but one of PR and semantics.

I had thought these big white vented boxes I saw on my last 2 cruises were generators, I don't recall seeing these on my 2010 and before cruises.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-ecstasy-4/member-8/42126/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-miracle-295/sun-decks-400854/sun-decks--v17908528/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-miracle-295/sun-decks-400854/sun-decks--v17906437/

They are generators. I think they are on all except the newest Carnival ships. I've been on cruises where they periodically test them.

They are generators. I think they are on all except the newest Carnival ships. I've been on cruises where they periodically test them.

That's what I thought, they looked like the big emergency generator box at a former workplace.

Yes, those were leased generators that were installed as a temporary fix until the rerouting of the main power cables could be done. These still require some time to reconnect the generator to the main or emergency power panels. I would be surprised if class allows these to remain very much longer, as this does not meet the rules for permanent electrical installations.

I get the impression that you don't approve of these re-makes of older ships. Is that the case? I am almost nervous about boarding Sunshine again if you don't feel she is safe.

How many staff or passengers were injured or killed in the horrible horrible Splendor or Triumph incidents ? Take a guess .

The answer is 0 .Consider how many people have been killed or injured driving to or from their cruises .

People have a problem with risk assessment .

This is what I thought as well. Here is the link to a drone video of the Glory made this month with a big white box behind the whaletale

And here is a link that has pictures that are obviously older because that big white box isn't there.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Carnival-Glory-730

Let's hope these links work!

This is what I thought as well. Here is the link to a drone video of the Glory made this month with a big white box behind the whaletale

And here is a link that has pictures that are obviously older because that big white box isn't there.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Carnival-Glory-730

Let's hope these links work!

Yeah, that one and the one on the Ecstasy looked like permanent installations. The one on the Miracle was definitely one of the temporary ones Cheng mentioned. Maybe these were added when both ships had dry docks around the same time in early 2017.

Yeah, that one and the one on the Ecstasy looked like permanent installations. The one on the Miracle was definitely one of the temporary ones Cheng mentioned. Maybe these were added when both ships had dry docks around the same time in early 2017.

Haven't seen that before, and yes, that does look like a permanent generator installation, so I'm wrong about them not going forward with this. Based on the size of the "box" and looking around the industry, to get a 10,000 volt generator (required to run the AC), I don't see any that have enough power and would fit in that space. To run basic hotel services and one AC chiller would be at least 4Mw, and that is about half the size of the Triumph's smaller main diesel generators. And even at 4Mw, I'm not sure the system could handle the starting surge of one of the chillers. So, my guess is that this is a 480 volt generator, in the 2Mw range, which could power lights, refrigeration, galleys, elevators, the all important toilets and water, and ventilation fans, but no AC.

My question is how long Carnival will go without officially announcing what is happening with Triumph. You would think if they are adding staterooms they would make the announcement and add those staterooms to the deck plans for the post dry dock cruises so they could actually sell those rooms.

It has been rumored for a long time. Her drydock slot is currently February 25 - April 15, 2019, a solid 6 weeks. Sunshine's makeover was 2 months but if I recall correctly they had to add a deck to her in the forecastle, something that Triumph already has. They can do a lot in 6 weeks. I applaud the seeming decision to move forward.

I agree for a $100-150 million they get loads of improvements for 1/10 the cost of a new ship.

I agree for a $100-150 million they get loads of improvements for 1/10 the cost of a new ship.

The Dream Class cost about $750 million, is bigger and holds more people. So it’s more like 1/5 to 1/4 the cost. and you don’t have the old ship when you’re done and they are taking an existing revenue stream completely out of commission for an additional month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My question is how long Carnival will go without officially announcing what is happening with Triumph. You would think if they are adding staterooms they would make the announcement and add those staterooms to the deck plans for the post dry dock cruises so they could actually sell those rooms.

There would only be between 80-130 staterooms being added. That’s not much inventory to sell, and there’s still plenty of time even for the April 2019 sailings if it gets announced this summer.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

There would only be between 80-130 staterooms being added. That’s not much inventory to sell, and there’s still plenty of time even for the April 2019 sailings if it gets announced this summer.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

There could also be reclassifications of existing rooms if they follow the same things done to Sunshine. These would include Captain’s suites, Grand ocean views, Vista suites in the aft and other changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There could also be reclassifications of existing rooms if they follow the same things done to Sunshine. These would include Captain’s suites, Grand ocean views, Vista suites in the aft and other changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Obviously the cruise line gets a nice return for doing this but strangely enough do not see other cruise lines following this path with their older ships

Obviously the cruise line gets a nice return for doing this but strangely enough do not see other cruise lines following this path with their older ships

They were in a much different world when they did the sunshine. To continue the program implies it is working. Other cruise lines dabbled (royal majesty) but it might have more to do with the older ship market in addition to the economics.

I had a cruise booked for May 2019, but canceled it due to "we didn't like the ports" and I was planning to book a different one for June.

I'm wondering if the prices will go up based on the changes. I'm also wondering if the cabin I book will still be "the cabin I book"!

I had a cruise booked for May 2019, but canceled it due to "we didn't like the ports" and I was planning to book a different one for June.

I'm wondering if the prices will go up based on the changes. I'm also wondering if the cabin I book will still be "the cabin I book"!

Don't know about that but you might get a John Heald .:D

Nope, what other 'lesser' cruise lines do is buy and rebrand older ships. Golden Princess will have a long run with P & O, and she's almost 20.

Personally, I never understood the fascination with new builds. Give me an older, well-maintained ship and a new adventure to a far away place any day.

What does senior cruise director of Carnival Cruise Lines mean (cause that's what he is).

He shows up for big Carnival to-dos . Like Ronald McDonald .

For a minute there, i thought we were going to go without the “required” bashing. I’m sorry, I should have more faith in my fellow posters.