Pickleball- what ships have it?

If you could have an imaginary net you could use the basketball court

The net used for volleyball could be re purposed and the court is big enough, but not sure the ship would support it (maybe on a TA).

Biker, who was part of the winning pickleball team (tournament/equipment set up by cruisers) on a Brilliance TA.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We were just on Serenade of the Seas and I was happy to see Pickleball offered in the Cruise Compass. It was played on the sports court using a portable net. Unfortunately for our sailing (Norway, Arctic Circle) the weather did not cooperate. Both days that Pickleball was offered it was not possible to play.

I spoke to the sports activity staff and he said that Pickleball was first started as an activity on the Transatlantic crossing this spring. It was popular on TA but since then had not had much participation - probably due to weather and the port intensive itineraries.

I am wondering if anyone has noticed other ships offering Pickleball. Maybe it is just a test on Serenade or maybe it is coming fleet-wide. Just interested in what other folks may have have seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Before anyone asks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickleball

"Pickleball is a paddle sport (similar to a racquet sport) that combines elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. Two or four players use solid paddles made of wood or composite materials to hit a perforated polymer ball, similar to a Wiffle Ball, over a net. The sport shares features of other racquet sports, the dimensions and layout of a badminton court, and a net and rules somewhat similar to tennis, with several modifications. Pickleball was invented in the mid 1960s as a children's backyard pastime but has become one of America's most popular growing sports among all ages."

• Thanks 1

About a year ago I had sent an email to Laly Yera-Rodriguez, who was Royal’s VP of customer relations at the time. I suggested including Pickleball as an activity on Royal ships. She actually replied and said they would look into. Hopefully this helped get the ball rolling and they are beginning to deploy this to the fleet!

• Like 2

About a year ago I had sent an email to Laly Yera-Rodriguez, who was Royal’s VP of customer relations at the time. I suggested including Pickleball as an activity on Royal ships. She actually replied and said they would look into. Hopefully this helped get the ball rolling and they are beginning to deploy this to the fleet!

Pun intended.;p

• 2 months later...

I spoke to the sports activity staff and he said that Pickleball was first started as an activity on the Transatlantic crossing this spring. It was popular on TA but since then had not had much participation - probably due to weather and the port intensive itineraries.

Last November on Brilliance of the Seas' westbound Transatlantic crossing we had Pickleball Open Play from 9 AM to 11 AM every sea day... and we had about 20 players most days. First couple days we did some quick 'Learn To Play' Clinics and it took off from there.

1125630351_IMG_4211a-001.JPG.0564958095540d9628b4ab29a731b59c.JPG

1671238626_IMG_4212a-001.JPG.585090d7d5bcc121925e2718ed544034.JPG

1725741596_IMG_6710a.JPG.6e49cdf5f2da3e72fe5e6d9f541cd578.JPG

Last November on Brilliance of the Seas' westbound Transatlantic crossing we had Pickleball Open Play from 9 AM to 11 AM every sea day... and we had about 20 players most days. First couple days we did some quick 'Learn To Play' Clinics and it took off from there.

Wow that is awesome! We were on the eastbound Brilliance TA in April this year and there was no Pickleball. [emoji53]

We will be on Allure next week and they do have Pickleball.

We will be on the Symphony TA in October and I checked with Royal and they do not have Pickleball on that ship.

I wish they would just make it standard on all ships. It is a good fit for their primary demographic.

eel, they were playing pickle ball last week on Allure. I had never seen it before. They had three courts set up.

Thanks for the heads up.

I am packing my paddle! Where there a lot of people playing?