Spare card for room lights

123linz123

No, currently this is only on the Vista and newer ships.

You are incorrect. It was in effect on the Breeze in December. The Breeze is a Dream class ship which was built before any of the Vista class.

Edited by Garth2

You are incorrect. It was in effect on the Breeze in December. The Breeze is a Dream class ship which was built before any of the Vista class.

My mistake. I didn't realize older ships were receiving the new power-save system. Did the Breeze always have it or was it added later?

Why do we need to make sure there is power to the room when we are not in it?

For me it's to keep the A/C running. I've found some hotel rooms and cruise ships where taking the card out turns the air off. I like my room to be cold when I get there. I don't want to wait 30 minutes for it to cool back down.

For those asking about card sizes and types, just use a business card. Most of us keep them in our purses or wallets, and we're not out anything if we lose one.

For me it's to keep the A/C running. I've found some hotel rooms and cruise ships where taking the card out turns the air off. I like my room to be cold when I get there. I don't want to wait 30 minutes for it to cool back down.

For those asking about card sizes and types, just use a business card. Most of us keep them in our purses or wallets, and we're not out anything if we lose one.

That doesn't make sense. Are you saying the AC will not work at night unless the lights are kept on?

My mistake. I didn't realize older ships were receiving the new power-save system. Did the Breeze always have it or

Breeze always had it......we were on the Breeze in the Med on her inaugural sailings and it was the first CCL ship we had been on to have it. We came unprepared unknowingly, as it was a new 'innovation' for CCL. But luckily, we had by accident taken one of our room key cards from the hotel we had been in the night before..... and it worked. Have been using it ever since (it is packed in my 'cruise bins' of travel stuff).....LOL!!

That doesn't make sense. Are you saying the AC will not work at night unless the lights are kept on?

The air conditioner is NOT connected to the same line as the light switch. That would be dumb. It is separate, and will run whether the lights are on or off.

Thirty people say no it doesn't. This goofball says it does. Draw your own conclusions.

Some people dart in and out of threads only to bolster post count. Correct answer is irrelevant :D:D:D:D

The air conditioner is NOT connected to the same line as the light switch. That would be dumb. It is separate, and will run whether the lights are on or off.

Exactly my point. It seems that PayitForward seems to think the AC won't work unless the light switch is on. Just clarifying what she meant with her.

Exactly my point. It seems that PayitForward seems to think the AC won't work unless the light switch is on. Just clarifying what she meant with her.

That's not what she said - not at all. She said in some places the AC won't work unless the card is in the slot. The card itself doesn't control the light OR the AC, but it can disable both. This is very common in Australian hotels. Removing the card disables the A/C and the lights, but with the card in, both operate independently of each other.

That's not what she said - not at all. She said in some places the AC won't work unless the card is in the slot. The card itself doesn't control the light OR the AC, but it can disable both. This is very common in Australian hotels. Removing the card disables the A/C and the lights, but with the card in, both operate independently of each other.

This is what she said:

I see it as this is why she keeps a card in the slot but whatever.

This is what she said:

I see it as this is why she keeps a card in the slot but whatever.

OK, follow along here. Yes, she keeps a card in the slot to keep the AC on. But what YOU said was "It seems that PayitForward seems to think the AC won't work unless the light switch is on.".

PayitForward seems to think that the AC won't work unless the card is inserted - which very well may be true. She didn't say a thing about the A/C not working unless the light switch is on. The card slot is NOT the light switch. YOU assumed that "I keep the card in to keep power to the A/C unit" means the same thing as "I keep the card in to keep the lights on, which in turn keeps the A/C on".

Give her credit - she knows what she's talking about. You made a bad assumption.

OK, follow along here. Yes, she keeps a card in the slot to keep the AC on. But what YOU said was "It seems that PayitForward seems to think the AC won't work unless the light switch is on.".

PayitForward seems to think that the AC won't work unless the card is inserted - which very well may be true. She didn't say a thing about the A/C not working unless the light switch is on. The card slot is NOT the light switch. YOU assumed that "I keep the card in to keep power to the A/C unit" means the same thing as "I keep the card in to keep the lights on, which in turn keeps the A/C on".

Give her credit - she knows what she's talking about. You made a bad assumption.

LMAO! Is Payitforward your second persona? If not, you assume too much

LMAO! Is Payitforward your second persona? If not, you assume too much

Actually, I didn't assume anything at all. You came right out and said that PayItForward believed the lights had to be on for the A/C. And, of course, you were completely wrong.

If you're not familiar with the system, the removal of the card (any card) from the slot by the door is essentially a kill switch for the power in the cabin. Of course, you can leave the card in and still turn off the lights manually, like at night, and still continue to have power to the outlets to charge electronics, power fans, etc.

If you want to charge your electronics.

This. I realized it controlled the lights on Vista but I'm a dummy & didnt realize it controlled the outlets. It was daytime in a balcony so I didnt need lights. I couldn't get my phone to charge. I tested other electronics to ensure it wasnt my plug. I was just about to call engineering to report our broken outlets when my boyfriend came back & fixed it by sticking the card back in :o. Oops.

To answer the original question, we worked it using a S&S from a previous cruise & later 1 of my boyfriend's business cards.

For our lights, we have used a little business card given to us by our steward or once from guest services.

Defunct credit cards or empty gift cards work as well, but also as a "key" for the room safe, if the ship uses that system.