Meet and Greet Activities

Sailaway John

When you attend a Meet and Greet what activities are usually done . . . anything special or just meeting and talking with you fellow passengers and then arranging what you want to do.

Thanks for info that you send.

It can vary.

Most meet and greets I’ve done, were just that meet and greet and have a chat.

Some might arrange a cabin crawl, which can be interesting if you want to see different cabin classes. Or a slot pulls. Personally there are normally just a few folk from the roll call I’m interested in meeting.

Usually the person that arranges the M&G has invited some staff to attend, for example the Captain, Cruise Director, etc. Not all so invited can make it to the M&G, but some of those that do may speak for a few minutes or have a Q&A with the group.

Gift exchanges can be interesting. Each person that wants to participate brings a wrapped item produced in their home city or state.

Of course, I once got a map of Houston with the airport shop price sticker on it.

More thoughtful people bring things like hot sauce, jam, candy etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Different style for different folks. I'll invite 12 Ship's Officers and when they all arrive, I'll do the introductions and give them 2 minutes each to say what ever they want and usually the Cruise Director takes three times more to sell all the entertainment onboard the ship. If those attending want a group photo with the Officers, we do it then and after the photo, half of the Officers will leave. I will then acknowledge those attending that are 1st Timers on a Cruise Ship, 1st time to this Itinerary (Alaska), those with Anniversary, Birthdays, Retirements and ask for any Special reason for taking this cruise. Then we do the Meet & Greet mixing. All this takes about 1 1/2 hours. Many times we'll get Junior Officers attending just to find out what we are doing. On my Hawaii Cruise, I will do a second Meet & Greet call "Hawaiian Novelty Gift Exchange". It's on a sea day returning to our home port and half the time the Hawaiian Ambassadors will join in with the Exchange. A ten dollar novelty gift that is purchased on the Island. Stuff like Hawaiian Sea Salt, Coconut Bra, Spam Cook Book, Tiki Mug, Mac Chocolate Nuts, Hawaiian Island Cookies, Shaking Hula Dancers, Island Flavored Jams, and Sarong Wrap. It's always a Blast, watching a guy put on his Coconut Bra. After each M&G event, all are give a custom book mark I make for that specific cruise. Crazy, yes and I love it and so does all those attending. It's all about having fun.......

Different style for different folks. I'll invite 12 Ship's Officers and when they all arrive, I'll do the introductions and give them 2 minutes each to say what ever they want and usually the Cruise Director takes three times more to sell all the entertainment onboard the ship. If those attending want a group photo with the Officers, we do it then and after the photo, half of the Officers will leave. I will then acknowledge those attending that are 1st Timers on a Cruise Ship, 1st time to this Itinerary (Alaska), those with Anniversary, Birthdays, Retirements and ask for any Special reason for taking this cruise. Then we do the Meet & Greet mixing. All this takes about 1 1/2 hours. Many times we'll get Junior Officers attending just to find out what we are doing. On my Hawaii Cruise, I will do a second Meet & Greet call "Hawaiian Novelty Gift Exchange". It's on a sea day returning to our home port and half the time the Hawaiian Ambassadors will join in with the Exchange. A ten dollar novelty gift that is purchased on the Island. Stuff like Hawaiian Sea Salt, Coconut Bra, Spam Cook Book, Tiki Mug, Mac Chocolate Nuts, Hawaiian Island Cookies, Shaking Hula Dancers, Island Flavored Jams, and Sarong Wrap. It's always a Blast, watching a guy put on his Coconut Bra. After each M&G event, all are give a custom book mark I make for that specific cruise. Crazy, yes and I love it and so does all those attending. It's all about having fun.......

Sounds like you are an exceptional planner, hope I am on a ship with you sometime!!

I want to sal with you.....great job;)

Your M&Gs sound like fun!! I want to go on one of your cruises.:D

We are on Grand Princess this July 5th to Alaska. We have 52 members posting and have about 42 planning to attend. I'll be acknowledging 5 - anniversary, 2 - birthdays, 2 - retirements, 4 - 1st time to Alaska and 1 - 1st time on a Princess ship.

It is totally up to the organizer with some input from the participants.

In Japan, we had a group which ended up with all attendees being from the US. We had shared info on line about various ports, options, etc. The organizer had print outs which provided hard copy of much of this information as well as some additional info. A couple of people pointed out that they had a space or two in their private excursions if anyone was interested. After introductions, we went thru each port--the people who had been there before answering questions, etc. We basically focused on how to get the most out of our cruise. We didn't spend time on social aspects during the meeting other than sharing names and cabins.

However, one good part was that it provided some "familiar faces" around the ship. One evening, I went into town with someone from the M&G as each of our cabin mates had decided to stay in for the evening....and we certainly felt better going together. Other times, some of us met for lunch.

They can vary quite a bit ... depending on the organizer. ;)

And the participants too for sure! I’ve been to some where I’ve met people that I still keep in touch with years later.

I’ve also been to some where I’ve met people from whom I’ve then spent the remainder of my cruise hiding from because they were just that irritating. 🤪🤪😄😄

You have been given a number of ideas regarding what one can but I will tell you what one must not do. You are not allowed to discuss private excursions nor are you allowed to collect funds from those who may be participating in any private excursions. Princess does not allow this at all. If you want to discuss these things then just do it later in private.

We are on Grand Princess this July 5th to Alaska. We have 52 members posting and have about 42 planning to attend. I'll be acknowledging 5 - anniversary, 2 - birthdays, 2 - retirements, 4 - 1st time to Alaska and 1 - 1st time on a Princess ship.

I can't wait for our Meet and Greet. Just a few more days!

Enjoy your Alaska cruise. Please pose how your Meet & Greet goes.

I’m on the Majestic in March 2019, Sydney to Hong Kong.

The Princess contact person is adamant abour our Meet & Greet being in the Hollywood Conservative.

One of our M & G members will be on the Majestic before our cruise & will investigate with the ships staff about any other options for a meeting.

Tom😎

I was extremely disappointed with the M&G I had arranged last month on the Crown. I wrote out letters to a dozen of the officers, hand addressed to each and gave them to the passenger services desk as soon as boarding to have them delivered. The M&G was set for the next day and had been "on the books" with Princess for months. Only three officers showed up (naturally, the CD who was the only one that spoke). No senior officers. And, yes, one person in our large group was insensitive/ignorant enough to talk about filling her private tour before the officers left the M&G. I've never had or seen that happen before. Sigh...

Hope our next one in a few days goes better. Thankfully, I did not plan this one...

Tom, If I remember correctly, your Majestic Meet & Greet is scheduled for the Hollywood Conservatory is in an odd area. On Deck 17 forward, with a great view of where the ship is going. It also have a large floor sized Chest Board, about a dozen large Topiaries, and half shelled seating pods not connecting to anything. It's nothing like the Grand Class Ship's Skywalker Lounge and the Grand's One5 Lounge. I think the Allegro Dining Room will work out much better, as on our Maiden Voyage's Meet & Greet. Tom, they may have changed the Conservatory's layout. I'll give you a heads up on our Alaska cruise. Captain Ron Wilson is not returning and the new Captain is Captain John Harry Smith, rotating with Captain Diego Perra. Check with you later. Stan

Many have posted it has to do with the organizer...but it truly has to do with the participants and itinerary...as I am sure Stan(the extraordinaire M&G host,) can attest too..

Presently on a 28 day OZ cruise RC, we have a wonderful "KIWI" ex POM..who has tried in vain to get participation for a formal M&G, he has some great ideas and plans that he has shared, but they have fallen on deaf ears. :loudcry:

The best attended M&G, I ever had part in planning was a 4 day to Santa Barbara that was changed to a 3 day, due to a storm, we had over 120 participants...and a lot of staff showed.

BTW...Stan has a following out of SF...on Hawaiian cruises......and I am sure the one on the 5th is a RT Alaska, probably has his groupies on that too....

Have a great cruise...STan, FaNs

Edited by land lover