Feeling dizzy on land after cruise?

We returned from a VERY calm cruise yesterday morning. Since then, I've felt ever-so-slightly dizzy on land. I've heard that it can take awhile to get your land legs after a cruise, but is this normal this long after a calm cruise?

Thanks!

We returned from a VERY calm cruise yesterday morning. Since then, I've felt ever-so-slightly dizzy on land. I've heard that it can take awhile to get your land legs after a cruise, but is this normal this long after a calm cruise?

Thanks!

Can last a few days.

There's even a fancy French name for it: Mal Debarquement. Some people get it badly enough to seek medical treatment, and it can last for months. I had a bad experience ibce several years ago, and found a simple remedy that actually worked. Simply sit upright and roll your head around on your neck very slowly for several revolutions, several times a day. After about six weeks of suffering and questioning my sanity, a few days of that simple exercise, and it was gone.

Happens to me every cruise and the older I get,the longer it lasts. My last cruise I put on those sea bands as soon as I got home and I think it helped. Still lasted over 3 days but lesser symptoms.

Laura

I've cruised about 9 or 10 times, and it's only happened to me once - but it lasted several weeks. At that time, my office was on the 4th floor and I had a floor to ceiling window right next to my desk. Had to pull the blinds allll the way down to the floor for quite a while!!

Thanks!

Normal for me after every cruise

I was told this is called "sea legs." I had it bad after my first cruise - it actually turned me off to cruising for a while. And it lasted for several weeks. Since that first time, I haven't noticed it so much, maybe sometimes in confined spaces shortly after a cruise, like when I am in the shower.

I have this after every cruise, no matter the duration (7 to 27 days so far). It lasts a week or 2 for me. I don't get sick on the ship, or flying or in a car, but I do keep the feeling of being on the ship for awhile. And, this effect is intensified because we live a mile above sea level, so on longer cruises I have to re-adjust to the altitude and getting off the ship.

But I still love to cruise :D

DW experiences it after cruises. Totally normal. Probably those susceptible to motion sickness experience it more than those of us that don't get seasick.

I don't get seasick at all, yet I experience horrible dock rock. I have a theory: I think that my brain adjusts so well to the rocking and swaying of the ship that once I'm on back on land that isn't moving, my brain (which is still "programmed" for ground that is swaying) takes time to "re-program" itself for land that is not rocking back and forth. I never experience dock rock while in ports of call. It always starts about 12 to 24 hours after final disembarkation.

+1 to Tom.Kitten: that head-rolling technique is used by therapists to help people with inner-ear/vestibular disorders to reacquaint a misbehaving balance system with the new distruptive sensations and misinterpretations of the cochlear system.

Been there, done that.:eek:

One of the meds used in treatment is meclizine (D-Vert) which is usually effective to take the edge off symptoms for equlibrium problems, assuming the problem lasts more than a few days.