Gratuities aboard Royal Caribbean

Is that the best you can do? Not at all helpful.

Can you at least try please.

About as helpful as I can be. The contract has been posted several times but I've not retained a link. I can assure you the contract did stipulate that failing to report gratuities offered by a passenger that had removed the auto-grats was cause for dismissal.

About as helpful as I can be. The contract has been posted several times but I've not retained a link. I can assure you the contract did stipulate that failing to report gratuities offered by a passenger that had removed the auto-grats was cause for dismissal.

How would anyone know if a crew member is tipped or not, I don't expect they would be searched every time they went onto the crew area of the ship. As I say others on this forum have assured that the they do not have to turn in tips.

WHATEVER The op asked a question and has been blasted on here from a certain few,Can't afford to tip ,stay at home,and the old favorite stiffing.The op has probably worked his or her arse off to go on this cruise and then you expect him or her to pay someone's wages for the privilage,oh and don't assume how much money people earn.

irrelevant. most of us work our arses off to afford to cruise. the difference is we UNDERSTAND THE TRUE COST OF CRUISING however it is listed on the invoice. that means paying gratuities. any one who is a SJW to such an extent as to feel outraged on behalf of the 'poor crew' needs to stop cruising period.

FTR, most crew vastly prefer the way things are set up( low base wage, make up the difference intips) for tax reasons.

How would anyone know if a crew member is tipped or not, I don't expect they would be searched every time they went onto the crew area of the ship. As I say others on this forum have assured that the they do not have to turn in tips.

The only ones that "have assured that they do not have to turn in tips" are those who are against the auto-gratuities.

Crew quarters are small and the crew knows who is keeping the tips when they shouldn't. A discrete word to a supervisor...

1) Here is my opinion on tips, they are EARNED. I personally feel that the cruise corporations are getting allot of money and they should pay a fare living wage to ALL their workers.

Happy Cruising😎🤩

What exactly is a "fair living" wage for the international crew on a cruise ship and how does one determine that "fair living" wage?

Should wages be based upon country of origin and family size?

Two crew members. One from France and one from the Indonesia. One has a wife and four kids. One is single. Now what is the fair living wage for both?

You say it yourself about the cruise lines paying their staff poorly,they will carry on doing it as long as others are helping pay the crews wages!

?mid=90f06&wid=52295&sid=&tid=7284&rid=MNTZ_LOADED&t=1532195395053

The cruise lines are not "paying their staff poorly". If they were, there wouldn't be any crew.

Guys, let's just end this thread. We know folks in the UK (generally) don't tip. They know they should, as you can researching coming to the USA... it's not too hard to find out. That's nothing specific to cruising, they don't when they come to the US either. (The majority don't I should say to hedge myself) That's why service/wait people in Orlando dred getting UK folks at their tables, they know they are going to work so hard, and not get tipped because "That's not their culture" I have so many friends in the service industry in the Disney/Universal area who can attest to this. The funny thing is, whenever I go to the UK I always tip 20%, no one ever ran after me to give that money back, lol.
A 10% tip in a restaurant in the UK is very well appreciated because the staff here are on a minimum wage.

If you read the UK tipping threads you are right in that a lot of people there are not happy tipper's.

I'm from England but tip very well and after 30 visits to Florida all my servers have always been happy with my tips.

The only ones that "have assured that they do not have to turn in tips" are those who are against the auto-gratuities.

Crew quarters are small and the crew knows who is keeping the tips when they shouldn't. A discrete word to a supervisor...

I have been told by crew many times about fights downstairs especially after a few drinks so maybe the non declaration of tips is a big factor in these fights.

I wouldn't judge the amount of money based upon what "most of work" for. One needs to make this kind of judgement relative to the home country.

If this was such a bad deal then the cruise lines would have far more difficulties filling these jobs.

FWIW, a bartender on RCCI told me he would work five cruise contracts (he was on his third) and he would have enough saved to pay to build his 'dream house'. Build your 'dream' in five years isn't a bad wage.

Yep, a living wage in London is probably a little higher [emoji6] than a living wage in the Philippines, China, India, etc...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just realize that many countries don’t routinely tip. Anyone who has cruised much should know. Only on boutique cruise lines are regular tips included.
Holland used to market Tips Included, but that was a lie.

1) Here is my opinion on tips, they are EARNED. I personally feel that the cruise corporations are getting allot of money and they should pay a fare living wage to ALL their workers. Those that go above and beyond get “tipped”. I realize that there are workers behind the scenes that don’t interact with the passengers. Again, IMO these workers should DEFINITELY be paid a fair wage instead of relying on a “tip”. Having said that, I prepaid our tip because it was just 2 of us, no kids. I may receive great service or horrible service, and it’s personally uncomfortable for me to prepay a tip for service not rendered yet, BUT it’s a “convenience” thing. If I receive bad service I will go to the C&A desk or wherever I need to go to complain and make sure that person does not get the tip. I feel you absolutely are NOT ever required to pay tips. That’s between you and your conscience. And if you think it’s ridiculous to pay tips for your kids, then that is your right.

2) There seems to be some really rude peeps on this board who are telling you to “not” cruise. I call BS. Cruising is for everyone. Again, tips are EARNED. Since they can’t answer without being snarky, or helpful, I say do what’s best for you. You are most likely never going to see the waiters, porters or housekeepers again anyway. Pay what YOU can afford. That is just my opinion.

Happy Cruising😎🤩

WHO are you?? You must be related to me, every single word is exactly what I would have said!! 😁😁😁😁

irrelevant. most of us work our arses off to afford to cruise. the difference is we UNDERSTAND THE TRUE COST OF CRUISING however it is listed on the invoice. that means paying gratuities. any one who is a SJW to such an extent as to feel outraged on behalf of the 'poor crew' needs to stop cruising period.

FTR, most crew vastly prefer the way things are set up( low base wage, make up the difference intips) for tax reasons.

Pretty sure that only works for unreported income. The auto grats will get reported

I wouldn't judge the amount of money based upon what "most of work" for. One needs to make this kind of judgement relative to the home country.

If this was such a bad deal then the cruise lines would have far more difficulties filling these jobs.

FWIW, a bartender on RCCI told me he would work five cruise contracts (he was on his third) and he would have enough saved to pay to build his 'dream house'. Build your 'dream' in five years isn't a bad wage.

Yes HIS dream home. Maybe not what others on this board may feel is a DREAM home or in places that members on this board have their Dream homes.

His dream may be a $10,000-$20,000 house with a little property in the DR or India or in so many other places where earnings and houses are so much lower than anything we are familiar with or can even imagine

Maybe not a beachfront villa on the beach with a pool and live in maid but HIS dream home...

Property taxes, wages along with many other daily costs are much lower that any of us can imagine in so many places. That's why many folks travel to places for a piece of handcrafted local art or apparel that would be 10 times the price in the U.S.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Yep, a living wage in London is probably a little higher [emoji6] than a living wage in the Philippines, China, India, etc...

There are many £million pound homes in London and many more over £500k.

Most companies pay London employees a higher salary than similar workers in other parts of the UK.

Yes HIS dream home. Maybe not what others on this board may feel is a DREAM home or in places that members on this board have their Dream homes.

His dream may be a $10,000-$20,000 house with a little property in the DR or India or in so many other places where earnings and houses are so much lower than anything we are familiar with or can even imagine

Maybe not a beachfront villa on the beach with a pool and live in maid but HIS dream home...

Property taxes, wages along with many other daily costs are much lower that any of us can imagine in so many places. That's why many folks travel to places for a piece of handcrafted local art or apparel that would be 10 times the price in the U.S.

bosco

Actually, he was from Croatia.

How did your employer know that you were not stealing from a company you worked for? Did they search you every night when you left the building?

They don't have to search. The benefits of turning the tips in and making sure the company knows that the guest was satisfied, just not using auto tips, if far greater than keeping the tip money from a guest and having their customer satisfaction rating dropped.

Also if a customer removed auto tips, but the steward turned in his, but the dining room folks did not, or vise versa you can be pretty sure it would raise a red flag.

There will still be some that might not turn it in and might get a way with it, but I would expect those are employees that are not planning to come back on another contract.

Actually, he was from Croatia.

Back a few years I met a pastry baker in his late 20's working on Celebrity and he was on his last contract with them and was the going over for two more with a German line. His car and chalet in Austria would then be paid for and he said he would spend his time skiing. LOL

bosco.

There are many £million pound homes in London and many more over £500k.

Most companies pay London employees a higher salary than similar workers in other parts of the UK.

I was just doing an extreme. A living wage in any part of the UK is many times greater than the countries the service crew come from

Thank goodness I live in Australia. I always paid our gratuities on RCI and to be honest I HATED it on principal as it is not part of the Australian culture but I paid them reluctantly. I guess RCI got fed up with the mile long queues at the Service desk on the first day of every Australian cruise as people queued to request their removal so they no longer apply auto gratuities on cruises that depart from and disembark from any Australian or New Zealand port. I don't know if they have now included them in the price of the cruise as I have not noticed any increase in pricing. I now give out lots of cash tips to staff on our last day, cabin steward, dining waiters, bar staff we have enjoyed etc and have no idea whether they can keep them or not. I really do not care as I feel good tipping this way but most importantly I enjoy telling the staff how wonderful they have been as I am slipping them the cash discreetly as I feel embarrassed doing it. Silly I know, but again I think tipping feels embarrassing when you are not used to it. I understand that Americans think nothing of it, but please respect that we are not all used to it.

Thank goodness I live in Australia. I always paid our gratuities on RCI and to be honest I HATED it on principal as it is not part of the Australian culture but I paid them reluctantly. I guess RCI got fed up with the mile long queues at the Service desk on the first day of every Australian cruise as people queued to request their removal so they no longer apply auto gratuities on cruises that depart from and disembark from any Australian or New Zealand port. I don't know if they have now included them in the price of the cruise as I have not noticed any increase in pricing. I now give out lots of cash tips to staff on our last day, cabin steward, dining waiters, bar staff we have enjoyed etc and have no idea whether they can keep them or not. I really do not care as I feel good tipping this way but most importantly I enjoy telling the staff how wonderful they have been as I am slipping them the cash discreetly as I feel embarrassed doing it. Silly I know, but again I think tipping feels embarrassing when you are not used to it. I understand that Americans think nothing of it, but please respect that we are not all used to it.

It was announced some time ago that Australian fares include the gratuities.

What are American rules ?

Just as irrelevant on a cruise ship, because the cruise ship culture is the cruise ship culture, not the American culture with American rules nor the British culture with British rules. The British culture seems to be we don't tip, while the American culture is more the people who take the auto-grats off because they want to tip personally, in cash. Neither one is complying with the actual cruise culture, which is pay the auto-grats and then anything else you choose to do or not do is up to you.