C&A program outdated?

Well, let's do the math...Our last Disney cruise in May (we're platinum on Disney) was $3867 and our total Platinum perks were a beach bag and a bottle of Prosecco. We also dropped about $400 on drinks. Our last RCL cruise on Oasis in July was $2297, and our D+ perks included a bottle of Cabernet, two bottles of Heineken, and 4 bottles of water in our cabin when we boarded; two deliveries from the chef, free pictures, robes, upgraded bathroom amenities, a free dinner in 150 Central Park, a dedicated lounge, and we drank more than $400 worth of beer and wine, and spent a total of $15 on drinks for the week (DW bought me a Mai Tai).

So while our vacation choices aren't "are solely and entirely predicated on a couple free drinks", it doesn't take a genius to realize that saving more than $2,000 on a cruise and getting treated a bit special to boot (IMO, Disney could care less if we ever took another cruise - they've never sent a follow-up or "we missed you" in our entire history with them and they treat their first time cruisers and their top tier cruisers with the same disassociated behavior), getting the perks we get certainly makes the choice a lot easier to make.

As D+ you have earned and deserve all your C&A perks.

[emoji485] [emoji482] [emoji484] Cheers.

Well, let's do the math...Our last Disney cruise in May (we're platinum on Disney) was $3867 and our total Platinum perks were a beach bag and a bottle of Prosecco. We also dropped about $400 on drinks. Our last RCL cruise on Oasis in July was $2297, and our D+ perks included a bottle of Cabernet, two bottles of Heineken, and 4 bottles of water in our cabin when we boarded; two deliveries from the chef, free pictures, robes, upgraded bathroom amenities, a free dinner in 150 Central Park, a dedicated lounge, and we drank more than $400 worth of beer and wine, and spent a total of $15 on drinks for the week (DW bought me a Mai Tai).

So while our vacation choices aren't "are solely and entirely predicated on a couple free drinks", it doesn't take a genius to realize that saving more than $2,000 on a cruise and getting treated a bit special to boot (IMO, Disney could care less if we ever took another cruise - they've never sent a follow-up or "we missed you" in our entire history with them and they treat their first time cruisers and their top tier cruisers with the same disassociated behavior), getting the perks we get certainly makes the choice a lot easier to make.

You got it in one. I don't drink that often, but it is nice to know that I can have 2 or 3 each evening and they will give me a bottle or water or two for the following day. A carnival cruise will cost me the same as a RCCL cruise, but I won't get the balcony at a discount or a place to hang out for a few hours each night and chat with other guests.

When they first upgraded the clubs on Radiance class ships, RCI issued a second seapass card for the doors. The concierge explained there was some technical issue with programming the locks. My guess is they patched it to make it work.
I recall a separate key to access the CL

The gold one was when we had the B&J sweetf9532b489020a2081a3c2360ae2abdff.jpgb80d99ab52c2282a3c0b2148713451ae.jpg7ab1f739a69463ab8ba507360570219d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The main problem with the TS here is he thinks whatever his view is the majority view. Enough said.

I assume "TS" is thread starter (me). I don't necessarily think my view is the majority view. I was honestly kind of thinking out loud when I started this thread. I think the majority of high status members (D+ and Pinnacle) are probably actually very happy with the program. I was just wondering if there might be a way to modernize it a bit.

I assume "TS" is thread starter (me). I don't necessarily think my view is the majority view. I was honestly kind of thinking out loud when I started this thread. I think the majority of high status members (D+ and Pinnacle) are probably actually very happy with the program. I was just wondering if there might be a way to modernize it a bit.
Your right,we are happy D+ and enjoy the loyalty program.

Being from the UK none of your modernising suggestions appealed to us.

How'd you get a free dinner as a Diamond + perk?

BOGO not much of a perk anymore with FNDR

We're top tier on Disney, one cruise away from top tier on both HAL and Princess, and Gold on Carnival. Why would anyone take a loyalty program that is head and shoulders better than any of those, and suggest to the corporation that offers it that they should tinker with it. "Modernizing" to a corporate ear generally translates into "make it more like all the others". I doubt you'd be happy with any corporate "modernization" of the program.

Fair enough, I guess it does add up.

Look, Royal had to do something. It was our experience on ships with CL’s, the lounge was being occupied and in some cases guarded by C&A members. On our 11 night Serenade cruise over Thanksgiving, it was at times impossible to get an early seat in the CL. Also, the stage was well guarded and clear to us, that it was reserved for certain members. It was loud at times, people trying to tell their cruise history over their neighbors. We actually didn’t spend much time in there because of the crowding. Royal did the right thing by creating the Suite Lounge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know of a person that I have seen on a number of cruises that brings a very nicely printed "reserved" sign that he places on a table in the CL.

How'd you get a free dinner as a Diamond + perk?

BOGO not much of a perk anymore with FNDR

FNDR is only valuable if you choose to do a specialty restaurant on the first night. BOGO on the other hand is a lot more flexible (and you get to choose the restaurant instead of attempting to negotiate yourself out of the one they choose for you). If we want to do specialty restaurants on more than one night, I use my D+ BOGO for one and DW uses hers for the other.

Fair enough, I guess it does add up.

True. We have 10 cruises booked between now and February 2020, and at ~$400 not spent on alcohol for each of those cruises, we save ~$4,000 (~two more cruises worth) over the next 18 months. When we get on Oasis in September, we will probably book those two additional cruises on the savings from RCL's loyalty program - nothing better than cruising on house money:)

FNDR is only valuable if you choose to do a specialty restaurant on the first night. BOGO on the other hand is a lot more flexible (and you get to choose the restaurant instead of attempting to negotiate yourself out of the one they choose for you). If we want to do specialty restaurants on more than one night, I use my D+ BOGO for one and DW uses hers for the other.
Fair enough, but BOGO is only first two nights

Fair enough, but BOGO is only first two nights

Depends on the ship and how well the specialty restaurants are booking. We've had some luck on several cruises in using the D+ bogo on other nights during the week as long as we do the booking on the first day as soon as we board.

Depends on the ship and how well the specialty restaurants are booking. We've had some luck on several cruises in using the D+ bogo on other nights during the week as long as we do the booking on the first day as soon as we board.
I've only seen it once in the past 3-4 years.

Mariner odyssey, they had to because of 600 D+

No SL, or plans for one that I am aware of, on Radiance class. Status Quo remains.

You may be right but a Radiance concierge, very recently, told us that it would be going to the suite lounge concept. That said, we've received several tidbits of information from various concierges that never happened. Nonetheless, the Radiance class would be a relatively easy change.

Interesting thread, OP!! (And even more interesting to see how personally folks take your brainstorm question. ;))

Someone said "They are giving stuff that they think is valuable to their long term customers- and most appreciate it." That's correct. It's just that right now, their long-term customers are the older generation who have different appreciation standards/values than those 20- and 30- somethings who have been sailing with their parents all their life and are D already, or will be soon.

When the lounge predominately empties of that older generation and they're on that cruise ship in the sky, RCI will either 1) realize the current D/D+ population doesn't want the current "stuff" and change to new "stuff" they value more, which I agree will include some things on your list....or, 2) as some folks have already mentioned, RCI will determine the ships fill up anyway, and do away with the valuable "stuff" altogether. Oh, they'll still CALL it a VIP program :rolleyes:, but it'll be a substantial decrease in quality and quantity of offers.

Just like with any other business, they'll have to evaluate if it's beneficial for them to change the offers to suit the values of the current D/D+ cruisers. With the trend we've seen in changes on board, I'm also voting the majority of those effected won't be too happy with the changes!

You may be right but a Radiance concierge, very recently, told us that it would be going to the suite lounge concept. That said, we've received several tidbits of information from various concierges that never happened. Nonetheless, the Radiance class would be a relatively easy change.
We'll be on Serenade mid August.

Was this recently? I thought they had pretty much stopped letting you do that

We're top tier on Disney, one cruise away from top tier on both HAL and Princess, and Gold on Carnival. Why would anyone take a loyalty program that is head and shoulders better than any of those, and suggest to the corporation that offers it that they should tinker with it. "Modernizing" to a corporate ear generally translates into "make it more like all the others". I doubt you'd be happy with any corporate "modernization" of the program.
+1 I agree.