FOOD for thought!

dsotm73

On my first cruise (26 years ago) I gained 12 pounds in 7 days...I didn't know that you DIDN'T have to eat everything that's offered.LOL

Those were the days of the gala midnight buffets and cruising was a whole new world!

I wouldn't wear my formal dress for the 2nd night because I looke like a stuffed sausage!...those were the days when everyone dressed up!

Never happened again....have never gained weight on a cruise since. :D:D

That is amazing. To gain 12 lbs you would have to eat 6000 calories a day over your normal daily allowance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Never thought of it in those terms back then...LOL but glad it was only a one time gain!

Dont focus on fat alone. Most important thing is calories. Need even out to intake to balance the equation. Getting into the macronutrients of percentages of fat/carbs/protein is a rabbit hole but you need all three.

This. Apologies on getting so serious about this but natural animal and plant-based fats are great for you and do not cause high cholesterol, heart disease or weight gain when eaten in moderation. Sugar, on the other hand, is the culprit. All this no fat, and fat causes high cholesterol, and high cholesterol leads to heart disease hold no medical creedance. It was invented by George McGovern and other politicians decades ago with no scientific basis. Watch the documentary Fatheads. Its free on Netflix or Youtube.

Too many carbs, which turn to sugar and then fat, when your body can't handle them is the real culprit. You need carbs, just not so many. The sugar lobby got people to focus on fat and high-sugar foods that were "fat-free" became the craze. And you wonder why so many people got fat. Do the math and you'll find a bowl of grape nuts has a highter glycemic index than a can of Coke. But people brag about having a bowl of whole weat cereal and two pieces of multi-grain toast and how healthy it is, but really, they are just eating what will soon convert to sugar and make them fat. They'd have been better off in terms of nutrients and health eating two egss and a few slices of bacon!

Sorry for the rant. Just passionate about this. Fat is good for you. Natural fat. Your body needs it. That said, it doesn't NEED chocolate melting cake. That's just fun and worth it on a cruise. : )

I usually gain around 5 pounds on a 7 night cruise. Fortunately, when I get home and resume eating normally, the 5 pounds are gone within a couple of weeks. In fact, half of it is usually gone within a day or two. Therefore, I don't worry about it. I'm fortunate in that regard, I guess. I realize some people don't lose weight that easily and I feel for them.

You know, I don't want to come off a cruise with a chunk of weight that stays forever. But I don't worry about what I eat while on vacation. I am constantly in motion (except sleeping and reading on deck). Rarely take the elevator and always on the go in port.

And even if I end my cruise with 5 or 10 extra pounds on, they are gone within 2 weeks when I get back to my normal eating pattern.

This. Apologies on getting so serious about this but natural animal and plant-based fats are great for you and do not cause high cholesterol, heart disease or weight gain when eaten in moderation. Sugar, on the other hand, is the culprit. All this no fat, and fat causes high cholesterol, and high cholesterol leads to heart disease hold no medical creedance. It was invented by George McGovern and other politicians decades ago with no scientific basis. Watch the documentary Fatheads. Its free on Netflix or Youtube.

Too many carbs, which turn to sugar and then fat, when your body can't handle them is the real culprit. You need carbs, just not so many. The sugar lobby got people to focus on fat and high-sugar foods that were "fat-free" became the craze. And you wonder why so many people got fat. Do the math and you'll find a bowl of grape nuts has a highter glycemic index than a can of Coke. But people brag about having a bowl of whole weat cereal and two pieces of multi-grain toast and how healthy it is, but really, they are just eating what will soon convert to sugar and make them fat. They'd have been better off in terms of nutrients and health eating two egss and a few slices of bacon!

Sorry for the rant. Just passionate about this. Fat is good for you. Natural fat. Your body needs it. That said, it doesn't NEED chocolate melting cake. That's just fun and worth it on a cruise. : )

Carnival doesn't serve mashed " potatoes " made from cauliflower. :')

This is how we roll! I have vacationed with people who were on a diet. No fun! To each his own' date=' but when I am on vacation, my regular eating habits on are vacation too![/quote']

What really is 'no fun' is spending 10 months struggling to lose 30 pounds due to a metabolic disorder. It is totally not worth it for me to blow it by overeating to the max on a one week vacation. And like I said earlier, I still enjoy what I eat on vacation and I do indulge in sweets when I want to, but I don't want to spend the next X number of months trying to get back to where I was before.

Also, fun fact. It took me 4 years to realize that my scale at home wasn't accurate at all. I racked up nearly 40 pounds of weight gain and I swore that I didn't gain any or much weight. It wasn't until the slap in the face at the doctors office that I truly realized what I had done to myself. I come from a family of overweight people who struggle to do ordinary activities such as walking or putting on socks, all because of their weight and denial of the fact. Personally, it doesn't matter to me what people look like, I just know from experience how much an affect those seemingly harmless extra pounds really do impact your life.

Anyway, enough with the heavy, no pun intended. Go ahead and indulge if you feel like it. It's your life and your vacation. Just sharing my own personal experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is amazing. To gain 12 lbs you would have to eat 6000 calories a day over your normal daily allowance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Or retain a lot of fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In addition to the fluid retention, many of us are drinking a lot of extra calories - not just eating;p

Or retain a lot of fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Part of that problem is the ships water. Carnival states that the water is purified . Others cruisers states it makes them retain fluids It's a wonder Carnival lets people bring water even sell it to their customers after all it's purified . Me ,ship water taste bad . I buy the water from the website.

Did you all know that there are fully equipped fitness centers on board every Carnival ship? A few miles on the treadmill usually helps keep the chocolate melting cake/ guys burgers/ ice cream / wine from packing on the pounds.

Did you all know that there are fully equipped fitness centers on board every Carnival ship? A few miles on the treadmill usually helps keep the chocolate melting cake/ guys burgers/ ice cream / wine from packing on the pounds.

At 100 calories per mile you would have to do 6.2 miles (a 10k) to burn that single serving of WCMC.