Nickel and dime before 1st cruise starts

I totally understood what you were saying, there are some sensitive people on this board who will defend RC til the end. I have no problem saying no to things, but depending on how persistent they are it could get annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I personally realize that cruising is not for everyone and feel it’s important to know the negative in advance so one can prepare for it and not let it be a bother once on board.

Once you say “no”, they won’t (or haven’t in my experience) push it and they move onto another passenger.

Have a nice trip!

I personally realize that cruising is not for everyone and feel it’s important to know the negative in advance so one can prepare for it and not let it be a bother once on board.

Once you say “no”, they won’t (or haven’t in my experience) push it and they move onto another passenger.

Have a nice trip!

Thank you! I’m looking forward to this adventure![emoji16]

That’s good news.

You are the first person that I have seen post since the requirements changed that has been successful in being only able to buy the deluxe package without buying a replenish package for the other person. Many with circumstances similar to yours have posted that they had to buy the replenish package.

Yes, I’m very thankful it was waived.

I think many of us have just learned to ignore the sales pitch and consider it just background noise, but if the OP is upset at the mere asking from someone to purchase something and is sensitive to it. This will happen all week.

I agree.

I'm on the same cruise. Just be happy we're not stopping in Nassau. The vendors in the Straw market can get pushy.

Be prepared if you are traveling with young girls for all the "Braid the pretty girl's hair" pitches in Labadee.

Oasis is a lovely ship and I am confident that you will enjoy your cruise. I don't usually buy a drinks package so don't feel that you are obliged to. Just pay for the individual drinks.

I have not found a problem with sales people while on board the ship so best not to worry about them. Most of the food and entertainment is free so I don't believe you will get any surprises with unexpected charges.

iI cruised last april right after my wife had bariatic surgery . her diet restricted surgary drinks and carbonation . i submitted a doctors statemnt explaining her situation and they absolutely let me get the drink package and she wasnt rquired to buy anything. you just have to politly request escalation . the next cruise she had less limitation so i was ok with her getting the refreshment package . just ask for their supervisor and i am sure with a note justifying your situation THEY WILL ACCOMONDATE GOODLUCK that is a great ship . but a word of caution be prepared to pay for it with the person who ok the arrangement immediately

rd of cauation

Edited by help04me

iI cruised last april right after my wife had bariatic surgery . her diet restricted surgary drinks and carbonation . i submitted a doctors statemnt explaining her situation and they absolutely let me get the drink package and she wasnt rquired to buy anything. you just have to politly request escalation . the next cruise she had less limitation so i was ok with her getting the refreshment package . just ask for their supervisor and i am sure with a note justifying your situation THEY WILL ACCOMONDATE GOODLUCK that is a great ship .
Avoid carbonation forever

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

iI cruised last april right after my wife had bariatic surgery . her diet restricted surgary drinks and carbonation . i submitted a doctors statemnt explaining her situation and they absolutely let me get the drink package and she wasnt rquired to buy anything. you just have to politly request escalation . the next cruise she had less limitation so i was ok with her getting the refreshment package . just ask for their supervisor and i am sure with a note justifying your situation THEY WILL ACCOMONDATE GOODLUCK that is a great ship . but a word of caution be prepared to pay for it with the person who ok the arrangement immediately

rd of cauation

Thankfully that’s what happened, with patience and a positive attitude it was all straightened out. [emoji16]

If this is your first time cruising, then I would say yes. You are being set up for a week long sales pitch. Not just about beverage packaged, but specialty dining, art auctions, jewelry and liquor sales, shore excursions. You are going to constantly see offers and often will have someone make a pitch to you for any or all of these things. It's not high pressure where you can't say "no". You absolutely can, and they'll just move on. But you will continue to encounter it.

You can think of it this way: The business model of the cruise line is to make money. They basically cover their costs by selling the cruise. They make their profit based on the additional revenue they generate.

If you walk in to one of their auctions or promotional talks or one of the stores it will definitely feel that way however, no rule that says you have to attend a sales talk. Just avoid them. Or walk out if you accidently walk in on one.

Read their quarterly financial statement that they released today. “onboard and other revenues increased 8.3% to $665 million.” This doesn't happen without lots of initiative.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

My first cruise will be on the Oasis August 19th and I’m already being nickel and dimed before setting foot onboard. Here is the situation...I have a medical letter so I can waive the drink package well 2 phone reps have tried to convince me to get the regular drink package and I’ve had to explain yet again no soft drinks and I have to avoid sugar so I wouldn’t get my monies worth. They then press on telling me I really need to purchase it even though my balcony cabin comes with a soda package that I won’t use. I’m just so annoyed that I’ve spent all this money on this vacation and they are relentless before I even step on the ship. Is there anyone to voice these concerns to at Royal? I’m getting a bad feeling about how it’s going to be once we’re on the ship. Am I being set up for a week long sales pitch?!?:confused:

I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and cannot drink alcohol. I have other medical problems and do not drink soda or juice . I have always been bombarded with beverage sales pitches ,good luck.

My personal opinion is that Royal has copied NCL on the nickel and dime tactics. Last two cruises on Royal there were staff that came around to our table at MDR to try to upsell us to the surcharge restaurants. Everyone at our table said no thanks and they moved on. Just expect it and tell them you are not interested like the all the phone calls I get about timeshare offers.

Edited by coaster

Unless they can drink 10-15 drinks a day everyday. Just my own opinion so please take it only as that.

with the average drink price of $12.00 for wine by the glass, how do you figure 10-15 a day. even a beer at say $6 ( I don't drink it I am guesing) or a premium beer at 7$, that would be $70- 110 a day, which would be well worth the package but hardly a fair comparison. 4 glasses of wine, orange juice( fresh) coffees, and sodas would easily reach the $51 average pirce of a package. for the refreshment package even easier at $18 a day on sail....

I get making a point of not buying a package, but let's be serious about the prices of drinks and how few it takes to max out your daily package price..

I’m sure I will be shot for saying this, but I don’t understand why someone can’t ask a question from their own personal perspective without so many responders being critical, snarky, condescending, or plain rude. We all communicate the best we can, using our own verbage - is it not possible to just allow people that? Maybe just respond to be supportive or truly helpful and move along otherwise? I just know there are certain forums (like a certain flyer forum) that could be useful to me, but I avoid because every post is like virtual chum in the water. While some of those are fairly heavy in use by middle-aged type A types with a Y chromosome and likely far too much testosterone and ego, I got twinges of the same kind of bad feelings that I get in that type of forum and comminuty reading some of the responses to this post tonight... and I decided it was worth noting my thoughts.

@Parrott06 I hope you and yours have a lovely cruise! Your first, how very exciting! I know it feels like there are many a\new things to learn and you will learn them.... good luck, have fun, and then do it again ! :-)

The Beeze Family

Edited by 2Beeze

with the average drink price of $12.00 for wine by the glass, how do you figure 10-15 a day. even a beer at say $6 ( I don't drink it I am guesing) or a premium beer at 7$, that would be $70- 110 a day, which would be well worth the package but hardly a fair comparison. 4 glasses of wine, orange juice( fresh) coffees, and sodas would easily reach the $51 average pirce of a package. for the refreshment package even easier at $18 a day on sail....

I get making a point of not buying a package, but let's be serious about the prices of drinks and how few it takes to max out your daily package price..

Laura's wine is $8 a glass.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you walk in to one of their auctions or promotional talks or one of the stores it will definitely feel that way however, no rule that says you have to attend a sales talk. Just avoid them. Or walk out if you accidently walk in on one.

Yeah I’ll stay out of those.

I agree, the sales pitches and people approaching you to push a product as you're trying to enjoy your vacation on board is tacky and one of those things that will turn off a first time cruiser.

Fortunately, over the years due to exposure in various types of these situations, I have a "look" on my face when the sales folks start to approach me that makes them back off. I'm very tall which my girlfriend says is intimidating and I never make eye contact with them, I just keep on moving along.

It's worked for me on board and in "pushy" Caribbean countries. It's actually advice I give to everyone I travel with...don't acknowledge them and just keep on moving. They'll quickly realize they aren't going to get a dime out of you and it's not worth their effort.

I agree, the sales pitches and people approaching you to push a product as you're trying to enjoy your vacation on board is tacky and one of those things that will turn off a first time cruiser.

Fortunately, over the years due to exposure in various types of these situations, I have a "look" on my face when the sales folks start to approach me that makes them back off. I'm very tall which my girlfriend says is intimidating and I never make eye contact with them, I just keep on moving along.

It's worked for me on board and in "pushy" Caribbean countries. It's actually advice I give to everyone I travel with...don't acknowledge them and just keep on moving. They'll quickly realize they aren't going to get a dime out of you and it's not worth their effort.

Good advice!

I totally understood what you were saying, there are some sensitive people on this board who will defend RC til the end. I have no problem saying no to things, but depending on how persistent they are it could get annoying.

You are making judgements without even setting foot on the ship. It's the ones who go on about the pressure sales that are being overly sensitive. There are very few professional sales people on board and they are easily avoided (future cruise desk, spa, shops). Generally they are polite and friendly, not pushy or intrusive as some have suggested.

Ones selling drinks packages or bookings for speciality restaurants are regular crew members not trained sales people. Instead of being intimidated by them or avoiding eye contact, smile, be friendly and politely decline if they ask if you are interested. Not fantastically difficult, not nickle and diming, not pressure sales, not something that will ruin your holiday.

Some contributors on this thread have gone over the top bringing up art auctions, stalls in the promenade selling junk etc. Hey a lot of people like this kind of thing and easy to avoid if it is not your cup of tea. I don't see this is a negative or even nickle and diming. It is part of the cruise experience and has been around for the 30 yrs I have been going on cruises.

It is sad that you have chosen to make judgements based on a handful of people who paint a picture which is far from reality.

I have never been one to defend RC or any other cruise line. I seriously regret contributing to this thread which was initially motivated by a desire to reassure a newbie.

You are making judgements without even setting foot on the ship. It's the ones who go on about the pressure sales that are being overly sensitive. There are very few professional sales people on board and they are easily avoided (future cruise desk, spa, shops). Generally they are polite and friendly, not pushy or intrusive as some have suggested.

Ones selling drinks packages or bookings for speciality restaurants are regular crew members not trained sales people. Instead of being intimidated by them or avoiding eye contact, smile, be friendly and politely decline if they ask if you are interested. Not fantastically difficult, not nickle and diming, not pressure sales, not something that will ruin your holiday.

Some contributors on this thread have gone over the top bringing up art auctions, stalls in the promenade selling junk etc. Hey a lot of people like this kind of thing and easy to avoid if it is not your cup of tea. I don't see this is a negative or even nickle and diming. It is part of the cruise experience and has been around for the 30 yrs I have been going on cruises.

It is sad that you have chosen to make judgements based on a handful of people who paint a picture which is far from reality.

I have never been one to defend RC or any other cruise line. I seriously regret contributing to this thread which was initially motivated by a desire to reassure a newbie.

As D+ we avoid the drinks packages, I don't mind the selling of the specially restaurants because often we can get a really good deal and I would like the opportunity to get a good deal rather not be asked.

We all make judgements, it’s called reading reviews. There is nothing wrong with reading reviews and hoping your experience doesn’t turn out like someone else’s. I’ve heard stories of people going to get a massage on the Oasis and the spa trying to up sell more treatments in one case a 300.00 treatment, something that should be relaxing turns into a sales pitch. Politely saying no isn’t difficult for me so all should be swell!