Nickel and dime before 1st cruise starts

My first cruise will be on the Oasis August 19th and I’m already being nickel and dimed before setting foot onboard. Here is the situation...I have a medical letter so I can waive the drink package well 2 phone reps have tried to convince me to get the regular drink package and I’ve had to explain yet again no soft drinks and I have to avoid sugar so I wouldn’t get my monies worth. They then press on telling me I really need to purchase it even though my balcony cabin comes with a soda package that I won’t use. I’m just so annoyed that I’ve spent all this money on this vacation and they are relentless before I even step on the ship. Is there anyone to voice these concerns to at Royal? I’m getting a bad feeling about how it’s going to be once we’re on the ship. Am I being set up for a week long sales pitch?!?:confused:

Oasis is a lovely ship and I am confident that you will enjoy your cruise. I don't usually buy a drinks package so don't feel that you are obliged to. Just pay for the individual drinks.

I have not found a problem with sales people while on board the ship so best not to worry about them. Most of the food and entertainment is free so I don't believe you will get any surprises with unexpected charges.

When you say 'waive' the drinks package, I presume you mean that your sailing companion still wants to get it?

New rules were brought in due to package sharing requiring everyone in the cabin to get a drinks package. There are exceptions to this though where one person can get an alcohol package and the other get the non-alcohol package. I haven't heard of any case where only one person has been allowed to purchase the package since the new rules have been brought in.

It's not nickel & diming as no one is forcing you to purchase a package in the first place

Am I being set up for a week long sales pitch?!?:confused:

Not really, for the vast majority of the time. However, don’t be surprised if you are approached for such things as dining packages and other for pay events on ship. Just say you are not interested and they will move on (This was my experience during lunch in the MDR on Anthem a year ago; I never ate dinner there so don’t know if it was bad then.) It is annoying but can become laughable if you go in with the right frame of mind. They are just doing their job, so please don’t get angry with them.

“Discussions” about the ports of calls are usually to discuss what you can buy there at stores doing business with Royal. Not much about the history of the port, for example. But, you may win free stuff if you go.

If this is your first time cruising, then I would say yes. You are being set up for a week long sales pitch. Not just about beverage packaged, but specialty dining, art auctions, jewelry and liquor sales, shore excursions. You are going to constantly see offers and often will have someone make a pitch to you for any or all of these things. It's not high pressure where you can't say "no". You absolutely can, and they'll just move on. But you will continue to encounter it.

You can think of it this way: The business model of the cruise line is to make money. They basically cover their costs by selling the cruise. They make their profit based on the additional revenue they generate.

If this is your first time cruising, then I would say yes. You are being set up for a week long sales pitch. Not just about beverage packaged, but specialty dining, art auctions, jewelry and liquor sales, shore excursions. You are going to constantly see offers and often will have someone make a pitch to you for any or all of these things. It's not high pressure where you can't say "no". You absolutely can, and they'll just move on. But you will continue to encounter it.

You can think of it this way: The business model of the cruise line is to make money. They basically cover their costs by selling the cruise. They make their profit based on the additional revenue they generate.

You are painting a picture of someone spending a week in a Morrocan bazaar. That certainly has not been my experience and I cruise quite frequently.

My first cruise will be on the Oasis August 19th and I’m already being nickel and dimed before setting foot onboard. Here is the situation...I have a medical letter so I can waive the drink package well 2 phone reps have tried to convince me to get the regular drink package and I’ve had to explain yet again no soft drinks and I have to avoid sugar so I wouldn’t get my monies worth. They then press on telling me I really need to purchase it even though my balcony cabin comes with a soda package that I won’t use. I’m just so annoyed that I’ve spent all this money on this vacation and they are relentless before I even step on the ship. Is there anyone to voice these concerns to at Royal? I’m getting a bad feeling about how it’s going to be once we’re on the ship. Am I being set up for a week long sales pitch?!?:confused:

What's wrong with just saying no. Sometimes it takes a double or triple no, but it works. No need for excuses.

Royal does not waive the requirement for both people in the cabin to purchase the deluxe drink package regardless of what your medical situation is or what doctor signed a note. What they will do is allow the second person to purchase a refreshment package that includes all non alcoholic drinks which is different than the soda package that comes with your room.

Sorry but you will not get anywhere trying to get around this.

Most likely your best option is to just pay as you go for drinks.

I’m getting a bad feeling about how it’s going to be once we’re on the ship. Am I being set up for a week long sales pitch?!?:confused:

Seems you've been reading CC too much. Don't sweat the small stuff. The Drink Package rules are quite specific. I assume you're traveling companion wants the Drink Package and you can't medically have it. I have never dealt with that, but supposedly you can get that with a medical note. Did you book directly or with a TA? If a TA, ask them to work on it for you. If directly, ask to speak to a supervisor. Again, I've never done this, but if you can't purchase early, wait until on board and ask there. With a medical note in hand you might not have any problem.

As to "nickel and diming." Like many other industries, the cruise industry has moved to more "piece pricing." Instead of paying a higher cruise fee, you pay a lower fee but pay as you go for items you choose to buy. I would rather pay a single price too. In fact, we're trying our first "luxury" line in Nov. All inclusive. But even on that board, people are complaining about included drinks and they don't drink, inclusive shore excursions, they don't like ship excursions. It's a no win situation. You will be offered drink packages, dining packages, etc. Often they'll discount them if they aren't selling. Don't be offended. If you choose not to use them just say no. But we've bought certain dining packages when offered because they were a great deal not offered before the cruise. Had they not come with the "sales pitch," we would not have known and not chosen to purchase.

So, don't listen too much to the gripes here. We tend to discuss the things that bother us on a cruise and not the parts we love. Don't go into this primed to find a "week long sales pitch." Go into with the attitude that you are on a spectacular cruise on one of the most impressive ships at sea. And all those poor people you left behind, aren't!

You are painting a picture of someone spending a week in a Morrocan bazaar.

Few have been in one, so many may not know what that means.

Biker, who very vaguely remembers buying something in a Casablanca one.

Seems you've been reading CC too much. Don't sweat the small stuff. The Drink Package rules are quite specific. I assume you're traveling companion wants the Drink Package and you can't medically have it. I have never dealt with that, but supposedly you can get that with a medical note. Did you book directly or with a TA? If a TA, ask them to work on it for you. If directly, ask to speak to a supervisor. Again, I've never done this, but if you can't purchase early, wait until on board and ask there. With a medical note in hand you might not have any problem.

!

Buying only the deluxe package by itself with a reason only lasted a few weeks after the new requirement was implemented. You are now required to also purchase the refreshment package if the second person does not want the deluxe. This is also enforced on board.

Buying only the deluxe package by itself with a reason only lasted a few weeks after the new requirement was implemented. You are now required to also purchase the refreshment package if the second person does not want the deluxe. This is also enforced on board.

So if it understand properly, the cabin mate should/will just have to pay for their drinks one at a time for the OP not to have to spend more on a drink package they can’t consume. That’s correct, right?

Edit to add: or I guess the cabin mate could pay for the OP’s replenish package if they really want the drink package VS pay as you go.

Nickel and Dime means that when you purchase something, and find out that it does not include everything. When you buy a cruise, it includes everything you need. Food, something to drink, a room, entertainment and most of all, transportation to different places. It's all inclusive.

You aren't Nickel and Dimed on a cruise ship.

Now, there are things that you know before you purchase that is clearly stated is not included. One is Booze. The other is soda. They have services on the ship, like the spa. Of course pictures and shopping. Those are known optional items, so they can't be nickel and diming.

Go on a tour, even a private tour, and the tour guide will ask you to stop someplace to shop. It's common practice in the tourist industry, to sell you stuff on vacation. That's not nickel and diming either.

If you bought a cruise, and they told you after you bought the cruise, you need to buy food, or starve. You need to buy your entertainment. You need to buy all your beverages including water. Now that's nickel and diming. Charging you for stuff that should be included, or you thought was included.

So name one vacation destination that does not try to sell you something more?

Go on your cruise. Buy a package on the ship, most likely they will let you. Know you will be asked to buy stuff on the ship. You will be asked in the islands. If you want to buy it, buy it. If not, than don't. But it's not nickel and diming. It's just business to make money.

So if it understand properly, the cabin mate should/will just have to pay for their drinks one at a time for the OP not to have to spend more on a drink package they can’t consume. That’s correct, right?

Edit to add: or I guess the cabin mate could pay for the OP’s replenish package if they really want the drink package VS pay as you go.

You got it.:)

AFAIK you can get the Deluxe package waived but you have to purchase the Refreshment package. I haven't heard of anyone being allowed to get no package at all when the travelling companion gets the Deluxe package. In your situation it may be best for your roommate to skip the package and pay OOP for drinks.

You don’t need to purchase any drink package - unless your cabin mate does. Then you must. Quite simple rule actually but certainly not nickel and diming. Your terminology is totally wrong.

I understand this is quite upsetting. The cruise line has certain conditions of sale on all options, including drink packages. In order to avoid any negative feelings and receive the best and most certain value for your money, you best option is to cancel the booking.

I have never been contacted by anyone at RCL prior to cruising. Sailed on Allure on Easter and will sail on Anthem this August and no calls or sales pitches. You will find when you initially board some sales pitch, especially by the WJ, but just ignore and enjoy the cruise.

Yes, I am afraid that is just cruising now on the big box lines. Every day will be someone trying to sell you something. I do not mind the pitch, I just do not buy. I am told that this does not happen much on Viking, but I have not tried them yet. I do know cokes, beer and wine is included in the Viking price.

It is well known that lines like Carnival and Royal actually lose money on most fares, it is what they make off you once you are on-board that puts them in the black.

Edited by asalligo

You are painting a picture of someone spending a week in a Morrocan bazaar. That certainly has not been my experience and I cruise quite frequently.

I like your analogy! I ,too, have never felt the "nickel and dime" . Never been called beforehand. (??) Better not stop at a lot of ports if you can't say "no".

I like your analogy! I ,too, have never felt the "nickel and dime" . Never been called beforehand. (??) Better not stop at a lot of ports if you can't say "no".

I think many of us have just learned to ignore the sales pitch and consider it just background noise, but if the OP is upset at the mere asking from someone to purchase something and is sensitive to it. This will happen all week.

There will be lots of sale pitches on board. We just ignore them all. Port shopping talk....sales pitch to get you into stores they get a kick back from. Alcohol tasting...sales pitch to get you to buy alcohol to take home. There will be tables set up to pitch drink packages. Spa talks to pitch spa treatments.

All this said we just ignore it all. No one hounds us. We just stay away from such talks and walk right by the tables. It at times is like going to the state fair in ports of call. Just ignore it all and have a great time. It doesn’t bother us and won’t bother you if you don’t let it. Just smile and say no thank you.

Don’t let this scare you away from cruising!

Best sales pitch advice I can give to a new cruiser is: Whatever they're selling on tables in the middle of the promenade deck is, at best, worth what they're selling it to you for. That $1200 watch they're selling you for only $99? Yeah, you can get it for $99 on Amazon all day long.

Every at-sea day there will be a whole raft of "sales" like that on the promenade. This is good news for you - since you're not interested in sales pitches you can do what I do, and go to the pool, which isn't all that crowded because of all the people down on the promenade scrambling over trinkets.

If you're looking for a non-aquatic place to sit and get away from sales pitches, I don't recall ever being approached while in Central Park. Grab a glass of wine from Vintages and enjoy the scenery and people watching.

Really, as long as you aren't on the promenade deck you won't see a whole lot of "buy this!" stuff. You may be approached while eating for things like specialty dining or kitchen tours, but as soon as you say no they go away.

The high-pressure stuff comes from places like the flea market at Labadee, and that's very easy to avoid since you have to actively seek it out.