Nickel and dime before 1st cruise starts

If you walk in to one of their auctions or promotional talks or one of the stores it will definitely feel that way however, no rule that says you have to attend a sales talk. Just avoid them. Or walk out if you accidently walk in on one.

In my numerous cruises, I have never attended an art auction or promotional talk. But I sure have gotten PLENTY of notices on my door and overhead announcements about them!:p

We all make judgements, it’s called reading reviews. There is nothing wrong with reading reviews and hoping your experience doesn’t turn out like someone else’s. I’ve heard stories of people going to get a massage on the Oasis and the spa trying to up sell more treatments in one case a 300.00 treatment, something that should be relaxing turns into a sales pitch. Politely saying no isn’t difficult for me so all should be swell!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are only trying to earn a living.

On the ship they are not pushy like a lot of the Timeshare Reps on land.

We go to the Speciality restaurant's so welcome being approached because I can negotiate a good deal

They are only trying to earn a living.

On the ship they are not pushy like a lot of the Timeshare Reps on land.

We go to the Speciality restaurant's so welcome being approached because I can negotiate a good deal

I agree. I don't call it a weeklong sales pitch because they are pushy or aggressive, I do so because it's omnipresent. I don't mind, I'm used to it. But I do think it's important for a first time cruiser to have an understanding that this is how the cruise line makes money- not on selling you the cruise, but by getting people to spend more money while on it!

I agree. I don't call it a weeklong sales pitch because they are pushy or aggressive, I do so because it's omnipresent. I don't mind, I'm used to it. But I do think it's important for a first time cruiser to have an understanding that this is how the cruise line makes money- not on selling you the cruise, but by getting people to spend more money while on it!

I agree and accept the point you are making. Sorry if my initial response seemed a little dismissive.

My personal opinion is that Royal has copied NCL on the nickel and dime tactics. Last two cruises on Royal there were staff that came around to our table at MDR to try to upsell us to the surcharge restaurants. Everyone at our table said no thanks and they moved on. Just expect it and tell them you are not interested like the all the phone calls I get about timeshare offers.

Nothing wrong with for-profit businesses trying to maximize their bottomline. Besides, it's the staff's job to up sell their products and services to customers.

Not really, for the vast majority of the time. However, don’t be surprised if you are approached for such things as dining packages and other for pay events on ship. Just say you are not interested and they will move on (This was my experience during lunch in the MDR on Anthem a year ago; I never ate dinner there so don’t know if it was bad then.) It is annoying but can become laughable if you go in with the right frame of mind. They are just doing their job, so please don’t get angry with them.

“Discussions” about the ports of calls are usually to discuss what you can buy there at stores doing business with Royal. Not much about the history of the port, for example. But, you may win free stuff if you go.

I usually say we have whatever they’re selling already and they leave us alone. Whatever works. Truthfully on 2 rc cruises. Never really bothered at all with sales pitches

I was on Oasis in April during Easter week. After reading about high-pressure sales tactics on board, I was nervous - but we were never approached by anyone trying to sell drink and/or specialty restaurant packages (we had purchased neither). The only thing I saw was someone standing in the promenade standing around and holding specialty restaurant menus, but never approaching anyone. I'm wondering if they kick it up a notch for cruises where not many of the packages have been pre-sold?

I was on Oasis in April during Easter week. After reading about high-pressure sales tactics on board, I was nervous - but we were never approached by anyone trying to sell drink and/or specialty restaurant packages (we had purchased neither). The only thing I saw was someone standing in the promenade standing around and holding specialty restaurant menus, but never approaching anyone. I'm wondering if they kick it up a notch for cruises where not many of the packages have been pre-sold?

Possible, or maybe it was just that particular crewmember. I've seen some who are very aggressive and don't give up easily and others who give up immediately the first time we say no.

Possible, or maybe it was just that particular crewmember. I've seen some who are very aggressive and don't give up easily and others who give up immediately the first time we say no.

They get an incentive for hawking their beverage and dining packages. I know on Celebrity they get to keep the gratuity for themselves if they get you to upgrade from the Classic to Premium beverage package. That's why you will be inundated with sales pitches upon boarding.

Buying only the deluxe package by itself with a reason only lasted a few weeks after the new requirement was implemented. You are now required to also purchase the refreshment package if the second person does not want the deluxe. This is also enforced on board.

Thanks, didn't know that. My last cruise was a month after the "everyone must buy the package" went into effect.

I’ve been on 10 Royal cruises in the last 5 years and have been approached 1 time in the wj for specialty dining. Said we already had it and they moved on. Everything else is set up in the promenade, but nobody ever approaches me or my family. Maybe we look scary?

I’ve been on 10 Royal cruises in the last 5 years and have been approached 1 time in the wj for specialty dining. Said we already had it and they moved on. Everything else is set up in the promenade, but nobody ever approaches me or my family. Maybe we look scary?

We rarely get approached either and think its because we look poor.

Just for comparision, go look up today's one week cruise pricing. Now, compare to this pricing:

SS Norway, 1981

Inside $960 per person

outside $1,290 per person

pls port taxes

Yes, drinks were in the 50 cent range

So, which do you prefer? Today's very low cabin price? Or the 1981 prices?

Oh, almost forgot. If you doubt what I have listed, I copied directly from the NCL brochure covering the dates of January 4 thru June 14, 1981

So if RCI or any other cruise line tries hard to upsell, you might understand why they are looking for those nickels and dimes.

You don’t need to purchase any drink package - unless your cabin mate does. Then you must. Quite simple rule actually but certainly not nickel and diming. Your terminology is totally wrong.

I agree. 7 day/ Alcohol Bev packages are more like $500. That's alot of nickels and dimes!

They get an incentive for hawking their beverage and dining packages. I know on Celebrity they get to keep the gratuity for themselves if they get you to upgrade from the Classic to Premium beverage package. That's why you will be inundated with sales pitches upon boarding.
Never experienced aggressive sales pitches on Celebrity

You don’t need to purchase any drink package - unless your cabin mate does. Then you must. Quite simple rule actually but certainly not nickel and diming. Your terminology is totally wrong.

We are going on the same cruise. Hubby has the refreshment package and me none, I only drink water and brewed iced tea. We have not gotten any phone calls at all.

We are going on the same cruise. Hubby has the refreshment package and me none, I only drink water and brewed iced tea. We have not gotten any phone calls at all.

Both people having to buy a package only refers to the alcohol package, not refreshment or soda packages.

Few have been in one, so many may not know what that means.

Biker, who very vaguely remembers buying something in a Casablanca one.

You can call it Turkish or Indian... :)

My first cruise will be on the Oasis August 19th and I’m already being nickel and dimed before setting foot onboard. Here is the situation...I have a medical letter so I can waive the drink package well 2 phone reps have tried to convince me to get the regular drink package and I’ve had to explain yet again no soft drinks and I have to avoid sugar so I wouldn’t get my monies worth. They then press on telling me I really need to purchase it even though my balcony cabin comes with a soda package that I won’t use. I’m just so annoyed that I’ve spent all this money on this vacation and they are relentless before I even step on the ship. Is there anyone to voice these concerns to at Royal? I’m getting a bad feeling about how it’s going to be once we’re on the ship. Am I being set up for a week long sales pitch?!?:confused:

I would stop looking for problems and enjoy your cruise.

Just for comparision, go look up today's one week cruise pricing. Now, compare to this pricing:

SS Norway, 1981

Inside $960 per person

outside $1,290 per person

pls port taxes

Yes, drinks were in the 50 cent range

So, which do you prefer? Today's very low cabin price? Or the 1981 prices?

Oh, almost forgot. If you doubt what I have listed, I copied directly from the NCL brochure covering the dates of January 4 thru June 14, 1981

So if RCI or any other cruise line tries hard to upsell, you might understand why they are looking for those nickels and dimes.

Oh what a flashback! I sailed on the SS Norway right around that time. Maybe 82 or 83? Seeing that cost, I’m amazed that my parents had the money to do that for our family! My copy of my mom’s house key is on an SS Norway keychain from that trip.

Fun! Thank you for the memories!

Sorry for the derail—carry on!