Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

31 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

This deserves a "HOLY WOW" button response!  Spectacular!  Lockdowns seem to have brought out inventiveness in people!  You would need the patience of Job and an arena-sized space to accomplish this.  My accolades to the person who did!

Just now, QueSeraSera said:

It is!, watching again tonight, totally "fixed where we are", but

What does "now we can't be arsed with the park" mean?

Que, I think it means "can't be bothered with the park"...Not interested in the park.  😄

• Thanks 1

And now for something a little different...

Don McLean (American Pie) wrote this song about Vincent van Gogh, who never sold a painting while he lived.  His brother supported him.  Whoever made this video deserves credit for selecting Vincent's paintings, which perfectly match Don McLean's lyrics, to pay tribute to this genius!

In a decade, he created about 2,100 artworks, including around 860 oil paintings, most of which date from the last two years of his life.  He died at age 37.

• Thanks 3

OK, how could I be so clueless as to not know that "Vincent" was about Van Gogh?

In my defense I guess, I was only 3 or 4 when the song came out, and I lived a very sheltered life in the country on a farm until I was 18, where I would have never heard of something as worldly as Van Gogh. By the time I went out into the rest of the world, I had long forgotten about that song, so I never made the connection. But I should have figured it out after having seen so many Van Gogh works over the past 10+ years of traveling!

Well, guess you're never too old to stop learning... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

OK, how could I be so clueless as to not know that "Vincent" was about Van Gogh?

In my defense I guess, I was only 3 or 4 when the song came out, and I lived a very sheltered life in the country on a farm until I was 18, where I would have never heard of something as worldly as Van Gogh. By the time I went out into the rest of the world, I had long forgotten about that song, so I never made the connection. But I should have figured it out after having seen so many Van Gogh works over the past 10+ years of traveling!

Well, guess you're never too old to stop learning... 🤦‍♂️

To continue the theme, who and what is Don Mclean's song 'American Pie' about?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

I know that one. "The Day The Music Died" is referring to the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper and a third musician whose name escapes me ATM... Valens?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I know that one. "The Day The Music Died" is referring to the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper and a third musician whose name escapes me ATM... Valens?

Richie Valens was the 3rd person............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

JP is correct---it is about the plane crash that happened in 1959.........here is a link so you

can read the details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pie_(song)

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Music, I was just reading on line---Christopher Plummer who played Capt Von Trapp in the Sound of Music died today......he was 91.

I will always remember him with that damn whistle when he wanted the kids.

45 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Speaking of Music, I was just reading on line---Christopher Plummer who played Capt Von Trapp in the Sound of Music died today......he was 91.

I will always remember him with that damn whistle when he wanted the kids.

Just reading his IMDB entry - he did a lot of films. I did not realise he was Canadian. He seemed to play a lot of military brass: Duke of Wellington, General Chang, Field Marshal Rommel. A great actor - RIP sir.

• Like 2