Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

4 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I love this so much I literally spat my coffee out! 😆😆😆

I did not mean to start your day off with a choke Stumble!  I am glad you enjoyed the funny though!  😁

17 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Silver Queen asked what was wrong?  I said, “This!  Look!  I’ve been making my coffee wrong all these years.”

And good job with the "Silver Queen".  Points for you!  😁

• Haha 1

The Stanley Tucci series finally got to me. We went to NY City Thursday night for dinner at Eataly. And we came home with some treats, of course! I got a slab of guanciale, to make pasta alla Gricia.

I sliced the good stuff and Chris cooked it down slowly while the pasta boiled. Not much fat in this frying pan...

20210313_170421.thumb.jpg.544f1905ce8296d4cf49167bf9bd30e4.jpg

Tossed the casarecce pasta with the guanciale and some pasta water to make a sauce,

20210313_171431.thumb.jpg.980b96bfe116cb8206599d287d012f08.jpg

Then added an ungodly amount of grated cheese, and tossed some more. 

20210313_171539.thumb.jpg.a9d13d6f135aaacaabf17d173fd135f9.jpg

Last ingredient was lots of freshly ground black pepper. The finished dish was incredibly tasty, especially with more cheese on top.

20210313_171902.thumb.jpg.3b6610db48b42bf769803a6769e8f259.jpg

We brought some Nebbiolo d'Alba back from Eataly but I thought this pasta went better with a Barbera. It was a great match and a delicious dinner. I might move in an hour or two...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

a daily dig at H&M - todays =

Hate to admit this, but I don't get it.  Not opposed or supportive, just ignorant I fear.  Love the royal family, been watching some great shows on Public Broadcasting here about UK history and their role in it.  Also have found that I found H a respectable fellow on a couple of TV appearances.

I do appreciate that when you have to explain a joke it loses its humor, my big brother taught me this at an early age 🙂.  Just decided to share that at least one American who values the special relationship is bewildered by the whole business.   :classic_unsure:  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

We brought some Nebbiolo d'Alba back from Eataly but I thought this pasta went better with a Barbera. It was a great match and a delicious dinner. I might move in an hour or two...

Lovely pictures!  And yeah, that's the trouble with Italian food:  4 or 5 days later you get hungry again! 🤣

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Hate to admit this, but I don't get it.  Not opposed or supportive, just ignorant I fear.  Love the royal family, been watching some great shows on Public Broadcasting here about UK history and their role in it.  Also have found that I found H a respectable fellow on a couple of TV appearances.

I do appreciate that when you have to explain a joke it loses its humor, my big brother taught me this at an early age 🙂.  Just decided to share that at least one American who values the special relationship is bewildered by the whole business.   :classic_unsure:  

Que, I think part of the issue relates to having lost one king previously to an American divorcée.  Wallis, Duchess of Windsor known as Wallis Simpson, was an American socialite and wife of the Duke of Windsor, the former British king Edward VIII. Their intention to marry and her status as a divorcée caused a constitutional crisis that led to Edward's abdication.  People may see similarities and recognize that neither of these situations actually worked out very well.  Humour results!  Harry has always come across as a good sort.  Meghan, unfortunately, does not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mysty said:

Que, I think part of the issue relates to having lost one king previously to an American divorcée.  Wallis, Duchess of Windsor known as Wallis Simpson, was an American socialite and wife of the Duke of Windsor, the former British king Edward VIII. Their intention to marry and her status as a divorcée caused a constitutional crisis that led to Edward's abdication.  People may see similarities and recognize that neither of these situations actually worked out very well.  Humour results!  Harry has always come across as a good sort.  Meghan, unfortunately, does not.

There also seems to be a broad consensus that Wallis Simpson very much merited that 'b' word.  There is a 'cozy' mystery series called Her Royal Spyness which is set in that period and takes a very dim view of Mrs. Simpson and her effect on Edward.  Those books show a very different view of the monarchy:  the heroine-detective is '35th in line to the throne,' but flat broke in the Great Depression, and because of her royal connection unable to work - it isn't done, you know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Wicked sense of humour dear lady!  Love it! 

If you grew up in a Commonwealth country and sang "God Save the Queen"  every morning at school,  you understand the Royal  Family.   I  fear when  the Queen is no  longer with us,   we will  not be in the Commonwealth for long.   My husband and I met Charles and Diana  on one of their trips to  Australia,  she was incredibly popular here.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

If you grew up in a Commonwealth country and sang "God Save the Queen"  every morning at school,  you understand the Royal  Family.   I  fear when  the Queen is no  longer with us,   we will  not be in the Commonwealth for long.   My husband and I met Charles and Diana  on one of their trips to  Australia,  she was incredibly popular here.

As an American, I have no insight into sentiment in the Commonwealth or Britain.  But I personally am happy to foresee William and Kate as the English monarchs.  Sometimes the succession works out well.  And watching the volatility of political succession in various republican countries, I also understand the stability that a constitutional monarchy provides.  Long live the Queen!

• Like 3

Last night I cooked a brasserie classic, Cabillaud a la Boulangere.  All you need is some first rate cod, fried onions, potatoes which will absorb a homemade, gelatinous chicken stock, garlic and a pinch of saffron.  Voila!

After that we watched How the West Was Won in the Smilebox format.

DSC_0008.jpg

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 5