Straws on the NCL Dawn?

blueflower1968

I was on the Dawn last week. I had brought some reusable straws for my frozen drinks but didn't actually use them. Since the straws have been eliminated, they now blend the frozen drinks until they are watery so straws aren't necessary. The drinks don't taste as good this way but they are drinkable.

That doesn't sound good:(

Takes the fun out of having the UBP if my DH doesn't get to enjoy a Mudslide that is thicker than chocolate milk.

I guess we will still bring along our re-usable straws just in case we can find an enjoyable frozen drink.

I was on the Dawn last week. I had brought some reusable straws for my frozen drinks but didn't actually use them. Since the straws have been eliminated, they now blend the frozen drinks until they are watery so straws aren't necessary. The drinks don't taste as good this way but they are drinkable.
That's not blending, that's melting!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, drinks served on deck are in plastic cups which does make the straw thing seem backwards. I read somewhere they're looking into changing that possibly using heavier, reusable, cups.

The difference is that the plastic cups are recyclable, where straws are not because it is not cost effective to recycle them, plus they clog up the recycle machines.

The difference is that the plastic cups are recyclable, where straws are not because it is not cost effective to recycle them, plus they clog up the recycle machines.

Makes you wonder why straws aren't made out of the same recyclable plastic as cups.

'Problem' solved.:confused:clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

Makes you wonder why straws aren't made out of the same recyclable plastic as cups.

'Problem' solved.:confused:clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

The problem is the size and shape of the straw - they are made of thin material, slender, could fall into machinery crevices, and cause several operational issues. So, recyclers are hesitant to take them. Eventually, they land up in landfills or elsewhere.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the drink straws on the Dawn? Do they still have them? If not, can I bring my own and do they have to be a certain kind?

Can I bring plastic or paper straws?

TY

:cool:

I am not worried about a straw for *most* beverages, but some frozen cocktails are less enjoyable if you're fighting to get it to come out of the glass.

For my upcoming cruise, I got the straws in the link below. They are heavy duty paper and larger diameter than a standard straw so I'm hoping they'll work well for my mudslides and DH's frozen margaritas. I may even be able to cut them in half to a "cocktail" length.

http://a.co/d8kNelz

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

Edited by Shellbelle28

Yes, drinks served on deck are in plastic cups which does make the straw thing seem backwards. I read somewhere they're looking into changing that possibly using heavier, reusable, cups.

Some of the straw issue is also the damage they do to sea life. Since they're small and so light, they apparently end up in the ocean quite often. On another straw thread someone posted a photo of a turtle with a straw stuck in its nose. It really was upsetting to see. No way of knowing if it was real or photo shopped but either way, I don't want to be responsible for hurting anything so I'll do what I can, when I can.

Do we know that the straw in the turtle's nose was caused by trash or did we just get the first photographic evidence of a turtle with a coke problem? We don't really know for sure. :confused:;p

My husband only drinks frozen drinks and he was just fine. Unless you have a disability/medical reason straws are not necessary.

In your opinion please don't speak for everyone. I just got back and had brought paper straws and they were horrible, didn't hold up at all. Quite a few people either brought plastic straws or when the ship docked in Costa Maya went and got plastic straws. When we docked at Harvest Cay they had straws and were giving them to passengers by the handful to take with them. Next cruise I'll be bringing reusable straws, frozen drinks aren't the same without something to sip them.

In your opinion please don't speak for everyone. I just got back and had brought paper straws and they were horrible, didn't hold up at all. Quite a few people either brought plastic straws or when the ship docked in Costa Maya went and got plastic straws. When we docked at Harvest Cay they had straws and were giving them to passengers by the handful to take with them. Next cruise I'll be bringing reusable straws, frozen drinks aren't the same without something to sip them.

Sorry, but I have yet to meet someone that is unable drink a liquid beverage without a straw that does not have a medical reason. Do straws add to the enjoyment of a drink, sometimes. But are they *necessary* to consume a beverage?

Can you just drink directly from a cup?

The number of threads about getting rid of straws on land and at sea is amazing. How on earth did homo sapiens survive for millions of years before drinking straws?

People need to get a grip.

way too funny, but Homo Sapiens did not have frozen drinks back then that all gravitated onto their face when trying to take a drink from the cup. Extremely difficult to drink a frozen drink without a straw or at least a spoon. Other drinks, No Problem drinking without a straw!

Sorry, but I have yet to meet someone that is unable drink a liquid beverage without a straw that does not have a medical reason. Do straws add to the enjoyment of a drink, sometimes. But are they *necessary* to consume a beverage?

They are if it is the consistency of a milkshake. Otherwise, either you tip the cup and nothing happens, or it all glubs out at once leaving it all over your face.

They are if it is the consistency of a milkshake. Otherwise, either you tip the cup and nothing happens, or it all glubs out at once leaving it all over your face.

And as many have mentioned, there are no drinks with that consistency on the ships. Also, in those scenarios (on land) you can use a spoon.

In my opinion it is necessary for me to not only drink my frozen drink but to enjoy it as well, and yes there were plenty of drinks that had the consistency of a milkshake, lol. :)

way too funny, but Homo Sapiens did not have frozen drinks back then that all gravitated onto their face when trying to take a drink from the cup. Extremely difficult to drink a frozen drink without a straw or at least a spoon. Other drinks, No Problem drinking without a straw!

That's the solution!!! NCL should provide everyone with those environmentally-safe plastic spoons that miraculously degrade in our landfills in minutes!! No laws banning those, so they must be good!!! :')

The mudslides are still quite thick in some bars on ship...

Are there still stirrers available? I like a stirrer for my gin and tonics. [emoji846]

When I was on the Gem in June, they still put stirrers in drinks sometimes and would always give you one if you asked. They are the little bamboo ones with a knot in the top. Not plastic stirrers.

When I was on the Gem in June, they still put stirrers in drinks sometimes and would always give you one if you asked. They are the little bamboo ones with a knot in the top. Not plastic stirrers.

Bamboo ones are fine. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as many have mentioned, there are no drinks with that consistency on the ships. Also, in those scenarios (on land) you can use a spoon.

That is completely false; I was just on the Dawn in May. At that time the mudslides were too thick to drink without a straw, unless you want to be wearing it. So, are they going to start giving us spoons instead?

I continue to be amazed how unhelpful people's responses can be....either answer the question or move on......no place for soap boxes and GADave makes a good point.....geesh people

This post is not helpful and someone standing on their soapbox. Geesh. People.

This post is not helpful and someone standing on their soapbox. Geesh. People.

I was really glad I came across this topic because I was totally unaware that they had banned use of straws. At my last cruise in October 2017 they were still sticking a straw in every single drink. I appreciate being alerted because I really do like to have a straw to drink frozen drinks with. Because of the information I was able to go online and find an environmentally safe alternative. 60726432e1d1a92bd668132688b94ee5.jpg

Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums