Can you get onboard with a declined card?

If op is sailing Princess, the daily gratuity is $13.50 per guest for all cabins except mini suites and club class, which are $14.50 and suites, which are $15.50. The prices you quoted are from a couple years ago. I strongly recommend that OP PAY THIS AHEAD.

My sailing buddy gives them a charge card but then pays off any charges in cash almost every day. This may be the answer to Ops quandary.

I don’t think they actually submit the bill to your credit company until after the cruise so paying off your charges every evening is a great solution. Using a debit card is strongly discouraged. I can use my debit card as a credit card. Perhaps you can too?

Maureen

While they don't charge the card until the end of the cruise, they run holds frequently. Once a hold is declined, they will not accept that card as payment until your debit/credit company is contacted.

WOW, just WOW...going on a cruise vacation and limiting yourself to NOTHING. The saying goes, pack half as much and take twice as much money.

Did You miss the part that they bought the drink package and have already paid for excursions? That's not limiting yourself to nothing, just pay ahead.

Pat

I originally used a debit card in the online checkin, but I plan to edit that to add about $200 in AARP rewards cards, and then add cash on the day we board. If we have both the cards and cash in the account, will they debit from the cards before they touch the cash? I'd rather not have to wait on them to send a card with balance owed, if they have taken the cash first.

WOW, just WOW...going on a cruise vacation and limiting yourself to NOTHING. The saying goes, pack half as much and take twice as much money.

My last cruise I added about $20 over the gratuities onto my account in cash and went and got a nearly $20 refund on the last night of the cruise. Yep...that's right....didn't spend even one penny on board. Not everyone needs to go on a cruise with hundreds to blow on board. Now, that's not to say I didn't have extra cash that I spent ashore. I have never attached a card to my onboard account.

Did You miss the part that they bought the drink package and have already paid for excursions? That's not limiting yourself to nothing, just pay ahead.

Pat

Maybe I misread something but it sounds like the OP has paid for excursions and drinks but is concerned about paying for gratuities and other possible onboard purchases because of not having a credit card with available balance? IF this is the case, the priorities taken are quite baffling.....just going to throw this out there....might want to give up the drinks or the excursions and instead use that particular cash as an onboard account....

We always use a cash account ( there is no set amount you have to give) and you can use the kiosk to load the cash onto your S&S acct if you do not want to do it at the customer service counter. You should be fine and no issue boarding.

Quick question though, do you have a credit card in case of emergency (any emergency like say you fall on deck and need to pay the ship infirmary, it happens)?

Gratuities is the one thing that can be added to the stateroom, taxes, port fees when you book a room.

Cheers, endless bubbles and shore excursions require payment in full to be removed from the shopping cart to paid in full status.

What we are doing is buying and getting Carnival gift cards for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas etc. We can apply the cards $100 at a time to room balance, but we have to wait til we have enough to cover the whole cost of shore excursions or cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I originally used a debit card in the online checkin, but I plan to edit that to add about $200 in AARP rewards cards, and then add cash on the day we board. If we have both the cards and cash in the account, will they debit from the cards before they touch the cash? I'd rather not have to wait on them to send a card with balance owed, if they have taken the cash first.

They will run holds on the cards still and deduct charges from the cash.

Thank you so much for the helpful advice, everyone! You’ve alleviated my concerns and I’m very greatful for your insights.

To those concerned about me going on board with “nothing”, that’s not technically true. It’s a long and irrelevant story but bottom line is Money doesn’t deposit until the following day after embarkation day. I’ve quite literally paid everything off already including hotel and parking. I’ll more than likely just pay off the gratuities by cash on embarkation day then as most of you have suggested. The only reason why they weren’t prepaid to begin with I because I assumed (wrongly) that the travel agent I booked with included the prepaid gratuities and it wasn’t until quite recently when I was printing the boarding documents that I noticed the gratuities were not added.

Solo traveling is scary but exciting and I feel like a bride before the wedding so I get consumed by irrational anxieties sometimes, haha. Thanks again, everyone!

Edited by KnightmareBonnie

Anyone can just do a cash account on the ship. Here is the link from Carnival.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1138/~/sail-%26-sign-onboard-account

Sail & Sign Account Opened with Cash or Traveler's Checks

• Guests may activate their Sail & Sign account on Carnival.com, My Cruise Manager, Online Check-in, or on the first day of the cruise at embarkation.
  • Guests must deposit cash (USD currency only) or Traveler's Checks (USD currency only) at Guest Services on the first day of the cruise. The following minimum cash deposits are recommended:
    • 2 - 4 day cruise: $100 USD per person
    • 5 - 8 day cruise: $200 USD per person
    • 9 days or longer: $350 USD per person

[*]Guests may add additional cash to their account by visiting the Guest Services desk on board.

I always find it amazzing how some people can post false information.... because no one is accountable. Here is the post I made on page 1 of this thread, from Carnival's own website and terms. Absolutily cash accounts are allowed and no one would ever be told they cannot board because they want a cash account.

This thread should be closed as the question has been completely answered.

Thank you so much for the helpful advice, everyone! You’ve alleviated my concerns and I’m very greatful for your insights.

To those concerned about me going on board with “nothing”, that’s not technically true. It’s a long and irrelevant story but bottom line is Money doesn’t deposit until the following day after embarkation day. I’ve quite literally paid everything off already including hotel and parking. I’ll more than likely just pay off the gratuities by cash on embarkation day then as most of you have suggested. The only reason why they weren’t prepaid to begin with I because I assumed (wrongly) that the travel agent I booked with included the prepaid gratuities and it wasn’t until quite recently when I was printing the boarding documents that I noticed the gratuities were not added.

Solo traveling is scary but exciting and I feel like a bride before the wedding so I get consumed by irrational anxieties sometimes, haha. Thanks again, everyone!

Good to hear!

There are young people just starting out that may not have the resources we do. They can fully enjoy their cruise by just paying for the fare, a drink package and gratuity.

Since the OP posted in the Carnival forum it must be presumed she's sailing with Carnival. Most debit cards may be used as a credit card but that doesn't change the nature of the holds or what happens if your account is overdrawn because of holds.

I’m actually using Tapatalk and didn’t realize it was a Carnival board. I have no idea how that happened. I apologize.

I’m actually using Tapatalk and didn’t realize it was a Carnival board. I have no idea how that happened. I apologize.

I find a lot of questions posted, pertain to most main cruise lines, but are posted as such because the poster has booked that line.

A lot of very good questions, but unfortunately limited to the specific cruise line the poster has posted on.

I did my first Solo cruise back in Feb. It was scary, but exhilarating at the same time. I loved it so much, my next three are solo. Have a great time!!

Maybe I misread something but it sounds like the OP has paid for excursions and drinks but is concerned about paying for gratuities and other possible onboard purchases because of not having a credit card with available balance? IF this is the case, the priorities taken are quite baffling.....just going to throw this out there....might want to give up the drinks or the excursions and instead use that particular cash as an onboard account....

I think that you've misread the OP completely, nowhere does she even hint that she won't be paying her gratuities.

Not a necessary comment....Just trying to prove a point....you never know what you might need to buy, so you need to plan extra finances.

Sounds like the only issue OP has is when her paycheck gets deposited. I understand that completely. We leave for Germany on Friday and my paycheck goes into the bank on Saturday and part of that money may be used while in Germany (we'll likely only be buying a few souvenirs). We are staying with family so there will be no need for any large expenditures and we certainly have other resources if we needed to use them, although I would prefer not to have to. We've also learned over the years to pack a bag of over the counter meds that may come in handy, cold medicine, anti-itch cream, etc. and that goes with us even if we're just doing an overnight date night somewhere.