If someone gets caught sneaking Booze

traveler2100

They are going to charge high prices regardless, because they can! You are held captive and if you want to drink booze you will pay for it. Reminds me of going to a NLF or MLB game. Beers are $12 for a reason and it isn't because people are sneaking in their own.

Hi

Yea, I have heard how they shanghai people and force them onto these cruises, and then they wait till they are real thirsty and force them to spend something like six dollars for a beer. There should be a law against it. :)

first , if you dont believe that smuggling is factored into prices you dont know business

Have to disagree with you on this.

Business will charge prices based on what the traffic will bear and to maximize profitability. Do not believe they add anything due to smuggling. Besides do not believe there is a huge amount of smuggling going on in any case.

We made friends with a couple who had smuggled liquor onto the Triumph a couple years ago. They were caught mixing their own drinks on the lido deck. The crew then searched their cabin and confiscated their booze and found some other things like pot and cocaine. They didn't get in any legal trouble, however, they had their sail and sign cards taken away for the remainder of the cruise, so that they couldn't purchase anything even if they wanted to. They didn't seem to mind anyway, since they had a bunch of their friends buying drinks for them that night.

Do they set up a bar complete with highball glasses, mixers, and a blender ?

Business will charge prices based on what the traffic will bear and to maximize profitability. Do not believe they add anything due to smuggling. Besides do not believe there is a huge amount of smuggling going on in any case.

Do stores consider shoplifting and other shrinkage into their prices?

Edited by Lottacruises

you can certainly disagree.. that's your right

what the traffic will bear and to maximize profitability

and when the smuggling eats into profitability (as they see it) , they will raise the prices.

Of course Carnival factors in smuggling, Cheers sharing, etc. Go the last day of the cruise to where cruisers collect confiscated booze and see what Carnival got. Then figure they only detect a fraction of what is smuggled.

Of course Carnival factors in smuggling, Cheers sharing, etc. Go the last day of the cruise to where cruisers collect confiscated booze and see what Carnival got. Then figure they only detect a fraction of what is smuggled.
Just an FYI, Carnival stopped returning confiscated liquor years ago.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Forums mobile app

Before we go on a cruise we watch youtube videos. If people did not smuggle booze i would not get to watch carnival took my booze videos. In younger days i might consider smuggling because in Caribbean you want to be a pirate. As far as the morality i was taugh christ came to save sinners soo if you want to be saved you have to sin. Perfect people need not apply. Now illegal items i am totally against. I pose a question..i was in the port of galveston to the left was table to have to pay texas taxes but to right was my luggage with a porter. How many folks have pulled their luggage off to open to pay taxes?

Just an FYI, Carnival stopped returning confiscated liquor years ago.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Next time, lock your luggage. It should at least make it to the naughty room.

Carnival has for a really long time prohibited cruisers from bringing on liquor, but didn't enforce it. You could hear liquor bottles clinking in peoples carry on luggage. In the good old days Carnival knew how much was brought on the ship by counting the empty bottles that were discarded on the ship. Then Carnival cracked down and rum runners appeared.

Next time, lock your luggage. It should at least make it to the naughty room.

Carnival has for a really long time prohibited cruisers from bringing on liquor, but didn't enforce it. You could hear liquor bottles clinking in peoples carry on luggage. In the good old days Carnival knew how much was brought on the ship by counting the empty bottles that were discarded on the ship. Then Carnival cracked down and rum runners appeared.

Nope never been caught, never locked my luggage... just saying they don't have a confiscated table the last day any longer.

Nope never been caught, never locked my luggage... just saying they don't have a confiscated table the last day any longer.

Okay. I thought people were whining about how they had to pick up debarkation morning, but not giving it back should certainly take care of that complaint. :D

Okay. I thought people were whining about how they had to pick up debarkation morning, but not giving it back should certainly take care of that complaint. :D

That table at debarkation is for when you bring liquor back to the ship from one of the ports... not embarkation day. You can bring liquor to the ship at any port, you are supposed to declare it and they have a table set up so you can register it with your room number. That lets you pick it up on debarkation morning.

Sorry this does not ring true to me. If they found pot and cocaine in their cabin the authorities would have been notified and they would have been arrested when they got to a port.

Just not sure if it would be have been one of the ports ship was sailing to or back in the home port.

I don’t want to say too much identifying information for fear of getting a dear friend in trouble, but I was told by a person I’ve known for over 50 years who is a high ranking official with a port authority that it behooves the cruise lines to not report personal drug use to US officals because if a particular ship, itenerary or even frequent passenger is reported, it will slow down the embarcation and debarcation process for not just the current cruise but also for cruises in the future.

Our first time in a balcony was when the kids were young and our neighbors were smoking a ton of marijuana. We asked them to stop while the boys were outside, we aren’t narcs and had no judgment (my husband and his brothers smoke from time to time during the holidays) we figured they’d be nice about it. One of the people was so irate by our request that he created a huge scene and another cabin called security....leading to their stash of marijuana, coke, misclelanous pills and some liquids in jars (the security people were not discrete and we were also temporarily detained to make sure everything was ok) being hauled out of the room. No cops at any port or when we got home! Obviously I was confused and my friend explained how everything works over lunch at the home port.

I know most drugs are more of a danger to the user than by-standers but I don’t like to know the lines game the systems designed to protect us. Our incident was on a Carnival ship but he said all the lines do it and NCL has one of the worst track records.

While unlikely for most offenders, the downside?

"Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy."

Read your ticket contract.

No way they will ever deny boarding for someone trying to get booze on board, no way. All they will do is take it and drink it later. :D They want the $$$$ spent on board.

breaking the rules costs others because they build the prices with people that smuggle in mind so it hurts the honest people.

I realize the smugglers will all say that's nonsense but if someone doesn't believe that businesses take these things into account when they determine prices, they are very naive

It doesn't, because drinking adult beverages is not mandatory. You're assuming everyone must drink. My DH doesn't drink by choice. He gambles, I don't, which also is not mandatory. Because I don't gamble, Carnival takes that into account in their pricing, and because my DH will never purchase a drink on board, they factor that into pricing? I don't think so.

I bring on rum runners AND I also BUY drinks on the ship throughout the cruise.

If Carnival takes my rumrunners, so be it and I know the risk, I won't be complaining, and I don't blame them one bit. BUT, In that case, I wouldn't purchase one drink on the ship, I'll just buy drinks in port. Thats just how I am, take my booze, you lose. :p

Even with me bringing my booze on the ship, they make lots of money on me. Just because people bring booze on board, does not mean they're alcoholics, which so many think is the case.

If Carnival takes my rumrunners, so be it and I know the risk, I won't be complaining, and I don't blame them one bit. BUT, In that case, I wouldn't purchase one drink on the ship, I'll just buy drinks in port. Thats just how I am, take my booze, you lose. :p

Even with me bringing my booze on the ship, they make lots of money on me. Just because people bring booze on board, does not mean they're alcoholics, which so many think is the case.

Rumrunners are a very good solution and they work.

We made friends with a couple who had smuggled liquor onto the Triumph a couple years ago. They were caught mixing their own drinks on the lido deck. The crew then searched their cabin and confiscated their booze and found some other things like pot and cocaine. They didn't get in any legal trouble, however, they had their sail and sign cards taken away for the remainder of the cruise, so that they couldn't purchase anything even if they wanted to. They didn't seem to mind anyway, since they had a bunch of their friends buying drinks for them that night.

I know you are posting what you were told, but the story doesn’t sound even remotely true. If they had illegal drugs, they would have been turned over to the local authorities when returning to their home port. They would not take away S&S cards, they would remove the ability to buy alcohol on the cards. If they were flagged, security would be watching them to ensure they didn’t drink. Bottom line, I don’t believe one part of the story you were told.