Cruising after Brexit.

emam

Not true according to the Passport Office https://www.passports-office.co.uk/blog/passport_validity_entry_requirements/

Wouldn't like to put it to the test though!!

That link is to a passport office but not HM Passport Office. So I would not consider the information definitive.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Every holiday I, or my family, have booked have said that you need to have 6 months left on your passport as of commencement. I was told it was in case of accident or other incident that necessitated an unforseen lengthy stay. They needed to ensure that your passport would still be valid upon return.

The passport office does not govern foreign customs and excise (or equivalent) offices.

That is the same as before the EEC came in. An international permit, wasn't difficult then, shouldn't be now.

But not for most of us. We have had the convenience of not having to waste time or spending money to get permits to drive or visas to travel in the EU to our closest neighbours.

So more time, more money and more beurocracy as I said.

Every holiday I, or my family, have booked have said that you need to have 6 months left on your passport as of commencement. I was told it was in case of accident or other incident that necessitated an unforseen lengthy stay. They needed to ensure that your passport would still be valid upon return.

The passport office does not govern foreign customs and excise (or equivalent) offices.

You definitely don't need 6 months on your passport to go to USA. It only needs to be valid for the proposed length of trip.

Far dearer cruising due to the plunging value of the pound.

While we wish you success in whatever direction you choose to take, should the result be a "plunging value" of the pound, you will likely see far more Canadians aboard P&O. Relief from the current $14. (CDN) cocktail would be a nice addition :D

British cruisers are notorious (as a generalization) as being very poor spenders when on board and ashore. So cruise lines and ports are more than happy to encourage a much more diverse clientele. Cruise lines are also gearing up to the Australian and the high spending Asian market. Passengers from these areas are quite prepared to fly to Europe for their cruises, and would easily make up for any decline in British cruisers.

British cruisers are notorious (as a generalization) as being very poor spenders when on board and ashore. So cruise lines and ports are more than happy to encourage a much more diverse clientele. Cruise lines are also gearing up to the Australian and the high spending Asian market. Passengers from these areas are quite prepared to fly to Europe for their cruises, and would easily make up for any decline in British cruisers.

The reference to the 'plunging pound' was in regard to the price structure of P&O's cruises offered we Canadians in that we pay the equivalent fare offered to the UK in pounds but ours doers not include air. And that is priced in U.S. currency which of course we have to further convert. The degree to which we enjoyed our first P&O cruise, with now a booking for 2019, might be expressed in that sum.

• 2 months later...

This is increasingly becoming a live issue after today's Sunday Times report "No-deal Brexit travel warning: don’t go on holiday after March 29" - based on leaked government information.

"Families will be advised not to book holidays after next March, according to contingency plans being drawn up to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.

The proposed guidance, which will shock the travel industry, was expected to be discussed at last week’s cancelled cabinet meeting, after civil servants were told to ramp up emergency planning."

There must be a lot of people seriously considering cancelling post-Brexit cruise bookings (I'm one of them - minimal deposit lost) in case they turn into holidays from hell.  Delays getting back into the UK is one thing, but delays getting into cruise ports if the present card system's withdrawn is another thing entirely.

20 minutes ago, docco said:

This is increasingly becoming a live issue after today's Sunday Times report "No-deal Brexit travel warning: don’t go on holiday after March 29" - based on leaked government information.

"Families will be advised not to book holidays after next March, according to contingency plans being drawn up to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.

The proposed guidance, which will shock the travel industry, was expected to be discussed at last week’s cancelled cabinet meeting, after civil servants were told to ramp up emergency planning."

There must be a lot of people seriously considering cancelling post-Brexit cruise bookings (I'm one of them - minimal deposit lost) in case they turn into holidays from hell.  Delays getting back into the UK is one thing, but delays getting into cruise ports if the present card system's withdrawn is another thing entirely.

Now that is scaremongering. I has been announced this week that a 3 year “pass” will be 7€. Whatever Brexit we have. But only for those under 70. Otherwise free.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, daiB said:

Now that is scaremongering. I has been announced this week that a 3 year “pass” will be 7€. Whatever Brexit we have. But only for those under 70. Otherwise free.

The cost of the entrance has little to do with it. That’s just a triviality by comparison with the other issues likely to arise if we crash out, and that’s the point of the forthcoming government warning.

5 minutes ago, docco said:

The cost of the entrance has little to do with it. That’s just a triviality by comparison with the other issues likely to arise if we crash out, and that’s the point of the forthcoming government warning.

But the mechanism is in place now for all types of Brexit with regard to holidays in the EU. That part is relatively simple. I am certainly not discussing BREXIT but introducing aspects which have been dealt with seems superfluous.

Ther aspects of the subject are not for this forum.

2 minutes ago, daiB said:

But the mechanism is in place now for all types of Brexit with regard to holidays in the EU. That part is relatively simple. I am certainly not discussing BREXIT but introducing aspects which have been dealt with seems superfluous.

Ther aspects of the subject are not for this forum.

Puzzled as to why you think that. There is no mechanism in place for a no deal exit. That’s the whole point. And the whole point of this thread is to discuss ‘Cruising after Brexit’.

16 minutes ago, dorsetlad said:

Think a lot of people seem to be frightened of their own shadows. Other non EU countries don't appear to have the problems being envisaged in this thread.

22 minutes ago, BrianI said:

Once we do leave, we will be in the same position as other countries outside the EU, such as the USA. They don't seem to have any problem accessing cruises or travelling for any other reason.

Brian

These are the misconceptions that the Brexiteers like to spread.  The plain fact is, though, that each non-EU country (including the US) has agreements in place with the EU (and each other) to allow for the quick passage of cruise passengers, particularly at ports visited.  It works very well.

After Brexit, though (if we crash out without a deal) the UK will have no such agreements in place with any country because it's a situation nobody expected and one that we haven't planned for.  That's why it's termed crashing out - or a 'no-deal' Brexit.

I sincerely hope that a deal is worked out for an orderly Brexit, but time is running out, and the default option is no deal.  I say that for all sorts of reasons, but one of them is the desire not to have my pre-booked cruises made a misery by long passport queues.

2 hours ago, docco said:

These are the misconceptions that the Brexiteers like to spread.  The plain fact is, though, that each non-EU country (including the US) has agreements in place with the EU (and each other) to allow for the quick passage of cruise passengers, particularly at ports visited.  It works very well.

After Brexit, though (if we crash out without a deal) the UK will have no such agreements in place with any country because it's a situation nobody expected and one that we haven't planned for.  That's why it's termed crashing out - or a 'no-deal' Brexit.

I sincerely hope that a deal is worked out for an orderly Brexit, but time is running out, and the default option is no deal.  I say that for all sorts of reasons, but one of them is the desire not to have my pre-booked cruises made a misery by long passport queues.

So why are you peddling misinformation. This has been taken care of. The systems are in place for travelers to enter the EU.

Edited by daiB

15 minutes ago, daiB said:

So why are you peddling misinformation. This has been taken care of. The systems are in place for travelers to enter the EU.

No misinformation. The systems currently in place finish, without any replacement, on the day that we leave the EU if we leave without a deal. No deal means no systems in place for the UK, which will be out on its own with nothing in place.

10 minutes ago, docco said:

No misinformation. The systems currently in place finish, without any replacement, on the day that we leave the EU if we leave without a deal. No deal means no systems in place for the UK, which will be out on its own with nothing in place.

Once again you deliberately misquote or misunderstand. This system was announced Two days ago when the cost was announced. This will kick in whatever Brexit happens. So to reply to the OP after Brexit when cruising you will buy a “pass” which will last 3 years. 

That is how it will effect crusing. 

As as I said before any other discussion on Brexit should not be allowed as we are on a cruising site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, daiB said:

Once again you deliberately misquote or misunderstand. This system was announced Two days ago when the cost was announced. This will kick in whatever Brexit happens. So to reply to the OP after Brexit when cruising you will buy a “pass” which will last 3 years. 

That is how it will effect crusing. 

As as I said before any other discussion on Brexit should not be allowed as we are on a cruising site.

You misunderstand what’s happening. The ETIAS document doesn’t help at all with the queues that will be created if we leave without a deal. It doesn’t mean you won’t need to go through the non-EU passport queues. It just replaces the visa that would otherwise be needed. 

And as for port visits, having to queue up at passport control instead of just going through with ship cards will be a nightmare.