Proposing on a Carnival Cruise Vacation???

iamchrisstone

If one were to propose on a cruise........????? here are a few questions.

1) Does Carnival, John Heald, the CD or the Captain do anything special or willing to help out? With THOUSANDS of people on a cruise ship, I'm assuming they can't.

2) What are some creative ideas/thoughts to propose?

3) What are some of the stories you've heard about?

Since I would prefer quiet and private, how about on an open deck under the stars in the evening? Or take your beloved to the steak house and propose quietly after dessert.

I imagine the Cruise Director would arrange something "special" if you would want to ask during a game show, etc.

On my last cruise a couple got engaged on one of the beaches while we were in port (they were behind me in line to get back on the ship, I didn't witness it). I thought that was great because it can still be private but with beautiful surroundings. But I'm sure if you write to John and tell him the date you are planning he could probably give you a surprise. He's done so for much less special things! Onther note, any advice on how to discreetly get my boyfriend to see this? Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

I'm personally not into private events becoming a big public production...seems a little cheesy to me these days. The best surprises are truly unexpected.

One idea is to do it near the gangway when you arrive at a pretty port of call. It will be unexpected, there will be people around to cheer you on, and they always have photographers there who would be more than happy to snap a few pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a recent cruise, don’t recall which one exactly, someone proposed during the welcome aboard show. I was also on a ship a few years ago where something similar happened at some event, where the girl said no to the proposal. I didn’t see that one first hand but heard the story from lots of people during the cruise.

Fine, the pier. Who cares? This is why public proposals are dumb. You'll always be upsetting somebody no matter what you do. It is 2018 after all

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As long as they aren’t blocking traffic off of the boat I don’t care. Move it to the end of the pier...that’s fine with me.

My (now) son-in-law proposed to my daughter with our wait staff's help. They hid the ring in a butter dish at our table. The family was in on it, but my daughter had no idea! When the bread basket came around, we passed the butter to her first. Her reaction was priceless! It was a great, private, family moment.

• Like 2

I was on a cruise with friends when he proposed to her. They had a private dinner at the steak house. He got the maitre'd in on it, as well as the waiters. After dinner, the waiter came over with a covered platter, explaining that he had a special dessert. When he lifted the cover there was a single red rose and an engagement ring displayed in its box. My friend got on his knee and proposed. It was a private thing in a public place. (She said yes.) Very sweet.

Just came off Pride - a young man proposed to his girl at the Steakhouse on the 2nd night of the trip. She said yes!! They were with a large group of friends, so they were all happy for the couple (and obviously in on it since the steakhouse brought out special desserts and had champagne ready to go) :)

We saw a proposal on maho beach on st. Maarten. Lots of people around. Two or three people with cameras(probably some family) and he got down on one knee. It was semi private as he was off to the side and only those close could hear what was being said. We really only noticed when he went down on one knee. Seemed very easy and sweet. She must have said yes, saw hugs and clapping. Sometimes simpler is easier.

You could set a photo shoot with Dreams studio and propose on deck during the shoot to capture the memories...if you want something with a little wow factor without being over the top.

Personally I would prefer during a shore excursion, walk on beach etc - something that suits your personalities.

My husband almost proposed on top of the ruins at Alton Ha - that would have been cool.

He ultimately chose the giant aquarium with the whale sharks in Atlanta. There were people around but it was also very dark and private so no one knew but us.

I think it really boils down to what your intended would like best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Public" may not be such a good idea. What if she says "no"? Have witnessed this.....

Me, too. One where the young lady said no, another where she said yes and then explained to the young man in private that she said yes only because she didn't want to embarrass him but that her real answer was no. And then there was the hideous situation years ago where the young woman in question moved into another cabin (with another man) during the cruise and the woman that new man started the cruise with had to fly home in tears. It's the old law school axiom: Never ask a question unless you already know what the answer will be.

Edited by Langoustine

Personally, I don't get the whole proposing with an "audience" type thing. It puts the other person in an awkward position of having to say yes, to save face. It's just not right, IMHO.

I recently saw a Jeopardy episode where the guy proposed as he was playing the game and the girlfriend was in the audience watching and she was just like "yeah", and he goes on to play the game. So weird.

If I was her, I wouldn't have been happy, like that's the best you can do?

I think personal and private is best, either on the deck somewhere when no one else is around or in the cabin on the balcony. After all, it is all about those two people.

• 4 weeks later...

I say do it! Whatever you do will be special and memorable! And if you speak with your waitstaff, or whenever you plan, they will assist in making it special!!!

Much luck and love to you and your future wife! 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 12:01 AM, tonit964 said:

Personally, I don't get the whole proposing with an "audience" type thing. It puts the other person in an awkward position of having to say yes, to save face. It's just not right, IMHO.

I recently saw a Jeopardy episode where the guy proposed as he was playing the game and the girlfriend was in the audience watching and she was just like "yeah", and he goes on to play the game. So weird.

If I was her, I wouldn't have been happy, like that's the best you can do?

I think personal and private is best, either on the deck somewhere when no one else is around or in the cabin on the balcony. After all, it is all about those two people.

i'm the same way, but she wants it in front of a lot of people that we dont know.  i think that its because she likes to be in uncomfortable situations.

My son proposed to his girlfriend in January on the Carnival Magic.  Many of the ships offer a private photography session where they will follow you around to places on the ship and take nice pictures.  My son did it on formal night when they were both dressed up and the photographer got the whole thing with lots of pictures.  It was done on the deck just above lido. There were not a lot of people around and the sun was setting in the background.  It was very romantic and special.  There were some onlookers but not too many. They also did some pictures in the studio.  There was no required purchase if I remember correctly but my son did spend a couple hundred on several of the photos and a thumb drive.  Overall I thought it was a good idea since her parents were not able to be there and they could share the moment with them.  I was secretly following them to video it for her parents to see as well.

• Like 1