Tortola

The port has been open for cruise ships since last November, but now there is a brand new cruise port with space for 50 shops and rebuilt bus and taxi and excursion docking areas.

The island is still recovering but many businesses have reopened and many excursion companies have repaired or replaced boats. Pictures from the island show everything the way I remember it.. with a few exceptions such as Long Bay Hotel not reopened yet. I will see it in November on Breakaway.

Check your ship excursions - even if you aren't taking them. That will give yo an idea of what is functioning. Some of our group are going to the

Soggy Dollar in November.

Virgin Gorda is still limited to no services for beaches and meals, but most people access it from St. Thomas.

I certainly hope Jost van Dyke is still there along with the Soggy Dollar.

We are on the October 14 cruise on the Getaway. Have an NCL excursion booked to Jost van Dyke on the Rebel Yell. I can post back as well. I hope it is still there because we are going! Never been to Tortola before.

The first NCL ship calling on Tortola is the 10/14-10/21 Getaway. I’m on that sailing. Happy to report back

I did NOT know that this will be the first NCL ship calling on Tortola since the hurricane! I was just SO happy when I saw the excursion show up!

We too are on the 10/14 sailing and already booked for Jost Van Dyke. Cannot wait to revisit the Rebel Yell again...and will also report back.

• 4 weeks later...

Was on the NCL Getaway 10/14-21, including a stop at Tortola.  The shops at the port were all open and lovely just as before Irma slammed through.  We did the beach break excursion (booked on NCL) to Cane Garden Bay, and as you may know, this goes up and over the mountain from port.  You may be in a safari taxi (open air with a canopy over top), or you may be in an enclosed small bus with A/C.  The roads and ride can be hairy, oh for the thrill of adventure!  Cane Garden Bay did not disappoint, we had a wonderful day swimming, playing, lounging and soaking up pure paradise.  Damage from Irma is evident as you traverse the island, many many homes damaged and abandoned, the people though are as kind and welcoming as ever.  Cane Garden Bay also suffered in the hurricane with pretty much all the coconut palms stripped, and the dense foliage along the beach somewhat thinned.  I talked with a local there and he said he's been through many hurricanes and never saw coconut palms snap until Irma. Taking a cab on your own to a beach may give you bit more beach time than on a ship excursion, and I would feel safe doing so.  If an adventurous cab ride isn't for you, then the various catamaran and other boat charters were literally steps from getting off the ship.  I'm posting 2 pics, one from Cane Garden Bay when I was there in Nov 2016, and one from my recent trip - you can see it's still a gorgeous beach, just not quite as lush as previously.

20161119_114340.jpg

20181018_095342.jpg

On 10/3/2018 at 2:35 PM, mdsgu said:

I certainly hope Jost van Dyke is still there along with the Soggy Dollar.

Jost suffered major losses. The Soggy Dollar was washed away as were the other bars on the beach there. They are back open, but the bars are going to be different than what you remember.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:12 PM, zqvol said:

Jost suffered major losses. The Soggy Dollar was washed away as were the other bars on the beach there. They are back open, but the bars are going to be different than what you remember.

The bars are definitely NOT what we remembered (we were on the 10/14/18 Getaway sailing) although the beach is still just as beautiful.  The Soggy Dollar is sort of an open "room".....but we never stay there anyway and choose to walk further down the beach near Gertrudes. ( Only downside was that the bathroom "outhouse" now has a missing door that has been replaced by a broken down lounger sat on its end to try to cover the space!) Not sure how the Soggy Dollar's restroom facilities are now.  I heard someone complain that there was no food available for those that took the first Rebel Yell excursion over as they do two a day...one at around 7:00 am and one around 11:00 am.  We took the later and food WAS available at Gertrudes.  Again, some complained later that they were hungry and had no options when they arrived at Jost Van Dyke but this may be due to the early excursion time that these cruise passengers were on.  I would choose the later option for sure as even though we LOVE Jost Van Dyke, 7:00 am is a bit early to start a beach day.

Main issue we had was little to no shade unless you stay near Soggy Dollar where the music is very loud and there are tons of people in the ocean.  We prefer a more quiet setting in which to enjoy our drinks and the beautiful beach and managed to snag just about the only tree left along the beach that provided shade.  Drinks and food seemed even more expensive than last year...but we were happy to help them with recovery efforts if that was the reason for the increase.

Weather was perfect as was the 45 minute FAST sail on the Jost Van Dyke.  If you love beautiful beaches and crystal clear turquoise ocean waters than this is the place for you.  Also great if you prefer a beach party vibe as the Soggy Dollar still offers that.  Just in diminished quarters.

We would do it again in a heartbeat and intend to very soon.  Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

We were on the 10/14 Getaway.  Loved Tortola.  Took a $20 pp island tour sold from the dock area.  Beautiful island.

DSC00839.JPG

DSC00859.JPG

DSC00867.JPG

DSC00898.JPG

DSC00907.JPG

DSC00922.JPG

DSC00905.JPG

2 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

We were on the 10/14 Getaway.  Loved Tortola.  Took a $20 pp island tour sold from the dock area.  Beautiful island.

DSC00839.JPG

DSC00859.JPG

DSC00867.JPG

DSC00898.JPG

DSC00907.JPG

DSC00922.JPG

DSC00905.JPG

Going next month. Would appreciate very much if you can share more info on $20pp island tour such as who did you book with and how long was the tour.

Edited by sfaaa

You walk through the pink building and continue down the sidewalk past the gazebo where they have musicians playing.  There are 2 tours.  A 2 hour tour with a 15 minute beach stop at Cane Garden Bay for $20 pp and a 3 hour tour with a 1 hour beach stop for $25 pp.  You just ask when you get to the end of the walk for the 2 or 3 hour tour and they will get you on the right vehicle for your tour.  You pay at the end of the tour.  We got the information from the information both in the grey tent shown in front of the pink building on where to go.

DSC00839.JPG